collapse

Author Topic: Horrible Lucid Dreaming!  (Read 2274 times)

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Horrible Lucid Dreaming!
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:45 am »
I'm posting this here cause I don't see anywhere better to post it. Every now and then, I wake up and see the wall near my bed falling inwards. In order to stop my wife and myself from getting crushed, I run to the wall and try to keep it upright, while at the same time screaming at the top of my lungs to move. These episodes last anywhere between 5 - 30 seconds.

Naturally, it scares the hell out of my wife as she wakes to me screaming with me thrown up against the wall.

This happens about once every three months, is completely random, and is always the same dream. I don't fear being crushed or anything, and have never given walls collapsing a second thought while awake.

Anybody have interpretations as to what this may mean, if it means anything, or as to why this may happen?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible Lucid Dreaming!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:34 am »
Quote from: mellowitch;50571

Have you talked with your doctor about this?
IIRC there are several kinds of sleeping disorders and things that can cause such dreams.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:40 am »

I have Nightmare Disorder, which is a parasomnia and is noted in both the DSM IV and the (upcoming) DSM V.  Your dream sounds almost identical to a nightmare that rotates through for me every couple of months; I'd suggest that it is likely not paranormal in nature based on my own experience.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;50575
I have Nightmare Disorder, which is a parasomnia and is noted in both the DSM IV and the (upcoming) DSM V.  Your dream sounds almost identical to a nightmare that rotates through for me every couple of months; I'd suggest that it is likely not paranormal in nature based on my own experience.

Wow, that link is great and led to all sorts of awesome research. I'm really thinking about talking to my neurologist about this issue now that I know that I'm not alone in this type of thing. I've heard of night terrors and things like that, but not really of people getting up and acting on them until now.

However, on a paranormal note, I've experienced the whole sleep paralysis thing before and have experienced on many occasions the whole 'sensing' and sometimes seeing or hearing people and... things. I'm very much aware that these are probably the byproduct of my brain falling asleep but was wondering a couple of nights ago: what if we are more acceptable to seeing things that we can't see while fully conscious on our way to sleep, kind of like people who claim to astral project can meet entities? Has anybody ever tried to make contact with these apparitions, imagined or not?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:42:13 pm by mellowitch »

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
Quote from: mellowitch;50616

There is a difference between sleep paralysis and the other stuff IME.
Tho' it might feel similar in a lot of ways.

I think there is a inbetween place where we are really more receptive and I had an encounter or two, of which I know it was not hallucinating.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:57 pm »
I'm posting this here cause I don't see anywhere better to post it. Every now and then, I wake up and see the wall near my bed falling inwards. In order to stop my wife and myself from getting crushed, I run to the wall and try to keep it upright, while at the same time screaming at the top of my lungs to move. These episodes last anywhere between 5 - 30 seconds.

Naturally, it scares the hell out of my wife as she wakes to me screaming with me thrown up against the wall.

This happens about once every three months, is completely random, and is always the same dream. I don't fear being crushed or anything, and have never given walls collapsing a second thought while awake.

Anybody have interpretations as to what this may mean, if it means anything, or as to why this may happen?

That sounds terrible! I've often talked and thrashed in my sleep due to various dreams, nightmares or otherwise, but nothing like what you're describing. It does sounds neurological in natural, tho. I hope you figure out what's going on and find relief from it.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:34 pm »
I'm in agreement with talking to the doctor about it because of the physicality involved. Not that it's super grave, but you could wake up to an abrupt ouch one day.

My ex husband used to fight a dream bear in his sleep a couple of times a year and I got kicked once. For that and for his apnea he participated in a sleep study. The only problems with those are that they can only observe what happens during the sleep study, so the apnea was diagnosed but the bear eluded the study. Crafty bear.

As my father ages he reacts more physically in his dreaming too, and when in dreams he moves, he's young, but his older body doesn't respond the same way and he's gotten bumps and a small gash in his head from falling while trying to get up in dreams. He aslo has sleep apnea and has had a sleep study too.

With both of them the advice has been kind of practical instead of deeper/longer studies since the episodes are/were not frequent enough to cause other disruptions in daily life. My mother has moved the nightstand away from my father's side of the bed and when I used to be awakened to a bear fight, I would get out of bed and make noise and turn on the lights (wasn't going to get in the middle).

For what it's worth, both of them were kind of anxious about sleeping in a strange place, but both of them reported to have very good rests while doing it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:13:46 pm by SunflowerP »

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »
Quote from: mellowitch;50616
However, on a paranormal note, I've experienced the whole sleep paralysis thing before and have experienced on many occasions the whole 'sensing' and sometimes seeing or hearing people and... things. I'm very much aware that these are probably the byproduct of my brain falling asleep but was wondering a couple of nights ago: what if we are more acceptable to seeing things that we can't see while fully conscious on our way to sleep, kind of like people who claim to astral project can meet entities? Has anybody ever tried to make contact with these apparitions, imagined or not?

I have tried with little luck. User error likely IMO. There are too many disparate elements of other experiences that I'm having to figure out and eliminate or employ to make sense of what I've been experiencing. I have had little luck interacting actively, but more luck passively observing. Maybe to actively interact would use a similar part of the brain that must take turns thereby making interaction less possible? I need science!

But it is not only dream states in which minds may be more receptive to subconscious items or possibly the paranormal, spiritual or divine. (Which if the collective is to be considered could feel like they are coming from the outside, but be from a larger whole that feels distanced maybe due to static from the normal sensate world.) Trance and deep meditative states (inclusive of self hypnosis) as well as states caused by some drugs (for example the Chantix dreams side effect)  or entheogens employed for the purpose of being more receptive also seem to allow for more sights and sounds and even interactions to occur as I've seen some state. Other drugs seem to dull reception in people.

I have been playing with the idea that things like entheogens that are present in small amounts in the nature around us in combination with some of the prescriptions or even OTC drugs people take, may make for more receptive state for a period of time. So people might inadvertently put themselves in a receptive state and have unexplainable experiences. (Maybe my frequent interaction with plant life has tripped some noggin wires.) Again, I need science!

However, I'm very cautious and hope others would be if they should seek out these experiences especially by trying to induce them with drugs and entheogens for obvious reasons. It's becoming much more popular to experiment without any kind of training or information. And it seems wise no matter how a receptive state is achieved, that one would first seek out methods of dealing with what might be received.

That being said, I think there are people who are simply more receptive naturally and as a result are more reactive not knowing what is happening and being completely untrained as to how to handle it since it was thrust upon them not sought out. For example, sleep paralysis for me was manageable once I found out what it was and how common it was. I was then able to use it because my fears abated, but before, holy crapoly, I was a bundle of nerves and panic. I keep telling myself that other things I have yet to figure out will turn out this way as well.

Would you please forgive me if I have written things you already know or written too much? I'm tired now and fear I may have rambled. This topic is one that gets me going obviously. Too many things have happened I am trying to make sense of.

GaiaDianne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »

GAIA:

With all due respect, that doesn't really sound like a Lucid Dream.

Lucid Dreams occur when you *know* that you are dreaming; they are the first step to learning how to do various kinds of DreamWork -- including completing, directing, changing dreams, and Dream Incubation.

Your experience sounds more like Night Terrors -
For more info on them, check out the links on the following page:
https://www.google.com/search?q=night+terrors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox

Blessed Be ~ Gaia

GaiaDianne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »
Quote from: Tana;50624

I think there is a inbetween place where we are really more receptive and I had an encounter or two, of which I know it was not hallucinating.

GAIA:

Yes, those are called "Hypnogogic" (from wakefulness to sleep) and "Hypnopompic" (from sleep to wakefulness) states, during which one can experience many different kinds of (often frightening) things.  

Google the terms for more info on them.

Blessings, Gaia

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »
Quote from: GaiaDianne;50776
GAIA:

Lucid Dreams occur when you *know* that you are dreaming;

Blessed Be ~ Gaia

Good catch! I didn't think of that.  Slapping my head.

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:00 am »
Quote from: GaiaDianne;50776
GAIA:

Lucid Dreams occur when you *know* that you are dreaming; they are the first step to learning how to do various kinds of DreamWork -- including completing, directing, changing dreams, and Dream Incubation.

Your experience sounds more like Night Terrors -
For more info on them, check out the links on the following page:
https://www.google.com/search?q=night+terrors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox

Blessed Be ~ Gaia

Yep, you're 100% right. I realized about 20 minutes after posting, after it was to late to edit it!

Tags: