collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 26 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 03:37:43 am]

Re: Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 06:51:33 pm]

Re: Crazy thought by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 06:18:59 pm]

Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by Delphinium
[Yesterday at 04:55:01 pm]

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 04:09:16 pm]

Author Topic: What are the most common Incenses, oils, stones and herbs used in spells?  (Read 4031 times)

Jaimee1999

• View Profile
Hello! So I'm new, and I was using ask.com but ppl wern't the nicest there, so I came here.

I just wanted to know in most spells, what incenses, oils, stones, and herbs are needed? What other stuff is most needed? I know that some spells will call for stuff that I need to buy for that spell, but what is the most used?

Also, If you get an oil on yourself that isn't luck, or something else plesent, what do you do? Wash it off? I have been wondering this because my mother gave me a box of oils, and a few of them were........not the nicest......I'm just worried some was on the box, and I touched it. Thank you all and I hope I get plesent replies from you plesent people. ;):)
"I Forget To Forget Nothing Is Important"-Smashing Pumpkins: To Forgive:)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Hi there! Answering this question of yours before the other one, because this one is a little simpler to answer.

Quote from: Jaimee1999;104178

I just wanted to know in most spells, what incenses, oils, stones, and herbs are needed? What other stuff is most needed? I know that some spells will call for stuff that I need to buy for that spell, but what is the most used?

Short version: it depends on what kind of stuff you want to do. There are kinds of magic that get very elaborate with 'stuff'. There are also plenty of kinds of magic that don't require lots of equipment.

Which ones you choose will probably depend a bit on your personal preferences, and also a bit on your inclinations - which things work well for you most naturally. Usually figuring that out takes some trial and error.

In general, I tend to favour knot magic (and I usually have various yarns around anyway, which makes that easy), some specific forms of candle magic, and magic that relies on repeated symbols over time (for which I sometimes use Tarot cards, sometimes draw pictures, and sometimes make items out of polymer clay - which is fairly inexpensive and can be baked hard in a regular oven, though there are some safety precautions.)

For starter stuff, I tend to suggest that if people want to explore essential oils that lavender, rosemary, and something like sweet orange will go a long way. (the first two both have multiple magical uses in useful directions. Mints can be useful for some kinds of things too.)

Stones and herbs are a little trickier, as there's a lot of variation, but a lot of culinary herbs (i.e. stuff you can get in your grocery store easily) go a long way. Rosemary, basil, mint, sage, and orange peel or some spices cover a lot of magical bases fairly easily. (If you want to infuse them in oils to make magical oils, sweet almond is more shelf stable as an oil than olive oil, but olive oil will work fine for a lot of purposes.)

Generally, starting with "Here's what I'm interested in doing" and then looking at what you can get access to is more useful than "Let me just accumulate a bunch of stuff."

The stuff I always have on hand? Sea salt (goes in the bathtub as a cleanser), a soap that feels magical to me (usually handmade stuff from craft fairs or etsy), a couple of essential oils (rosemary, lavender, sweet orange are things I always have on hand), a candle or two, lengths of yarn or embroidery floss in various colours, and drawing paper and coloured pencils.

Also, If you get an oil on yourself that isn't luck, or something else plesent, what do you do? Wash it off? I have been wondering this because my mother gave me a box of oils, and a few of them were........not the nicest......I'm just worried some was on the box, and I touched it.

You can wash it off.

Oils are not POTENT MAGICAL ITEMS all by themselves. If they're magically charged, it's good to treat them with respect and attention (don't apply them just because they smell nice if you've set them up to be a magical working, for example). But if some spills, or gets on a box, or whatever, you can wash it off.

If you have items that you feel aren't what you want near your working tools, you can dispose of them in whatever way makes sense to you. Some people store magical items in silk to prevent them from picking up stray unwanted energy, which can also work if you have items you want to keep (say oils with a charged focus that isn't what you want generally) but store separately from other magical items.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

WindyCityWitch

• View Profile
Quote from: Jaimee1999;104178

I would suggest Scott Cunningham's "Complete Book of Incense, oils & Brews". I believe that he gives fairly good Wiccan-specific info, though through my experience his correspondence charts are pretty good. Check out some pagan books & articles -not just on the interwebs- and you'll start to get a feel for what you need. Also, you don't need/shouldn't have to go out and buy a fancy athame, expensive cauldron etc... I used to do rituals with a pen knife and a dedicated cup for my chalice.
As a self-acclaimed household/kitchen witch I totally support looking at the candles and things you already own and dedicate/bless them before you go out and buy something new and arbitrary to your practice.

Whew, sorry that was long winded. Just remember, the tools don't make the wiccan, the practices do.
A.K.A. waywardhellenic.tumblr.com

Tags: