Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: my deceased cousin  (Read 1992 times)

LostSoul

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
my deceased cousin
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:30:35 pm »
One night last year (cant remember the date), my best friend discovered that my cousin who was KIA in Afghanistan in 2007 is residing in my home with me. My husband and I were watching television and my friend was in a chair off in her own little world when she suddenly looked at the chair next to her and said, "I think I'll talk to you. You seem interesting."

She then told me and my husband "there's a solider in that chair." and she pointed to the "empty" chair. My inquisitive husband asked her what he looked like. My friend then started to describe what she saw. As she ticked off his features, brown hair, brown eyes, muscular, etc. I started to realize she was describing my cousin! I leaned over to my husband and whispered, "Its Michael" then I started to cry and ran to the bathroom. My husband told my friend "she knows who it is" I yelled from the bathroom, "its my cousin!" I came back into the room and grabbed a picture of Micheal and asked my friend, "is this who you are seeing?" she said, "take away the facial hair and yes."

A few days later, my friend was talking to Michael again, and she told me that he thought he was here to help my husband and I with our marital issues and save our marriage, but later that month, she told me that that Micheal discovered that saving my marriage was not his purpose, but he didnt know what exactly his purpose was. My friend would often look outside and tell me she saw see Micheal just wandering around, or sitting under a big pecan tree in my front yard.

My friend and I have since parted ways, but I believe Micheal is still here.
How do Spirits find their purpose? I believe Spirits are stuck here when they have unfinished business. Is there a way I can help Micheal find out what his unfinished business is without being able to see him? Is there any way I can see him? I was jealous of her being able to see him. I miss him so very much.

Is there some type of ritual I can do to dedicate that pecan tree to Micheal since he likes it so much? Is there a way I can feel closer to him? I already often dream about him a few days to a few weeks before the anniversary of his death. Sometimes the dreams are of him dying, or times they are just of him in general and times we spent together, etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:32:32 pm by LostSoul »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: my deceased cousin
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:26:52 pm »
Quote from: LostSoul;166951

My friend and I have since parted ways, but I believe Micheal is still here.
How do Spirits find their purpose? I believe Spirits are stuck here when they have unfinished business. Is there a way I can help Micheal find out what his unfinished business is without being able to see him? Is there any way I can see him? I was jealous of her being able to see him. I miss him so very much.

Is there some type of ritual I can do to dedicate that pecan tree to Micheal since he likes it so much? Is there a way I can feel closer to him? I already often dream about him a few days to a few weeks before the anniversary of his death. Sometimes the dreams are of him dying, or times they are just of him in general and times we spent together, etc.

There are lots of different beliefs about what happens when someone dies (and generally, so you know, specific witchcraft traditions or practices mostly don't have specific beliefs about it, or only pretty general ones: different people in those traditions may think quite different things.)

About what your friend saw, first, I tend to be very conservative about things like 'My friend saw X, it must be true'. Communication from the non-physical world is just about as confusion-prone as communication in the physical world - just think about how many times someone's told you something that turned out to be different from what you thought they said!

Even if they're doing their best to be truthful and complete, we make all sorts of choices, some of them not at all conscious, about how we interpret information we hear or see or get from any source.

Communication in the non-physical world isn't better than that, so it's good to take anything specific with a grain of salt, and attempt to confirm it through other methods (like divination, meditation, paying attention to your own intuition, etc.) before doing anything specific with it, or at least anything specific that might commit you to something or cause changes for you more than very temporarily.

And beyond that, I tend to think that things like being able to talk to someone who's died (or see them) are partly a gift people are born with (like being good at music, or a sport), partly something you can train (again, like music and sports) and partly figuring out which ways do work for you.

(I am lousy at visual forms of working with energy - I don't see energy, at all and it took me about 5 years of consistent regular work to learn how to do visually-focused meditations. I do a lot more by sound and emotional feel, but those things don't usually produce clear communication. I could be annoyed with this, or I could get on with doing what I can, and I try to do that rather than pine for skills I don't have.)

So, what can you do?

There is a long tradition of honouring ancestors (and beloved dead). The most common time for this is Samhain (usually around October 31st in the Northern hemisphere, and May 1stish in the southern), and lots of books and other resources will have various ritual things people find helpful for this.

But lots of groups and traditions also honour the ancestors at other times. (My tradition includes them in some form as part of the ritual invocation at every ritual, just like we invite specific deities.) Some people keep an ancestor altar with pictures or things that remind them of a person.

Making offerings in a specific place can be good, but it's useful to think about what might happen if you had to leave that specific place for some reason. (Like moving to a new house) before you invest a lot of time and energy in offerings in a specific physical location. (Maybe you bring something made from that tree with you, or you set up a stone you pour offerings on and you know you could bring the stone if you moved, or whatever.)

For offerings, some people just sit and talk, some people pour a libation (a bit of liquid - alcohol is a common one historically, but anything the person liked to drink will do well, or fresh water if you really don't know), some people leave a small physical token - gather a leaf or a stone or flower or whatever while walking and bring it back.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

LostSoul

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: my deceased cousin
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:12:56 am »
Quote from: Jenett;166973

So, what can you do?

There is a long tradition of honouring ancestors (and beloved dead). The most common time for this is Samhain (usually around October 31st in the Northern hemisphere, and May 1stish in the southern), and lots of books and other resources will have various ritual things people find helpful for this.

But lots of groups and traditions also honour the ancestors at other times. (My tradition includes them in some form as part of the ritual invocation at every ritual, just like we invite specific deities.) Some people keep an ancestor altar with pictures or things that remind them of a person.

Making offerings in a specific place can be good, but it's useful to think about what might happen if you had to leave that specific place for some reason. (Like moving to a new house) before you invest a lot of time and energy in offerings in a specific physical location. (Maybe you bring something made from that tree with you, or you set up a stone you pour offerings on and you know you could bring the stone if you moved, or whatever.)

For offerings, some people just sit and talk, some people pour a libation (a bit of liquid - alcohol is a common one historically, but anything the person liked to drink will do well, or fresh water if you really don't know), some people leave a small physical token - gather a leaf or a stone or flower or whatever while walking and bring it back.

Thank you

Tags: