collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 29 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:56:54 am]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 06:16:03 am]


Re: Recently Blogged by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 06:21:02 pm]


Re: What are you playing right now? by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 12:24:36 pm]


Re: Introduction by sevensons
[Yesterday at 09:50:42 am]

Author Topic: Not sensitive?  (Read 1318 times)

Haugatysja

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 43
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Not sensitive?
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:39:41 am »
This thread was inspired by the "Anyone else feel too thick-headed to notice God/dess contact?" thread.

I work in a metaphysical bookshop and I'm around "spiritual" people all the time, mediums, sensitives and what ever you want to call them. There's talk about seeing auras, sensing spirits, getting signs etc. I don't feel anything like that at all. I don't see auras, I don't feel anything when I pick up a stone or crystal I don't sense spirits or anything. I'm a bit sensitive to energies in a room when there's a bunch of people and there's a specific "feeling" in the room. I often react to smells and can get memory flashes to when I was a kid for example, from a specific smell. During ritual (mostly solitary), I know when something is going well and it works and when it doesn't, but I don't know why.

It seems to me that everyone I meet is a sensitive, and I feel left out. I practice witchcraft and read the tarot for myself mostly, but It's all just so rational or logical to me in some way, it just works, or so I believe. There is supposedly a bunch of spirits hanging out in the shop where i work. And besides the fact that I imagine hearing noises when I'm there alone in the evening, I don't feel or see anything.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm closed of in some way, or if I'm just extremely insensitive to the supernatural. Does anyone else feel like this?

Kylara

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 1163
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 173
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:55 am »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53612
This thread was inspired by the "Anyone else feel too thick-headed to notice God/dess contact?" thread.

I work in a metaphysical bookshop and I'm around "spiritual" people all the time, mediums, sensitives and what ever you want to call them. There's talk about seeing auras, sensing spirits, getting signs etc. I don't feel anything like that at all. I don't see auras, I don't feel anything when I pick up a stone or crystal I don't sense spirits or anything. I'm a bit sensitive to energies in a room when there's a bunch of people and there's a specific "feeling" in the room. I often react to smells and can get memory flashes to when I was a kid for example, from a specific smell. During ritual (mostly solitary), I know when something is going well and it works and when it doesn't, but I don't know why.

It seems to me that everyone I meet is a sensitive, and I feel left out. I practice witchcraft and read the tarot for myself mostly, but It's all just so rational or logical to me in some way, it just works, or so I believe. There is supposedly a bunch of spirits hanging out in the shop where i work. And besides the fact that I imagine hearing noises when I'm there alone in the evening, I don't feel or see anything.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm closed of in some way, or if I'm just extremely insensitive to the supernatural. Does anyone else feel like this?

 
Just a thought, but perhaps you don't sense things from a sight/touch perspective?  Looking at what you posted, you specifically mentioned that you don't see or feel things, but sometimes you know things or have scent triggered information.  Do you smell things that other people can't smell?

I don't typically see things in a visual sense.  Sometimes I feel things, though I am more likely to smell or hear something.  I also just sometimes 'know' something with no sense attached to it.  It bothered me for a long time because I kept trying to 'see' things and I really am junk at seeing.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

tihana

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 32
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://metapot.com/cart.php?mode=friend_wl&wlid=c5f6e25cf20eac9d7bc7a83d4af56bee
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53612
.

 
I have a strong sensitivity to scent myself. Like a wooshing movie-type flashback. Kinda like how some people love the smell of apple pies and cinnamon during the Fall? Well I REALLY like it, lol. Such good fuzzy memories.

Everybody seems to have their own strengths dealing with the senses. I can smell like a bloodhound, some have pinpoint hearing, or can see small details. I learned you have to play to your strengths. You can miss out on a lot trying to force yourself to see or hear something you probably will never be able to. You probably get that inexplicable whiff of a fragrance just for it to disappear on your next inhale? While it's not as dramatic as seeing something or grasping an items and being flooded with visuals and emotions, but it's something you can do.

Asch

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 883
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
Quote from: tihana;53653


 
The sense of smell is strongly linked to memory in most people. In many ways smell has become largely vestigial in modern peoples it's largely used for taste and determining if food is spoiled.

Considering you work in a fairly public venue it is also possible, even likely, that many of the people you encounter are bragging or exaggerating, deliberately or not, about their perceived abilities in order to save face, gain credibility, or drum up customers - particularly if they're offering services at the same venue. So take their claims with a grain of salt.

As far as your abilities or perceived lack thereof I agree with the suggestion to go with your strengths. In addition do research and practice what you learn you may be able to develop the skill/s you currently feel you lack.

Agonistes

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 92
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53612
I'm trying to figure out if I'm closed of in some way, or if I'm just extremely insensitive to the supernatural. Does anyone else feel like this?



That's how I feel, all the time. Most people talk about the aura and the spirit of objects. When I'm in the middle of a field surrounded by trees I definitely feel something, but it can be faint.
 
Although I lack that aspect, I know I was given the ability to read and absorb information at length. I read and read and read and wish to become a wealth of information, which I love to do, and I retain information with ease. So, this is my niche, and I accept that because I have this great capacity and I'm understanding in my lack in other areas.

Stin iyia sou

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3068
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 440
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »
Quote from: Asch;53656
Considering you work in a fairly public venue it is also possible, even likely, that many of the people you encounter are bragging or exaggerating, deliberately or not, about their perceived abilities in order to save face, gain credibility, or drum up customers - particularly if they're offering services at the same venue. So take their claims with a grain of salt.


This.

I think a lot of people need to feel uber-special, not realizing that simply being themselves, being human--without paranormal bells and whistles--is the most profoundly special state of being there is. The few folks I've encountered who do indeed seem to have unusual insight really don't make a thing out of it.

So, to the original poster: I'm like you. I don't see auras, I don't have conversations with spirits, etc. My attempts at divination are muddled at best, and the things I'd count as actual paranormal insights on my part are exceedingly rare (twice? three times? in my 49 years) and completely beyond my control. That doesn't stop me from having a deep spiritual connection to the wild world around me.

That's fine by me.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Dee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Not sensitive?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »
Quote from: Altair;53678
This.

I think a lot of people need to feel uber-special, not realizing that simply being themselves, being human--without paranormal bells and whistles--is the most profoundly special state of being there is. The few folks I've encountered who do indeed seem to have unusual insight really don't make a thing out of it.

So, to the original poster: I'm like you. I don't see auras, I don't have conversations with spirits, etc. My attempts at divination are muddled at best, and the things I'd count as actual paranormal insights on my part are exceedingly rare (twice? three times? in my 49 years) and completely beyond my control. That doesn't stop me from having a deep spiritual connection to the wild world around me.

That's fine by me.

I would agree with this, I'm the same. I don't see anything special or anything but I do feel that connection.

Also I think that sometimes our 'logical' sides overpower our intuition - I know that happens to me. I struggle to listen to my instincts only, which I see as my sorta 'Witchy' side. ;)

Sharysa

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 471
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53612

I'm trying to figure out if I'm closed of in some way, or if I'm just extremely insensitive to the supernatural. Does anyone else feel like this?

The "Your co-workers might be playing up their sensitivity because they need customers" advice has been stated a few times. As it is, you sound like you've got a perfectly good sense of smell and you just don't think it's "important." It's understandable since humans are visual creatures, but if you have a talent, try to figure out how to use it more efficiently.

Another note: Sensing energy/auras is nowhere near as exclusive as people say it is. After getting back in touch with my spirituality, I realized that seeing/feeling auras is a very specific form of what actors train to do: Actors need to keep the audience's attention, so they need to tune in to the audience's collective energy. When I talk to the gods, I can pick up on their energy and trust that they're listening because essentially, they're my audience.

As for my specific abilities, I don't see things--I hear them. I used to hear the Fair Folk's music drifting around, and when I walk past something that wants my attention, I hear a voice calling out to me. If you look at it from the "hearing voices might be a sign of mental illness" standpoint, then something might be wrong with me. However, a very important qualification for a mental illness is that the voices need to be intrusive, or telling you things that you know are wrong. And since the voices in my head are neither of those, then they're harmless at worst and genuine spirits at best.

The same goes for my Tarot cards, where they "talk" to me.

Considering I'm a bard, my sense of hearing would naturally be well-developed in the literal AND spiritual sense. That doesn't mean I CAN'T see auras/spirits--it's just going to take more training.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:48:49 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Haugatysja

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 43
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 03:55:59 am »
Quote from: Kylara;53626
Just a thought, but perhaps you don't sense things from a sight/touch perspective?  Looking at what you posted, you specifically mentioned that you don't see or feel things, but sometimes you know things or have scent triggered information.  Do you smell things that other people can't smell?

I don't typically see things in a visual sense.  Sometimes I feel things, though I am more likely to smell or hear something.  I also just sometimes 'know' something with no sense attached to it.  It bothered me for a long time because I kept trying to 'see' things and I really am junk at seeing.


That might be true, I react to smells and can sometimes sense things but I never see things. I don't hear things all that often, I'm not sure I have ever heard anything in a way that is out of the ordinary. But yes, it might have something to do with how we get "information" from the supernatural world.

Haugatysja

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 43
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:59:13 am »
Quote from: tihana;53653
I have a strong sensitivity to scent myself. Like a wooshing movie-type flashback. Kinda like how some people love the smell of apple pies and cinnamon during the Fall? Well I REALLY like it, lol. Such good fuzzy memories.

 
Cool, I have been able to smell "winter" since I was a little girl. I think it was a specific smell where I lived as a kid, for some reason that smell comes back and I can be sure that winter is coming :).

Haugatysja

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 43
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:04:54 am »
Quote from: Agonistes;53666

Although I lack that aspect, I know I was given the ability to read and absorb information at length. I read and read and read and wish to become a wealth of information, which I love to do, and I retain information with ease. So, this is my niche, and I accept that because I have this great capacity and I'm understanding in my lack in other areas.

 Stin iyia sou

 
I'm like that too. Soon I won't have any space left in my apartment, because of all the books. On the other hand I don't always know what to do with all the information, I just think that sometimes it will come in handy.

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Not sensitive?
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:32 am »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53819
Cool, I have been able to smell "winter" since I was a little girl. I think it was a specific smell where I lived as a kid, for some reason that smell comes back and I can be sure that winter is coming :).

 
I'm *smell-sensitive* too - sometimes I can *smell* an aura (for lack of a better way of putting it) or I get a sudden smell out of nowhere that doesn't actually exist.  I'm also VERY sensitive to actual smells, so sometimes that makes life tricky - I can smell the damn pilot light and think there's a gas leak!  (HATE THAT)

But we have the abilities we have - if it's smell, then use that!  If it's touch, taste, sight ... there's a lot of talk about sight being the *normal* one, but we've got other senses!  use 'em!

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
3117 Views
Last post July 21, 2011, 02:56:04 pm
by Aster Breo
3 Replies
1402 Views
Last post July 19, 2011, 03:24:11 pm
by cwummel
0 Replies
1130 Views
Last post July 21, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
by rainbowgirl
4 Replies
1241 Views
Last post March 01, 2013, 04:23:57 am
by SkySamuelle
8 Replies
845 Views
Last post May 27, 2015, 09:29:27 pm
by DancesWithHorses

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal