Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Demons, ghosts, spirit guides? Problems.  (Read 8031 times)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Demons, ghosts, spirit guides? Problems.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 05:33:49 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;146915
Welcome to being a woman with (suspected) ADHD. I was diagnosed when I was 7. I still have to fight doctors to acknowledge and treat it, insurance companies to cover it, etc. My doctor changed the dosage on my medication, and I'm *still* fighting to get it, because my insurance company requires a prior authorization to give ADHD meds to people over 18. I've been unmedicated for eight days now, and I'm kind of a wreck. I'm not trying to put you off checking into it, by any stretch of the imagination. If you feel like there's an issue there, please do get it checked. But I don't want you to be surprised when you still have to fight for the care you need, because there's a large chunk of the medical community that thinks of ADHD as something only rambunctious little boys have.

My 10 yr old son has ADHD and my 7 yr old daughter is bipolar and ADHD borderline. Good thing my current doctor actually listens to me. But I've known him for ten years or so. I'm taking a "mental exam" next month for social security. They are also taking my therapists notes into consideration. I really hope I don't have problems with getting treated. It's not exactly like I need more stress.

Do the medications make you tired, loopy, drowsy, drunkish, etc?

One positive thing with a diagnosis I suppose is that I can stop asking myself "wtf is wrong with me, why do I keep forgetting stuff (even important stuff), and losing important things?"  

It's very frustrating to not be able to maintain  a single train of thought without being derailed. It's why I haven't mastered meditating. And the hyper focus thing seems pretty accurate too. I've never heard that phrase before.  

*sigh*

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:21 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;146915
Welcome to being a woman with (suspected) ADHD. I was diagnosed when I was 7. I still have to fight doctors to acknowledge and treat it, insurance companies to cover it, etc. My doctor changed the dosage on my medication, and I'm *still* fighting to get it, because my insurance company requires a prior authorization to give ADHD meds to people over 18. I've been unmedicated for eight days now, and I'm kind of a wreck. I'm not trying to put you off checking into it, by any stretch of the imagination. If you feel like there's an issue there, please do get it checked. But I don't want you to be surprised when you still have to fight for the care you need, because there's a large chunk of the medical community that thinks of ADHD as something only rambunctious little boys have.

I hate when medical conditions are sexist. No one talks about how men also get breast cancer, or men can have fibromyalgia too. The other sex is more likely to get it but it's not exclusive. Seems ridiculous to me when the point should be to help people get better.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;146918
I hate when medical conditions are sexist. No one talks about how men also get breast cancer, or men can have fibromyalgia too. The other sex is more likely to get it but it's not exclusive. Seems ridiculous to me when the point should be to help people get better.

Amen. This is a BIG problem with the Autism spectrum. Asperger's especially is seen as only young boys and teenagers. I've also had the experience of teenaged boys with Aspergers getting away with waaaaay more inappropriate behavior than they should because for some reason it's OK for an adolescent boy to be a jerk, but heaven forbid a teenage GIRL should behave as anything less than a quiet, perfect lady. Society is much more welcoming of socially awkward males than socially awkward females.

More to the point, PLEASE fight for the care you need. DON'T take no for an answer if you can't get by and the doctors won't treat you. Keep going to different doctors until you find one who WILL listen. There ARE good doctors out there.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in elementary school, like Stephy, but the doctors refused to medicate me because I was doing "OK." Even though I was really struggling in school, because my grades were good, somehow that negated the fact that I needed help.

Stay strong OK? And that means don't be afraid to get psychiatric help if you need it.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:49 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;146920
Amen. This is a BIG problem with the Autism spectrum. Asperger's especially is seen as only young boys and teenagers. I've also had the experience of teenaged boys with Aspergers getting away with waaaaay more inappropriate behavior than they should because for some reason it's OK for an adolescent boy to be a jerk, but heaven forbid a teenage GIRL should behave as anything less than a quiet, perfect lady. Society is much more welcoming of socially awkward males than socially awkward females.

More to the point, PLEASE fight for the care you need. DON'T take no for an answer if you can't get by and the doctors won't treat you. Keep going to different doctors until you find one who WILL listen. There ARE good doctors out there.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in elementary school, like Stephy, but the doctors refused to medicate me because I was doing "OK." Even though I was really struggling in school, because my grades were good, somehow that negated the fact that I needed help.

Stay strong OK? And that means don't be afraid to get psychiatric help if you need it.

Thank you. I definitely plan on it. I was also under the mistaken impression that my good grades meant I didn't have it. My brother did. But I didn't act like he did. Instead I was polar opposite. Quiet, shy, never got in trouble, but I would read constantly. I got absorbed in books. So much that I could completely block out everything around me.

I don't know what is going on exactly, but it isn't just anxiety And stress.

Thanks everyone who answered.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2014, 11:00:12 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;146921
I would read constantly. I got absorbed in books. So much that I could completely block out everything around me.

That's actually a symptom of ADHD, too. It's called hyper-focusing. And yeah, I used to get in trouble for that at school ALL THE TIME. I'd be more interested in my library book than what the teacher was saying.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 02:20:36 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;146925
That's actually a symptom of ADHD, too. It's called hyper-focusing. And yeah, I used to get in trouble for that at school ALL THE TIME. I'd be more interested in my library book than what the teacher was saying.

I remember actually being left behind at a bowling alley and having my then husband come back in, he was incredulous that I hadn't heard him. He thought I was ignoring him. All I ever heard was "you need to get your nose out of that book" starting when I was a kid. I'm a speed reader now.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2014, 06:31:25 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;146917
My 10 yr old son has ADHD and my 7 yr old daughter is bipolar and ADHD borderline. Good thing my current doctor actually listens to me. But I've known him for ten years or so. I'm taking a "mental exam" next month for social security. They are also taking my therapists notes into consideration. I really hope I don't have problems with getting treated. It's not exactly like I need more stress.

Do the medications make you tired, loopy, drowsy, drunkish, etc?

One positive thing with a diagnosis I suppose is that I can stop asking myself "wtf is wrong with me, why do I keep forgetting stuff (even important stuff), and losing important things?"  

It's very frustrating to not be able to maintain  a single train of thought without being derailed. It's why I haven't mastered meditating. And the hyper focus thing seems pretty accurate too. I've never heard that phrase before.  

*sigh*

It depends on the medication. Depending on your individual diagnosis (whether there's anything going on WITH the ADHD--many other mental health conditions are common alongside it) and other factors, there are quite a few different things that could be prescribed, and even medications in the same class may not be identical. Adderall jacked me up in the mornings, because it was too high a dose, and then when it started to wear off in the afternoons,  I was flat out evil. Methylphenidate group meds (Ritalin/Concerta) seem to work better for me, but I know people for whom it's the opposite.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;146955
It depends on the medication. Depending on your individual diagnosis (whether there's anything going on WITH the ADHD--many other mental health conditions are common alongside it) and other factors, there are quite a few different things that could be prescribed, and even medications in the same class may not be identical. Adderall jacked me up in the mornings, because it was too high a dose, and then when it started to wear off in the afternoons,  I was flat out evil. Methylphenidate group meds (Ritalin/Concerta) seem to work better for me, but I know people for whom it's the opposite.

Yeah, I agree that the right medication is important. Don't let anyone sell you the BS that what kind it is doesn't matter. IT MATTERS. Adderall worked beautifully at first, but when it wore off, I was basically incapacitated with exhaustion. Dexedrine...just messed me up. That stuff's kind of actually methamphetamine, you know?

I'm on a new med called Focalin right now, and still every now and then the dose needs tweaking. If I'm not in school, the high dose makes my symptoms WORSE (unlike Stephy, my symptoms of being overmedicated is a worsening of the ADHDness) So for a while I've been switching back and forth between 20 and 30mg - 2 to three capsules every morning.

Hell, the BRAND my meds are matters. I have a particular variety of generic Paxil for my anxiety that I MUST HAVE. I cannot have Paxil from any other manufacturer, or it just fucks me up. LOL...my paxil has to be special ordered sometimes, it can be a real pain in the ass! This is why I love my small-town pharmacy. I'm just worried that when I move to Raleigh and it becomes impractical to make the trip to my hometown for meds, how I'm going to keep getting my sooper-speshul Paxil...

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:33 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;146958

Hell, the BRAND my meds are matters. I have a particular variety of generic Paxil for my anxiety that I MUST HAVE. I cannot have Paxil from any other manufacturer, or it just fucks me up. LOL...my paxil has to be special ordered sometimes, it can be a real pain in the ass! This is why I love my small-town pharmacy. I'm just worried that when I move to Raleigh and it becomes impractical to make the trip to my hometown for meds, how I'm going to keep getting my sooper-speshul Paxil...

This is actually very common.  When companies take medications generic, they're required to do bioequivalency studies BUT even "inert" ingredients in medications can cause issues.  It's why, even though it can be prohibitively expensive, it is worth taking brand name meds if it is at all possible.

I'm on my fourth version of generic Paxil right now (four different manufacturers) and all have worked for me except the second one, which gave me a metallic taste in my mouth, made me sweat, AND more anxious.  Same "active" ingredient as all the others, so it should have worked the same.  It didn't.

*steps off pharma soapbox*
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2014, 10:33:12 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;147594
This is actually very common.  When companies take medications generic, they're required to do bioequivalency studies BUT even "inert" ingredients in medications can cause issues.  It's why, even though it can be prohibitively expensive, it is worth taking brand name meds if it is at all possible.

I'm on my fourth version of generic Paxil right now (four different manufacturers) and all have worked for me except the second one, which gave me a metallic taste in my mouth, made me sweat, AND more anxious.  Same "active" ingredient as all the others, so it should have worked the same.  It didn't.

*steps off pharma soapbox*

Thanks guys for your answers. I was given a certain test back a few month and the results came last week. He said that normally people score between 1-3. Some as high as ten bit that was starting to get high. I scored a lovely 40 on my anxiety and a 54 on my depression. He told me he doesn't are me having ADHD at all but that ADD was possible. However some anxiety symptoms mimic ADD and my anxiety was so high that it would mask most ADD problems. We are working on getting a handle on this. He said I have sever anxiety and depression so I need medication but more importantly we need to work on learning some coping skills. So that's where I am with that right now.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2014, 12:39:23 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;147847
Thanks guys for your answers. I was given a certain test back a few month and the results came last week. He said that normally people score between 1-3. Some as high as ten bit that was starting to get high. I scored a lovely 40 on my anxiety and a 54 on my depression. He told me he doesn't are me having ADHD at all but that ADD was possible. However some anxiety symptoms mimic ADD and my anxiety was so high that it would mask most ADD problems. We are working on getting a handle on this. He said I have severe anxiety and depression so I need medication but more importantly we need to work on learning some coping skills. So that's where I am with that right now.

That's really awesome to hear.

ETA- That you got a new diagnosis and treatment regimen, not that you're suffering depression and anxiety.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:44:34 am by Scales »

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »
Quote from: Scales;147851
That's really awesome to hear.

ETA- That you got a new diagnosis and treatment regimen, not that you're suffering depression and anxiety.

Thank you and I got it :)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 01:28:25 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;147847
Thanks guys for your answers. I was given a certain test back a few month and the results came last week. He said that normally people score between 1-3. Some as high as ten bit that was starting to get high. I scored a lovely 40 on my anxiety and a 54 on my depression. He told me he doesn't are me having ADHD at all but that ADD was possible. However some anxiety symptoms mimic ADD and my anxiety was so high that it would mask most ADD problems. We are working on getting a handle on this. He said I have sever anxiety and depression so I need medication but more importantly we need to work on learning some coping skills. So that's where I am with that right now.

I might check with someone a little more up to date with regard to ADHD, because ADD as a diagnosis actually doesn't exist anymore. There's ADHD-Primarily Hyperactive/Impulsive Type, ADHD-Primarily Inattentive Type, and what I have, which is listed as ADHD-Combined Type. If he's using the term ADD as a potential diagnosis, that is a red flag to me as to how current his training on the subject is, because it's listed as ADHD with subtypes not only in the DSM-5 from last year but also in the DSM-4 from 2000.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: