collapse

Author Topic: What makes you so sure about your beliefs?  (Read 8750 times)

Charis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What makes you so sure about your beliefs?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
Quote from: Nycteris;57235
It would be the same as you worshipping me by my forum nickname instead of my real life name, it would still reach me and i would view it as a personal choice.

I couldn't help but get a mental image of this and giggling.  I should totally do that.  xD
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:49:01 pm by Charis »

incendium

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 11:38:46 pm »
Quote from: GKDAIR;54409
1) What makes you so sure about your beliefs? Why do you believe in pagan gods like thor and or zeus instead of jesus?

2) With all these different pagan beliefs, aren't you worried you picked the wrong one and will die in whatever "hell" exists?

3) Why did you pick your belief?

Thanks for all the help guys!

1) I know much about this world enough to know how to be in it and know manies properly. The gods, are my choice to love for their presence on this world.
2) I do not believe in Hell.
3) It suits my being in knowing that there is my own truth into the bigger things in this reality.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan & Christian heretic. Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:56 am »
1) What makes you so sure about your beliefs? Why do you believe in pagan gods like thor and or zeus instead of jesus?

Well, for a start I do believe in Jesus, and in the god of the Abrahamic religions. I had many years of experiencing them (as well as Sophia and Mary and various saints). I could backtrack, and deny now that I did believe in them, but that would be pointless. I did believe in them, and essentially I still do. In the wise words of Lafayette from True Blood: "Jesus and I agreed to see other people, but that don't mean we don't still talk from time to time." I believe in the gods that I honour now because I had experiences of them.

2) With all these different pagan beliefs, aren't you worried you picked the wrong one and will die in whatever "hell" exists?

No, because I don't believe in hell - or in heaven. My personal opinion is that all ideas about the afterlife are metaphorical. I'm not a dualist, and I'm not sure my soul could be me without my body. It may go on in some other form, but that's not something I can ever know (until I die), so I don't worry about it. I focus on how amazing it is that I'm made from matter that used to be stars, and that when I die, that matter will return to the earth to become part of its glorious cycle of life and death. Beautiful. The rest is about what I choose to do and who I choose to honour now. I honour the gods of my ancestors, because they turned up and I think they're awesome. The end.

Unlike some people in this thread, I basically did choose my belief. A few years ago I was faced with many roads of belief. I believed in Jesus and the god of Christianity, but I did not want to be a Christian (and I didn't agree with most of the tenets of Christianity anymore). I could have become an agnostic and not worried about religion at all, but that didn't feel right to me. Then the gods I worship now turned up, and I made a choice to honour them and to explore all the things that interested me - magic, reconstructionism, all sorts of things. I tried a lot of things on for size, dismissed most of it, and chose the things that worked for me.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:47 pm »

I just have some questions for you all.

I believe in Jesus. I just don't worship him. As for my beliefs, they are ever changing and growing. There are a few things that in my heart I KNOW. Those are the things that are important.

I am much much more worried about what happens to me in this life, what I can learn, the wisdom I can gather and how I can put it into practice while I am still walking about in this body than I am about what happens when my flesh ceases to exist.

As others have said......... I didn't pick my spiritual path, it reached out and grabbed me and would not let go. Even though I really had other plans. I was happily trying to build my own personal practice based on Asatru, Druidry, and Shadows Flamekeeping. But thats not how it ended up for me, though I probably still incorporate bits of all of that in as well.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »

1.  I do believe in Jesus.  I'm a hard polytheist--I believe that Jesus is a Diety; I respect Him (we're still on speaking terms and talk sometimes), but I do not worship Him.

I worship the Gods I do now because I've had experiences with Them, have heard Them speak to me.  I've had prayers answered (in a way that they weren't answered when I was Christian.)  I've looked back over my life ans have seen Them guiding me even when I didn't realize it.

2.  No, I'm not.  I'm more worried about my life here.  

3.  I did not choose to be Kemetic--the Gods (more specifically, Anubis) chose me.  Once I realized He was in my life, He wouldn't leave, and when I got comfortable with Him, several others from the pantheon showed up.  The more I learn about Kemetic beliefs the more I feel called to it.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »
Hello everyone.

I've been looking into pagan beliefs for a while now, I am agnostic and just trying to find myself, I do believe in a higher form of power, but I do not accept the more bigger religions like Christianity.

I identify as a Christian with neo-pagan leanings, so I hope it is still appropriate for me to give my take on this.

1.  Some neo-pagans, including some on this forum, do believe in Jesus and may or may not have a devotion to him.  I believe in Jesus, but because of my unique view of truth and reality, I don't deny the existence of the pagan deities.  None of us has a direct perception of reality.  We have only our own subjectivity, and that is as real as anything can be.  So if someone has an experience of an entity or if I'm reading mythology (usually Greek) I understand this to be a part of the experiences of people, and all these experiences have reality within the mind of the universe or God, if you will.  I do not reduce all gods to one god or all goddess to one goddess.  I do believe all reality is ultimately one while acknowledging that making distinctions between one entity and another as in hard polytheism is still valid.  We are distinct individuals, but are still a part of one reality.

2.  No, I am not afraid of going to hell for having the wrong beliefs or practices.  I think of hell as an experience, the same with heaven.  What could be hell for one person could be heaven for another.  We are all in the same reality.  We all have tasted of pain and pleasure.  Heaven or hell is a matter of perspective.  I cannot disprove that there is an eternal hell, a place, but I have no reason to believe that, nor do I think it is the only or even the best interpretation of the Bible.

3.  I did not pick my beliefs.  They are the product of my experience of the world and will continue to evolve as I change.  This is true of people with traditional religious views as well.  We all learn and grow.  I did not choose my socialization or the environment I was born into.  My life has propelled me into new beliefs and out of old ones I once cherished and wouldn't have let go of had I really had a choice.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lokean/Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 06:29:59 pm »
Hello everyone.

I've been looking into pagan beliefs for a while now, I am agnostic and just trying to find myself, I do believe in a higher form of power, but I do not accept the more bigger religions like Christianity.

1) Because it feels right and my experiences have proved to me that they're real, and I have grown through those experiences. Plus, I never believed in Jesus, even as a kid. I viewed him as a nice man and today, simply a revolutionist of his time. I don't view him as a savior nor someone to be worshiped.

2) No, I'm not worried. Besides, I'm more than well acquainted with Her Father so.... :p Sorry, couldn't resist cracking a joke there.

3) I didn't choose it and truthfully, I'm still figuring it out and building it. I would have been happily Eclectic and a little Hellenic if Loki didn't walk into my life and feel so much like home, and draw in Odin along with him. Odin wants me to let go of that Eclecticism, so I'm kind of left with a) a Heathen worldview and gods; b) my mystical leanings; c) my magical leanings and d) my wanting--which has approval--of incorporating some Celtic elements or practices into my own.

Tags: