collapse

Author Topic: Paranormal State  (Read 4650 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Paranormal State
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:42:17 am »
Anybody ever watch the show? Sometimes they have episodes where they investigate cases of poltergeists and demons in people's houses (and bodies). This particular episode has a family being tormented by six demons and it's so very dramatic. They're usually a bit dramatic and cheesy, but this is like dialogue is too stiff here, can't tell if it's worth an eye roll or not. The exorcism of one family member and the house failed. They're at a serious disadvantage here though, because they actually believed the six demons gave their real names Azazel, Beelzebub, and Lilith among them. Like really? Those are the most well known demons in Christianity, they have bigger fish to fry than a small suburban family who play with ouija boards. They ought to know that names have power and demons are liars, so why wouldn't they pick some scary Big Boss names?

What do you think of the show and shows like it? Most of the time the show is kinda amusing and then you get episodes like the aforementioned and you just think "is this for real?"
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal State
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:46:59 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;67939
Anybody ever watch the show? Sometimes they have episodes where they investigate cases of poltergeists and demons in people's houses (and bodies). This particular episode has a family being tormented by six demons and it's so very dramatic. They're usually a bit dramatic and cheesy, but this is like dialogue is too stiff here, can't tell if it's worth an eye roll or not. The exorcism of one family member and the house failed. They're at a serious disadvantage here though, because they actually believed the six demons gave their real names Azazel, Beelzebub, and Lilith among them. Like really? Those are the most well known demons in Christianity, they have bigger fish to fry than a small suburban family who play with ouija boards. They ought to know that names have power and demons are liars, so why wouldn't they pick some scary Big Boss names?

What do you think of the show and shows like it? Most of the time the show is kinda amusing and then you get episodes like the aforementioned and you just think "is this for real?"

I heard that that show's host is a student of Lorraine Warren.  I think that should explain everything.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Paranormal State
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:21 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;67940
I heard that that show's host is a student of Lorraine Warren.  I think that should explain everything.

Pretty sure he started at Penn State. Never heard of Lorraine Warren, so I'm afraid I'm missing how that explains everything lol

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54:55 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;67941
Pretty sure he started at Penn State. Never heard of Lorraine Warren, so I'm afraid I'm missing how that explains everything lol

Sorry, I probably should have been more clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Warren

Basically, Lorraine Warren and her husband Ed were pretty big names in paranormal investigation a few decades ago.  They were really big in demonology and were among the people that perpetuated the Amityville hoax.

My Spiritual Blog

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:27 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;67942
Sorry, I probably should have been more clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Warren

Basically, Lorraine Warren and her husband Ed were pretty big names in paranormal investigation a few decades ago.  They were really big in demonology and were among the people that perpetuated the Amityville hoax.

Tisk Tisk  Mel... how  ever  could  you forget this  link :p http://www.warrens.net/

As far as I'm concerned   the Warrens  are  nothing but a  really good  scam! Paranormal State isn't  much better, I stopped watching it along  time ago  because it was so fake it wasn't  even funny anymore.
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Paranormal State
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:39 am »
Quote from: Jubes;67944
Tisk Tisk  Mel... how  ever  could  you forget this  link :p http://www.warrens.net/

As far as I'm concerned   the Warrens  are  nothing but a  really good  scam! Paranormal State isn't  much better, I stopped watching it along  time ago  because it was so fake it wasn't  even funny anymore.

Well, at least they show cases where they don't find much. But honestly if you want a scientific investigative show that shows cases where they literally get nothing (as opposed to the sort of half evidence vague subjective crap) or have crazy people try and trick them, Ghost Hunters is pretty good. You know the pair of guys who worked for Roto Rooters.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:11 am »
Quote from: Jubes;67944

They even have the music from The Amityville Horror playing on the site.  I see they're still proud of that even though one of the people involved admitted the entire thing was a hoax.

My Spiritual Blog

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:31 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;67947
Well, at least they show cases where they don't find much. But honestly if you want a scientific investigative show that shows cases where they literally get nothing (as opposed to the sort of half evidence vague subjective crap) or have crazy people try and trick them, Ghost Hunters is pretty good. You know the pair of guys who worked for Roto Rooters.

I actually respect the methods TAPS uses.  However, I think it's a little too convenient that they get some evidence in practically every place they investigate.  EVPs and the like are all pretty rare that you can investigate hundreds of places without getting one.  But I think that has more to do with being a reality tv show meant to entertain.  You got to keep viewers (and more importantly, sponsors) interested and regrettably being true to reality isn't the way to do that.

For the record, I don't watch tv at all let alone paranormal reality shows:p

My Spiritual Blog

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Paranormal State
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:24:55 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;67951
I actually respect the methods TAPS uses.  However, I think it's a little too convenient that they get some evidence in practically every place they investigate.  EVPs and the like are all pretty rare that you can investigate hundreds of places without getting one.  But I think that has more to do with being a reality tv show meant to entertain.  You got to keep viewers (and more importantly, sponsors) interested and regrettably being true to reality isn't the way to do that.

For the record, I don't watch tv at all let alone paranormal reality shows:p

Well, it's possible that they simply only air the shows with evidence, but they actually do show episodes where they don't get much of anything. Certainly a lot more than paranormal state lol

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:44:00 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;67961
Well, it's possible that they simply only air the shows with evidence, but they actually do show episodes where they don't get much of anything. Certainly a lot more than paranormal state lol

I think Lorraine Warren even appeared in several episodes of Paranormal State.  

Can I add Ghost Adventures as well?  

I mean really...that show is overly dramatic, they find a cartload of "evidence" each episode, and everything they come into contact with is a demon.  Sometimes it's fun to watch and just go "Hahaha...what?"

I also like that TAPS goes into each location trying to disprove the haunting and come up with other explanations as to what's going on.  And, if the family is still frightened, they offer help.  I think they used to do free investigations, not sure if they do anymore though.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:48:56 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;67961

I doubt it.  It just wouldn't make sense to have a camera crew following someone around to not use any of the footage in an episode.  They are part of the entertainment industry, and there is no such thing as integrity when you are a part of it.

My Spiritual Blog

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;67965
They are part of the entertainment industry, and there is no such thing as integrity when you are a part of it.

This.
I don't know what the hype with those shows is anyway.
When some channel aired them, I checked out like two, three episodes?

Really?
Really?

A bunch of people running through the dark, scaring themselves, stumbling over old steps=felt being pushed, a little thingy falling over is an evidence (mind: on surveillance camera, that took pictures like every ten minutes), some 'ghost-activity' in a house where people lived and walked around and were caught on camera - oooh how spooky... what a lame franchise this is.

The only cool one was 'Ghostfacers'. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 06:06:05 pm »
Quote from: Tana;68030

The only cool one was 'Ghostfacers'. ;)

But that's only because the Winchesters make everything cool;)

My Spiritual Blog

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 06:11:35 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;68032
But that's only because the Winchesters make everything cool;)

Can't argue that. :D:
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:19 pm »
Quote from: iulla;67964

Can I add Ghost Adventures as well?  

I think they just said Zack! lol I swear is it just me or does every ghost in the whole world know who he is. lol That show is hard to watch. I love Ghost Hunters, but Paranormal State is a bit blah, and seem to think everyone is possessed.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Tags: