Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What's Your "Mutant Power"?  (Read 10324 times)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your "Mutant Power"?
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;154123
I'm sorry if I'm not coming across clearly, but that really wasn't my point. I have Asperger's and was speaking specifically for myself and other of my friends on the Autism spectrum who are made to feel like we are somehow inherently inferior to neurotypical individuals. Whether or not our sensory processing issues inhibit our functioning is a separate issue.

Apparently I'm not communicating myself clearly, so I apologize.

I think there is some misunderstanding here, between labeling and stigma. Society can on the whole be a bunch of butts about anyone/thing that is different, treating different as bad and wrong. Labels can contribute to that(I'm sure we can think of a bunch of negative labels society forces upon others). The other thing about labels is that they can be useful and even empowering. Labeling some things, particularly in a medical sense can be useful for treatment, as well as a common language when referring to specific things. Some people also find empowerment in their labels, like when they finally have a word or diagnosis that makes sense to them, or if they're trying to reclaim something. On the other hand, there are those who don't want to be labeled with these things for a variety of reasons, including stigma. It's a thing that those with mental health face discrimination when seeking healthcare (link) It's going to be personal choice whether or not you(or anyone) want to use those labels
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2014, 08:06:06 pm »
Quote from: savvy;154129
I think there is some misunderstanding here, between labeling and stigma. Society can on the whole be a bunch of butts about anyone/thing that is different, treating different as bad and wrong. Labels can contribute to that(I'm sure we can think of a bunch of negative labels society forces upon others). The other thing about labels is that they can be useful and even empowering. Labeling some things, particularly in a medical sense can be useful for treatment, as well as a common language when referring to specific things. Some people also find empowerment in their labels, like when they finally have a word or diagnosis that makes sense to them, or if they're trying to reclaim something. On the other hand, there are those who don't want to be labeled with these things for a variety of reasons, including stigma. It's a thing that those with mental health face discrimination when seeking healthcare (link) It's going to be personal choice whether or not you(or anyone) want to use those labels
I feel like there's also a misunderstanding of the difference between "I dislike the assumption that everyone is okay with this label, because I personally experience it as contributing to the stigma I face, and I have spoken to others whose experience is similar" and "labels are bad."
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2014, 10:51:14 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;154131
I feel like there's also a misunderstanding of the difference between "I dislike the assumption that everyone is okay with this label, because I personally experience it as contributing to the stigma I face, and I have spoken to others whose experience is similar" and "labels are bad."

I have a tendency to dream about things that I come across the very next day.  Most of them have to do with news items, or something that is the subject of a discussion that a person or persons have in my hearing.  It's a very non-spectacular type of precognition.

Bees99

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2014, 02:26:49 pm »
Quote from: Altair;148718
I'm a hard science guy, so color me skeptical. But in honor of the new X-MEN movie, I figured I'd ask folks what, if any, truly weird sh*t they can do.
Here's mine:

I can hear and speak to most animals. They all just seem to run up to me all happy like.  I can also hear most, if not all of the spirits talking :) My friends call me " god radio " since everything they ask me anything about the spirits im spot on :)

What a nice thread ! So amazing to see what everyone can do. So many wonderful talented people
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:26:45 pm by HeartShadow »

Lythrum Salicaria

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »
Quote from: Altair;148718
So...what's your "mutant" power?

Great thread. :)

I have a few different weird things I can do. Animals and children are drawn to me like magnets - stray cats wander into my house all the time, and getting them to leave is nearly impossible. I seem to be able to communicate with them pretty effectively as well, although this may tie in to another one of my abilities mentioned below.

I also have frequent prophetic dreams, although most of them seem pretty insignificant. Usually it's something as simple as me dreaming about having a discussion on a forum or typing an e-mail, and then a few days, weeks or even months later that discussion or e-mail will actually happen. The only two exceptions to this are Hurricane Katrina and a recent shooting in Ottawa. I dreamed about both of those events approximately one month before they happened.

By far the most intense power that I have is my sense of empathy. I can look at a stranger and instantly know what they're feeling, whether they're a predator or not, and I can often accurately guess what sorts of trauma they have experienced in their lifetime. This ability is a double-edged sword - when I was growing up I had no idea what it was, and as a result I had no idea how to shield myself. If there are any other empaths here, you'll know what that was like. Being in a crowded room can be torture - comparable to being tied up in a small room with 50 televisions blaring at full volume.

Lastly, I've got a green thumb - I can grow just about anything. :D:

Tags: