collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Working through things, could use some advice  (Read 831 times)

george

• View Profile
Working through things, could use some advice
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:59 am »
To start off

Does anyone have any tips or ridding oneself of long embedded negative emotions? Without going into much detail about the subject. Certain things that I believe, I tend to disagree with people at first it wasn't bad, but recently its gotten out of hand. I want to change that.

Now I have not believed in any sort of monotheistic religion for years. I have the belief of forces of nature or "Natural Deities" although I never really sought to further myself in this particular area. I knew what I felt; at night, walking through the woods, standing knee deep in the ocean. Couldn't explain it but I felt it. (also if someone could kindly point me in the right direction on where to look for more information about this, maybe even give me a name to go off of that would be great) However I never really thought a need to delve further. Due to the reasons generalized above I have decided, for my own sake (as well as other reasons), to further myself spiritually. I feel it would be good for me on personal level. Now I am new to this so except for the few books I have read, I haven't had any experience experimenting in different areas, so I'm open to new ideas.

Allaya

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: It's Complicated
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Working through things, could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:55:03 am »
Quote from: george;183608
To start off

Does anyone have any tips or ridding oneself of long embedded negative emotions? Without going into much detail about the subject. Certain things that I believe, I tend to disagree with people at first it wasn't bad, but recently its gotten out of hand. I want to change that.

Now I have not believed in any sort of monotheistic religion for years. I have the belief of forces of nature or "Natural Deities" although I never really sought to further myself in this particular area. I knew what I felt; at night, walking through the woods, standing knee deep in the ocean. Couldn't explain it but I felt it. (also if someone could kindly point me in the right direction on where to look for more information about this, maybe even give me a name to go off of that would be great) However I never really thought a need to delve further. Due to the reasons generalized above I have decided, for my own sake (as well as other reasons), to further myself spiritually. I feel it would be good for me on personal level. Now I am new to this so except for the few books I have read, I haven't had any experience experimenting in different areas, so I'm open to new ideas.

My general rule is that mundane solutions should be explored first before even thinking about moving to magically facilitated ones.

Ergo, I would advise you to explore the reasons/cause/root of those negative emotions.  You might want to consider seeing a therapist if you can afford it; there is no shame in doing so.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

george

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:03:53 am »
Quote from: Allaya;183610
My general rule is that mundane solutions should be explored first before even thinking about moving to magically facilitated ones.

Ergo, I would advise you to explore the reasons/cause/root of those negative emotions.  You might want to consider seeing a therapist if you can afford it; there is no shame in doing so.

I know the reason and the cause for those negative emotions. I had not considered a therapist, though i couldn't afford even a bad one at this point, it's not a bad idea. I have tried working through them myself, talking with close personal family. I just wasn't sure if there was something I could do to help the process along. I'm not sure if it was clear in my original message. I'm not looking for a short cut, I understand that I will still need to work at it myself, nor is the problem going to go away over night. just trying to help the whole thing along...make sense?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 10:12:11 am »
Quote from: george;183608
Does anyone have any tips or ridding oneself of long embedded negative emotions?

Kala rite.

http://www.lilithslantern.com/kala.htm
http://www.feritradition.org/grimoire/practices/practices_kalarite.htm

It is by no means a cure-all, but performed correctly it can loosen up a lot of crap and make it tractable for working through.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: It's Complicated
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:23:41 am »
Quote from: george;183615
I know the reason and the cause for those negative emotions. I had not considered a therapist, though i couldn't afford even a bad one at this point, it's not a bad idea. I have tried working through them myself, talking with close personal family. I just wasn't sure if there was something I could do to help the process along. I'm not sure if it was clear in my original message. I'm not looking for a short cut, I understand that I will still need to work at it myself, nor is the problem going to go away over night. just trying to help the whole thing along...make sense?

You might want to consider journaling as a way of exploring those negative patterns. It can be very useful as a therapeutic tool.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Jenett

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »
Quote from: george;183615
I just wasn't sure if there was something I could do to help the process along. I'm not sure if it was clear in my original message. I'm not looking for a short cut, I understand that I will still need to work at it myself, nor is the problem going to go away over night. just trying to help the whole thing along...make sense?

Besides the kala exercise Darkhawk suggested, and journalling, there are also organizations out there that will do some kinds of counselling or active listening for free.

The one where I know people who've both used and volunteered for it is Seven Cups of Tea: http://www.7cups.com/ - it's free, online, and their volunteers have training. It's not good for crisis type things (though they can refer you to that) but it can be really helpful for the kind of thing you're talking about, where you're trying to work through something, but talking it out with someone can be really helpful. They also have some self-help guides and other resources that might help you get started.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;183617
Kala rite.

http://www.lilithslantern.com/kala.htm
http://www.feritradition.org/grimoire/practices/practices_kalarite.htm

It is by no means a cure-all, but performed correctly it can loosen up a lot of crap and make it tractable for working through.

How often would you suggest doing this?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;183621
How often would you suggest doing this?

My current practice includes kala in my morning routine, my evening routine, and as needed.  (Where 'as needed' includes 'fuck I'm dealing with a horrible emotional mess RIGHT NOW let me try to unsnarl it', 'before ritual', and other reasons.)

I haven't always done it that often, mind.  That's just where I am right now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:58:13 pm by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: