Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dream Travel & Reoccurrences  (Read 8227 times)

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
Re: Dream Travel & Reoccurrences
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 03:49:38 am »

Yeah, i've had that deja vu feeling several times. The first time I ever had a clairvoyant dream, my family was about to leave for a vacation in Hawaii. I dreamed of a Japanese bookstore with a large wall of manga, and after a week in Hawaii was disappointed that I hadn't seen one. Then our plane had engine trouble, and we had to spend an extra day in Honolulu... there was a mall next to our hotel, and a Japanese bookstore exactly like the one in my dream.

That's an interesting suggestion I hadn't considered, looking into clairvoyancy. I"ll check it out, thanks :D

That seems to be a really common experience, but so cool when it happens!  I remember once dreaming about remodeling my house and finding a secret room.   That didn't happen literally, but when I got up the next day I had a sudden impulse to visit a restaurant I had never been to before---and the restaurant dining area *was* the room from my dream.  I'm a little annoyed that I don't remember what the fortune cookie I got that day said, but I recall it felt very relevant and was good advice for me at the time.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:41 am »
From what I understand dream work can be one method of "hedge riding" and I'd like to figure out the link I seem to be missing between doing it randomly and doing it consciously.
It took me years of practice to manage conscious spirit travel (and I wouldn't say I'm managing it perfectly), but I didn't really train myself much, just tried it again and again (and doing lots of other stuff in between), so there might be a quicker way to learn this ;)

There are also some books frequently recommended to learn this, I remember that we once discussed Paxson's "Trance-Portation" here on TC, I also read various books on witchcraft and neo-shamanism and there were some suggestions here and there that helped me. I found Starhawk's "Twelve Wild Swans" was an excelent starting point for me (it has a lot about work with meditation/journeying/imagination, but is also an excellent beginner's guide for witchcraft).

Catkin

• View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca blended with other elements
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 04:51:09 pm »

There are also some books frequently recommended to learn this, I remember that we once discussed Paxson's "Trance-Portation" here on TC, I also read various books on witchcraft and neo-shamanism and there were some suggestions here and there that helped me. I found Starhawk's "Twelve Wild Swans" was an excelent starting point for me (it has a lot about work with meditation/journeying/imagination, but is also an excellent beginner's guide for witchcraft).

I feel like I have to jump into this old thread because you all are talking about LOCATIONS in your dreams, and this matches my experience. The most memorable and meaningful aspect of my dreams has always been locations. Transit infrastructure like trains and ferries, visiting countries like Mexico and China, College campuses, and so on. You don't read much about location when looking up dream meanings and symbols, yet here we are, a group attuned to locations. It's nice to see that others are like me in this way.

I also want to bring up a seemingly common interpretation of dreams that hasn't been mentioned here. If you read about astral and out of body projection, you will see the assertion that the place we go in dreams is the Astral Plane. Characteristics of the Astral plane are:

1. It is created by your subconscious, but it is ALSO created by OTHERS' subconsciouses. This results in encountering things that hold a lot of emotional weight, but that you don't necessarily consciously think about. Further, you might visit a version of your college that other people have been investing emotional energy in- you might see structures that others have been planning and dreaming.

2. It is influenced by, and mapped to, waking space and time, but is malleable. This has the result that you will see places that are familiar-but-strange, as mentioned above regarding the campus.

3. Travel is at the speed of thought.

4. You can encounter other traveling spirits/entities, both human and nonhuman.

These all come from my reading, unfortunately I am still not a successful lucid dreamer or astral/OBE projector.

Curious if these points are a new and helpful perspective for anyone!?

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 05:16:54 pm »
1. It is created by your subconscious, but it is ALSO created by OTHERS' subconsciouses. This results in encountering things that hold a lot of emotional weight, but that you don't necessarily consciously think about. Further, you might visit a version of your college that other people have been investing emotional energy in- you might see structures that others have been planning and dreaming.

2. It is influenced by, and mapped to, waking space and time, but is malleable. This has the result that you will see places that are familiar-but-strange, as mentioned above regarding the campus.

Yes this actually does explain a few things - I very often dream of a place and I know without a doubt that it's the local shop, or it's my old school or whatever, even though it bears almost no resemblance whatever to the actual architecture, decor etc etc of the actual place in this reality.  That is very common for me.  Interesting.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Green Sky

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 04:02:25 pm »

Anyone else do this? How can I tap into this skill and actually do something useful with it?

It happens to me too. Ever since I was a child, I've had these weird dreams where only the location, buildings, and surroundings come true. I'll have a dream about a building, a sign, by some landmark, and years later I'll physically be there. It's like deja vu, but a very slow kind of deja vu :)

It can be developed, but it would take practice. In contemporary lingo, it's sometimes called "Dreamcraft," but in essence, it's been around since ancient times, in every animist culture. There is an article about Dreamcraft in a LHP/Pagan zine that talks about this subject and how it was used in ancient times: here.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 04:23:42 pm »
There is an article about Dreamcraft in a LHP/Pagan zine that talks about this subject and how it was used in ancient times: here.

My goodness that's a lengthy zine!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Green Sky

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »
My goodness that's a lengthy zine!

It is! The other issue, 6.1 talks a lot about Buddhism. I see you're a Buddhist like me :)

Metta.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 03:28:38 pm »
I see you're a Buddhist like me :)

Metta.

Actually, I confess I borrowed the concept (respectfully, I hope) for the neatness of how it expresses a thing which I believe the world needs more of*.  I looked into Buddism some years ago, prior to discovering my current path (which I refer to as 'Druidish' because it has a fair bit of Druidry in it, but is also a bit eclectic).

(*That seemed like a lot of words, I'm sure that could've been more succinct!  But hopefully you see where I'm coming from   :) )
(From the Metta Sutta)

Green Sky

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 01:27:45 am »
Actually, I confess I borrowed the concept (respectfully, I hope) for the neatness of how it expresses a thing which I believe the world needs more of*.  I looked into Buddism some years ago, prior to discovering my current path (which I refer to as 'Druidish' because it has a fair bit of Druidry in it, but is also a bit eclectic).

(*That seemed like a lot of words, I'm sure that could've been more succinct!  But hopefully you see where I'm coming from   :) )

I understand :) I agree: the world does need Metta.

I'm a Bard of the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids! I joined a few months ago.

Metta

Tags: