"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Writing an invocation?  (Read 1352 times)

Tawny-Owl

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Writing an invocation?
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:19 am »
For my first assignment from my mentor, she wants me to write my own invocation to the goddess, Brigid, for Imbolc. Are there any guidelines I should follow? I've read a few, but I can't pick out any sort of pattern. Some are poems, some are short speeches, a few read like chants. Any tips?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Writing an invocation?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:30:59 am »
Quote from: Tawny-Owl;92583
For my first assignment from my mentor, she wants me to write my own invocation to the goddess, Brigid, for Imbolc. Are there any guidelines I should follow? I've read a few, but I can't pick out any sort of pattern. Some are poems, some are short speeches, a few read like chants. Any tips?

Disclosure: I don't work in the Neo-Wiccan/Wiccish paradigm. Take what you find useful and toss the rest.

Whatever feels most natural and whatever speaks to you the most is probably best. You'll want to be able to focus on your invocation very strongly, so whatever helps you get into that zone the most is also something to consider. You can try writing a short speech, a poem, and a chant and then say each out loud in turn to see what you like the best.

What I usually do is say the deity's name, then list off some things about him or her. For example, my invocations to Bast usually start off something like this:

Oh Bast, Eye of Ra,
Lady of Light, Mistress of Heaven and Earth,
please hear my words. . . [and then I go on forever because anything for Bast involves a dozen+ lines of praise afterwards. :-p]

Or for Shree Ganesha:

Namaskar to Shree Ganesha,
Lord of Obstacles,
who grants boons to his followers easily.
I ask for his presence during this rite.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Writing an invocation?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
Quote from: Tawny-Owl;92583

You might be interested in _A Book of Pagan Prayer_ and _A Pagan Ritual Prayer Book_, by Ceisiwr Serith.  They both have lots of great examples of a huge variety of kinds of prayers, as well as tips on how to create your own prayers.

Serith's website (http://www.ceisiwrserith.com/) is also very good and includes some of the same info on prayers, as well as info on his other primary area of research, Proto-Indo European religion.

Hope this helps.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: