Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: What type of pagan am I?  (Read 2366 times)

Ellie

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
What type of pagan am I?
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:44:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm Ellie, and I'm a new pagan. I've done some research on kinds of paganism trying to figure out if I fit a particular "kind." I realize some people consider this need to fit somewhere a Western religion-holdover, beginner-pagan weirdness, but I thought I'd run my beliefs by you all anyway. Does/do particular kind(s) of paganism comes to mind when you read this list?

• Nature is holy
  • There is some sort of goddess presence in my life
  • I don't believe in an afterlife or heaven, except in the sense that spirits sometimes stay here
  • I don't believe in reincarnation
  • I don't do spells or magic by the definitions that I've found in my research (Wiccan or otherwise), but I do pray to the Goddess/Universe force in my life
  • I'm not sure if there's a God figure or not, or that nature is sentient and trees have spirits... I guess you could say I'm "soft" polytheistic, as in not sure if there are other gods/goddesses out there.

...Any words of wisdom, suggestions, guidance, etc. would be very welcome. I'm just beginning to find the words for the things I've felt all my life.

Thank you for your help,

Ellie

Allec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What type of pagan am I?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »
Quote from: Ellie;134609
Does/do particular kind(s) of paganism comes to mind when you read this list?

Sounds like a type of pantheism, or even panentheism. For more types of theisms, Wikipedia does a good job defining them.

Also, Gleewood's page "Where to Start" is really helpful. Though, it sounds like you may have your own sort of beliefs that are separate. Which is fine! As long as you aren't partaking in cultural appropriation. You can do nature worship that is equal to Goddess worship because the two are the same for you.
"The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Spiritual and Religious Tumblr || My "About Allec" Page || My Religious Blogspot Blog ||Cross Quarterly Zine

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm Ellie, and I'm a new pagan. I've done some research on kinds of paganism trying to figure out if I fit a particular "kind." I realize some people consider this need to fit somewhere a Western religion-holdover, beginner-pagan weirdness, but I thought I'd run my beliefs by you all anyway. Does/do particular kind(s) of paganism comes to mind when you read this list?

• Nature is holy
  • I don't believe in an afterlife or heaven, except in the sense that spirits sometimes stay here
  • I don't do spells or magic by the definitions that I've found in my research (Wiccan or otherwise), but I do pray to the Goddess/Universe force in my life
  • I'm not sure if there's a God figure or not, or that nature is sentient and trees have spirits... I guess you could say I'm "soft" polytheistic, as in not sure if there are other gods/goddesses out there.

...Any words of wisdom, suggestions, guidance, etc. would be very welcome. I'm just beginning to find the words for the things I've felt all my life.

Thank you for your help,

Ellie

So you have a sense of panentheism, and some base-line animistic beliefs. That's cool. So what do you do? Any offerings you leave? Rites you celebrate? Mythic storytelling you find holds divine truth? You mentioned a belief in spirits, can you define those beliefs into a who, what, when, where, why, and how format?

I'm not being a prick, just asking to see where your beliefs lay and maybe coax an idea/epiphany here and there.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:23:40 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm Ellie, and I'm a new pagan...

Thank you for your help,

Ellie

You're a seeker, Ellie, by which I mean you've already taken some steps toward figuring out where your starting point is and where you want to go from here.

I'd suggest you take a look at the following resources, in addition to Jenett's Seeking site, which was recommended previously:

The Cauldron's Pagan Primer.  There's a lot of good information in here.

Our Teens and Paganism FAQ, which has useful things for teens and non-teens alike (don't let the name throw you!)

Lots of people try too quickly to nail down definitions for themselves and end up hopping from one religious path to another in quick succession, without really learning anything.  I suggest taking your time, looking into things that interest you and, of course, asking questions here when you have any.

Good luck on your journey!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Kairos

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

• Nature is holy

Thank you for your help,

Ellie

You seem like a pleasant and cordial pagan to me.
Kairosophy - A Pagan\'s Musing on All Things Sacred and Spiritual.

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm Ellie, and I'm a new pagan.

Thank you for your help,

Ellie

Hi Ellie - When I was first starting out, I called myself a Nancyist. I belonged to a religion that had a membership of 1.

These days, if I am pressed I tell people I am the head of a First-generation Family Tradition Fusion Pagan.

Editing to add:
Ad if asked if I am a good witch or a bad witch, I just smile and say even if cursing I'm a very, very good witch.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:38:27 pm by NanLT »

Tags: