Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dream Travel & Reoccurrences  (Read 8228 times)

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Dream Travel & Reoccurrences
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:05:49 am »
So for most of my adult life, I've had really vivid dreams with reoccurring places. Sometimes it's a location I'm familiar with (my childhood home, my high school), and sometimes it's an entirely different location I've never been (abandoned malls, an aging hotel, a weird alternate universe version of my alma mater, Northwestern University, a Vegas/Paris-esque steampunk city, etc). These happen often enough that I can sort of map out some of the unfamiliar locations while I'm awake.

Different things happen in the dreams, not usually significant or interesting. When it's a real world place I'm always myself, but sometimes I'm aware that I'm an alternate version of myself. Once I even panicked in my dream because I was aware that I was *ME* but in a version of me whose timeline had diverged. I've begun to suspect I'm traveling to alternate dimensions when I sleep, and sometimes the dimensions are very different from ours, sometimes not.

Worth noting, when I attended NU in the late 2000s, there was not much construction happening. I had a dream last night about the alternate NU, and there was a lot of construction going on by the student center. Feeling nostalgic (and trying to remember it's ACTUAL layout, not the weird dream layout), I went google maps surfing, and discovered... quite a lot of construction. That looked a little too much like what I'd seen in my dream.

Anyone else do this? How can I tap into this skill and actually do something useful with it?

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Dream Travel & Reoccurrences
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:34:36 am »
Anyone else do this? How can I tap into this skill and actually do something useful with it?

My experiences have sort-of paralleled this at times, although not as vivid. I'm integrating them into my "timelines" theory, in which [many] dreams are "echoes" of an alternate reality or sequence of events which we could have followed, but didn't...and the dream is the echo of the point at which contact was lost. For example, there was a Holiday Inn in Houston in which our family stayed when we first moved here in 1967. It sat vacant for several years, and I often thought that someone should fix it up and do something with it. One night I had a dream of that hotel, rotting and decayed...and found out shortly thereafter that it was being torn down. (It's now a Walmart parking lot.)

That's not saying that these "alternates" are necessarily nightmare scenarios; actually I think that some of them could be quite pleasant. It's just that business at hand in the here and now is of greater importance and urgency. Perhaps, from some future perspective, it might be possible to revisit and restart that sequence of events and see where it might have led...once matters in this reality are nailed down.

It's a non-sequitur to this line of thought, but I can't help bringing up a dream I had more than ten years back. I've mentioned that, yes, I have had four psychiatric hospitalizations. Three of them were within a year of each other; I got to know that hospital much better than I wanted to. Some five years or so later I had a dream in which I was back in that hospital, looking in to a room from the doorway. It was very vivid, until I noticed the beds. They were ordinary wooden beds, not the electric/motorized hospital beds. When I had been in there in 1999-2000, the beds had all been motorized hospital beds. When you were moved from room to room, the entire bed was moved with you. So I said, "That can't be real," and immediately woke up.

A year or so later, after a medication change, my mother asked me to go back into the hospital. I went. I was assigned the exact same room which I had seen in the dream...wooden beds and all. There had been a change in furnishings and policies. I don't know of what practical use this might be to anyone, including me, but it at least seems that someone is showing me what to expect. At least, IMHO.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:40:47 am »

My dreams are usually very vivid, occasionally of Special Significance (dreams that communicate an important message about my paganism), and on extremely rare occasion prophetic/precognitive. But I've never found anything to suggest they've involved visiting other dimensions.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:23:17 am »

I don't remember my dreams very often (unless affected by medication or magnesium supplements) but I do have a lot of recurring places. I usually refer to them as Grand Unified Whatever, so I have the Grand Unified Student Union, the Grand Unified Hotel, the Grand Unified Pagan Festival, and a couple of others. And in the dreams, these are places I recognise, have been to before.

(I sort of want to go to the hotel! It's got multiple atriums with curves of rooms around the edges, and a long curved pool in the middle of each atrium, and people who will bring you ridiculous drinks. Plus at least two restaurants. It showed up in a dream this week and was running a special that in the dream I wanted to tell one of my friends about so she could stay there when she comes to visit!)

Looking at my dream notes, it's about an even split between Grand Unified Locations, foreign travel, and things like people's private homes or other unique spaces, with the occasional generation space ship for variety.

I don't generally think I'm in some other reality necessarily, but I do think there's something going on with those Grand Unified Locations that isn't just whatever our brains get up to in REM sleep (which is still pretty mysterious.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:06:37 pm »
Looking at my dream notes, it's about an even split between Grand Unified Locations, foreign travel, and things like people's private homes or other unique spaces, with the occasional generation space ship for variety.

Iiiiii should probably get better about dream journaling/notes/etc. I'm good at keeping stuff in my head for several days, and I recognize locations when I show up, but maybe notes will help me pin things down better...

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:37 pm »
Iiiiii should probably get better about dream journaling/notes/etc. I'm good at keeping stuff in my head for several days, and I recognize locations when I show up, but maybe notes will help me pin things down better...

I recommend it! (This is how I know I don't remember dreams often.) If I do remember one, it's the first thing I do after I  sit up.

(I do them in private posts on my Dreamwidth account, tag them as dreams, so I can get them all again easily.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »

I've got a subgenre of dreams that are all set in what I refer to as The City.  It's not any specific real-world city, but it's The City in my dreams, with a variety of traits, and a reasonably clear, if occasionally somewhat baffling, geography.

I am sure it has some significance, but I have yet to sort that much out.  But it's got a feel such that if I have a City dream, even if it's not a part of the City I've seen before, I wake up knowing more or less where it goes on the City map.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:17 pm »
So for most of my adult life, I've had really vivid dreams with reoccurring places. Sometimes it's a location I'm familiar with (my childhood home, my high school), and sometimes it's an entirely different location I've never been (abandoned malls, an aging hotel, a weird alternate universe version of my alma mater, Northwestern University, a Vegas/Paris-esque steampunk city, etc). These happen often enough that I can sort of map out some of the unfamiliar locations while I'm awake.

Different things happen in the dreams, not usually significant or interesting. When it's a real world place I'm always myself, but sometimes I'm aware that I'm an alternate version of myself. Once I even panicked in my dream because I was aware that I was *ME* but in a version of me whose timeline had diverged. I've begun to suspect I'm traveling to alternate dimensions when I sleep, and sometimes the dimensions are very different from ours, sometimes not.

Worth noting, when I attended NU in the late 2000s, there was not much construction happening. I had a dream last night about the alternate NU, and there was a lot of construction going on by the student center. Feeling nostalgic (and trying to remember it's ACTUAL layout, not the weird dream layout), I went google maps surfing, and discovered... quite a lot of construction. That looked a little too much like what I'd seen in my dream.

You might use the vivid and familiar nature of the dreams to launch into lucid dreaming, dreams in which you are aware of dreaming and gain control of the state.  From there you may engage in all sorts of fun exploration or even spiritual pursuits.

It has been some years since I've been lucid in dream states, but it's something I'm working on now.  Every few months or so I have vivid intense dreams, usually of a spiritual nature.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 03:11:49 am »

I sometimes have spiritual relevant dreams in which I talk to deities or animals, although I have the impression that those dreams are getting less, but I'm getting better in doing those things in meditation / conscious spirit travel.

I've had experiences like I was beginning a meditation and was in a wintery landscape and when I crossed the threshold to the otherworld I was suddenly in a summery landscape.

I've also had one very weird experience were I saw sceletons and then the atmosphere of the place somehow shifted and the sceletons became living people with flesh and everything.

Your experiences make me wonder if there's a shift to the otherworld and your mind simply depicts this as an alternate version...?

mona lizard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:21 am »

If you want to hear about different theories about dream worlds, I recommend the movie Waking Life by Richard Linklater. It's pretty short (one hour and a half, and it's animated), easy to watch and just exposes different theories about the significance of the dream world: maybe it's an alternate universe, or maybe the reason you dreamed about the NU construction without knowing about it means there's some kind of nonverbal communication of information happening within humanity... All these theories are explained in a fun way in the film, without favoring one over the other, so if you're interested in dreams it's a good starting point.

I used to have many imaginary reoccurring locations in my dreams too, and I was a naturally lucid dreamer. I also noticed through lucid dreaming that those locations were weirdly linked to each other, like: in any given dream, if i find myself in this recurring imaginary museum, and i look behind the statue in a certain corner, then i will find a path to a recurring imaginary street that i've seen in other dreams. So I had the idea to make a dream map, because I felt like I was given access to a big dream world, like in the video game Yume Nikki (another cool intro to dream theories you can check out if you haven't played it yet). That was when I was a young teen. When I was happy with a little part of my map I decided to test it out in a dream. And while usually my lucid dreams were never scary, this one got freaky really fast. There was a horrible, scary woman blocking the path whenever I wanted to use the map to go from dreamscape to dreamscape. I eventually got caught by the monster, woke up, and didn't have a lucid dreams for years after that. I used to lucid dream ever other night, now it's just something that happens once a year or so. I think I need to be more organised and keep a meticulous dream journal for a few years before I stat experimenting in my dreams again. There are a lot of amazing things to do in the dream world but I think it's better to come prepared!
- 20 year old artist from France, childlike wonder! -

meno silencio

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:03 am »

I'd also love to know how this could be useful. I always thought this was a version of deja vu. I've had it happen to me a few times (that I know of, my memory is terrible), and it was at the most ordinary, uneventful moments. Why? No clue, but it was vividly just like my dream (people included) even though it was somewhere I hadn't visited before in my life.
I have these feelings in everyday life quite often too, but I can never be certain whether it's just my imagination or not, since there's a distinct possibility that I'm just doing something I've done before...

Is it possible you could make this useful by expanding study in clairvoyance? Maybe it's part of humans basic clairvoyant abilities...

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 03:37:42 pm »
You might use the vivid and familiar nature of the dreams to launch into lucid dreaming, dreams in which you are aware of dreaming and gain control of the state.  From there you may engage in all sorts of fun exploration or even spiritual pursuits.

It has been some years since I've been lucid in dream states, but it's something I'm working on now.  Every few months or so I have vivid intense dreams, usually of a spiritual nature.

Funnily enough, this morning I got very close to actually lucid dreaming, but as soon as I went "hey wait I know I'm dreaming" I jerked awake.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
I sometimes have spiritual relevant dreams in which I talk to deities or animals, although I have the impression that those dreams are getting less, but I'm getting better in doing those things in meditation / conscious spirit travel.

I've had experiences like I was beginning a meditation and was in a wintery landscape and when I crossed the threshold to the otherworld I was suddenly in a summery landscape.

I've also had one very weird experience were I saw sceletons and then the atmosphere of the place somehow shifted and the sceletons became living people with flesh and everything.

Your experiences make me wonder if there's a shift to the otherworld and your mind simply depicts this as an alternate version...?

Perhaps? From what I understand dream work can be one method of "hedge riding" and I'd like to figure out the link I seem to be missing between doing it randomly and doing it consciously.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:30 pm »
I'd also love to know how this could be useful. I always thought this was a version of deja vu. I've had it happen to me a few times (that I know of, my memory is terrible), and it was at the most ordinary, uneventful moments. Why? No clue, but it was vividly just like my dream (people included) even though it was somewhere I hadn't visited before in my life.
I have these feelings in everyday life quite often too, but I can never be certain whether it's just my imagination or not, since there's a distinct possibility that I'm just doing something I've done before...

Is it possible you could make this useful by expanding study in clairvoyance? Maybe it's part of humans basic clairvoyant abilities...

Yeah, i've had that deja vu feeling several times. The first time I ever had a clairvoyant dream, my family was about to leave for a vacation in Hawaii. I dreamed of a Japanese bookstore with a large wall of manga, and after a week in Hawaii was disappointed that I hadn't seen one. Then our plane had engine trouble, and we had to spend an extra day in Honolulu... there was a mall next to our hotel, and a Japanese bookstore exactly like the one in my dream.

That's an interesting suggestion I hadn't considered, looking into clairvoyancy. I"ll check it out, thanks :D

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 09:48:18 pm »

I have a series of places that reoccur in about half my dreams, that reflects places I have lived.  The most common place I end up at is a mash-up of my high school, but it's modified to contain a huge, fancy hotel, with a large round atrium, a massive floating library (you float around endlessly high shelves on moving blocks basically).  I can always tell it's my high school though because the rotunda with our giant Foucault pendulum and the lunch room always make an appearance.

I do get glimpses of what I and one of my deities call "might-have-beens."  I wake up out of these able to describe them in fantastic, multi-paragraph detail, and it's hard to give you an approximation of how I know this is what these are... I just know at this point.

The most recent series of these was very interesting.  2017 was not a great health year for me, and in April, we moved to our new house, and I started having a lot of health issues.  I hyper-extended my knee during the move, started having massive vertigo randomly all the time, and some period issues (not skipping from stress, just awful symptoms, much worse than I'm used to). 

And I started having pregnancy dreams.

Now, I don't want children.  I have never wanted children.  I'm not very maternal, but every month, I had one of these dreams, and it progressed like I was actually pregnant.  I had a dream where I took the test and it came up positive at the beginning of May, two weeks after the move, and I saw myself every month in progression.  The fourth month, a natural disaster occurred and it was really stressful, and I had vertigo what felt like all month.  The sixth month, the baby and I had some sort of health scare and I was in the hospital for a bit, and the vertigo was living hell.  And as the pregnancy seemed to progress, the period related issues got so much worse as well.

The doctors figured out the vertigo (finally) in November, but the steroids they put me on amplified the period issues (the worst I've ever had).  And then, last month... I had a beautiful baby boy.  I named him Corin.   And I woke up from that dream feeling like a completely different person, like I haven't felt since... I'll say 2016, because actually buying the house January-March 2017 was stress, man.  And I've felt so improved since, and the period related issues are officially (finally) gone.  After nine long months, gone. 

I think it's me stepping into a newer, stronger phase of myself, my sense of self, and who I am. I also do think it was sort of... I guess I'll call it like a metaphysical pregnancy.  The dreams were what I've (not so creatively) taken to calling "Real-Feel" dreams to my friends, where your body actually feels what's going on in the dream in real time.  I can still feel Corin with me.  He is with me, and I love him fiercely.

I think he's a strong lasting impression of a "might-have-been," and I've been working with him.  I talk to him daily.  He really enjoys painting (an interest I've revived in the last month and am enjoying immensely). 

Anyways, these dreams have become more frequent and memorable by setting the intent for remembering my dreams, and therefore, remembering more of these occurrences.  I was going to REMEMBER MY DREAMS, so help me gods!  Before going to bed, I'd tell myself I was going to remember whatever I dreamed when I woke up in the morning.  If I woke up in the middle of the night, I wrote down what I could remember.  I didn't schedule waking up, just, if I did, I wrote things down. 

I also, after a few months of this, got a strong overture from Morpheus, and after daily meditation with him for a month or two, we suddenly clicked into this understanding one night, and haven't looked back since.  I am averaging 28% of my sleep in REM each night (thanks, FitBit!) which is a lot for someone my age (15-25% is average), and I remember, as long as I'm not sick, probably five nights of dreams a week (not every dream in a night, but two or three a night regularly). 

To tap into this, I would say intent really matters.  You foster the environment to encourage such dreams with belief that you will have them and consistently applying that belief.  As to doing something useful with it, I think that's a lot about paying attention to what reoccurs and building a language that applies to your experience in this life.  My pregnancy example was a very obvious message of rebirth, but I notice that birds always bring me messages.  If I dance with someone, it's always a deity reaching out, so I refocus myself towards them over the next week or two after the dream.  If I'm in downtown in my hometown, I go into high alert, depending on the context of the overall dream, because Something is about to Happen. 

Build your language and build yourself.
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Tags: