Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: what's your Everyday Carry? (pocket dump)  (Read 3183 times)

crea1a

• View Profile
what's your Everyday Carry? (pocket dump)
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:24 pm »
was wondering - especially with the polytheistic and chaos magicians, or even in general. it's what you carry on your person. EDC: everyday carry.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: what's your Everyday Carry? (pocket dump)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:25:48 am »
was wondering - especially with the polytheistic and chaos magicians, or even in general. it's what you carry on your person. EDC: everyday carry.

Right pocket--cellphone and the handcrafted wooden pen I use as my magic wand.

Left pocket--a lighter and one (sometimes two) of several protective tokens: a piece of lapis lazuli, an owl-shaped pewter charm bought from the airport on the way to my father's funeral, a couple of small items taken from my father's possessions (a worn-out Mercury dime and a tiny bottle of cologne), a broken old miniature compass given to me at a thrift shop in my hometown "to help you find your way home" when I mentioned I was moving across the country soon...

Sometimes I put a small notepad in a pocket too. If I'm not carrying a bag, my keys and wallet go in there as well.

At my extremely cursed last job, I used to carry packets of salt in my left pocket.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:56:42 am »

Right pocket cell phone, and a dice (my kid said it always brings me luck), back right pocket wallet, left pocket is usually empty unless I don't have a suit jacket that day in which case there's a notepad and pen (if I have a suit jacket on notepad goes on the inside pocket with the pen.)
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »

My purse is a bottomless pit. I could carry a friggin arsenal of magic shit if I wanted to.

That said, I don't want to. The only magic item in my purse at all times is eyeliner, since I don't always even keep my notebook and pen handy.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:01:39 pm »
Right: cellphone, lip calm, a very smooth sedimentary rock (found by my husband when he was walking a railroad track at lunch one day) whose alternating light and dark layers make it look like a piece of wood

Left:  pill box (with purple triskele on lid) with the day's meds, citrine crystal (gift from my husband from a trip to Uruguay); brass acorn with screw off cap, full of tiny shells I picked up on Oahu; pendulum I made with quartz crystal (with black inclusions and tiny gold topaz crystal on the side) on one end and a brass pendant (reproduction of a decorative Celtic pendant found in La Tene) on the other; and 2 keys on a brass dragon keyring (Crafty Celts) if I'm working in the theater that day or a DataWatch card if I'm working in the office

When I fix my prayer beads, they'll go in one of my pockets, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:08:25 pm »
My phone in its wallet case, usually has some cash, id, bank card, insurance card, bus card, wallet spell. My little bullet journal and a pen go in my other pocket. My keychain hangs on my belt and has keys both practical and non, a Gerber Dime for fixing things, and a handful of charms/keychains.

I have a pouch I move between my smaller day bag and my larger day bag depending on my plans, that has stuff like divination tools, bandana, phone charger, first aid kit, and the like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »

In either pocket: cell phone or wallet. I also carry a tote bag with me which has a crap ton of stuff (mostly my school stuff - things I need as a teacher). I also carry in it my magick diary, the pen that goes with said diary, the latest book I'm reading for my studies, and a key from @Morbid that I'm trying to get used to, and yet, the spirit attached to it hasn't really spoken to me... hmm.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:28 am »

Like Emma Eldritch, I don't routinely carry much magical stuff.

Bag: (see note below)
Black messenger bag with a patch saying "Eldritch Librarian" (from Evil Supply Co., no longer available.) No one at work has ever asked about it, though my bag is not usually places where it's easy to see up close without specifically trying.

It has various minor necessities (pen, some index cards, menstrual pads), but I've been exploring keeping it really light recently. And it has my lunch when going to work (when going other places, it usually has my iPad and keyboard, maybe a water bottle.)

Smaller bag:
- Pill case (I got one made that says "Virgo Hufflepuff: Details Managed" which delights me every time I see it) which has the pills I take at work plus a couple of spares of the obligatory stuff in case I get caught out somewhere + ibuprofen and naproxen sodium. I don't bother with spares of the vitamins, since it's not a big deal to skip a couple there.

- Wallet, which includes some wallet magic workings (done on thick paper, then put into a lamination pouch for protection/ease of use.)

- Wallet pouch, which has the cards I use less frequently, a few bandaids, etc. (This stays clipped into the bag: I sometimes take the wallet out separately if I'm getting lunch at work or doing a quick errand.)

- Sunglasses

- Outer pocket has index cards and a few (work) business cards since otherwise I forget to have them when I need them.

Pockets
Right pocket has my phone (at work it's often plugged in on my desk if I'm there) and my car/house keys. Left pocket has my work keys. The phone has a bunch of magical-related stuff on it, but, y'know. Small computer that lives in my pocket and rarely makes phone calls.

(In terms of bags, I am a Tom Bihn fan: my bigger bag is the Maker's Bag, the smaller one is currently a Traveller's Cubelet, and I am glad to geek about these or others with people who like that sort of thing.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »

I was obsessed with survival books as a kid, so my everyday carry tends to run a bit heavy on the 'what if'.

While I do sometimes just carry my id/cash/debit card, keys and phone, normally if I'm going out the door I have my purse.  I almost always carry a bottle of water as well.

So, in the purse:  dental floss (for string, plus it's normal use), mints, cough drops, lip balm, basic meds (two strengths of painkillers plus allergy meds), tissues, 2x headbands (hair is too short for ponytails), face shield (basically a fabric tube you can put over your neck/mouth/nose to keep bugs out and warmth in), keys, wallet (my proper wallet has a rosary card in it, a prayer card, blessing money as well as my normal wallet stuff), notebook, calendar, sticky notes, coupon holder, Norse inspired coins (set of 5, made for gaming, but I keep a set in my purse as a devotional thing), small goddess statue (she lives on my desk, but this year she is part of my practice, so if I leave the house, she comes with), bandaids, small polyhedral dice set, bandana, granola bar (I started this when son was little, but I'm a snacker too, so having food on hand at all times is kind of a must).  My purse isn't that big either, I swear!

My backpack has even more stuff in it...
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:50:26 pm »

Ruger LC-9. Also ID, bank card, inhaler, phone.

You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:54 pm »
I was obsessed with survival books as a kid, so my everyday carry tends to run a bit heavy on the 'what if'.

That makes two of us!

My purse contains roughly three categories of objects:

-Daily necessities: keys and passes, wallet, phone

-Likely emergencies: band-aids, swiss-army knife, sewing kit, comb, ibuprofen, lens cloth, folding chopsticks

-Unlikely emergencies: matches, candles, compass, fishhooks, water-purification tabs. (this is all in a small mints tin.)

I don't normally carry anything magic-related, though if I'm away from home overnight I have a pocket shrine that I take along.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 01:17:57 pm »

Pockets: chapstick, a glasses cleaning cloth, a key that my best friend has the twin to and we use for energy working, and my quartz pendulum.

If a stone or three wants closer contact and the pockets are large enough, you'll find those in there too.

Purse: could be used as an effective bludgeon if necessary, but amongst the expected things (wallet, keys, meds, etc), I have a big purple pouch that currently has a myriad of stones in it.  Every couple of weeks the bag is emptied out, and whoever wants off the daily ride can get off, and any piece that wants on, well, welcome aboard.  There's a whole lot of citrine, amethyst, and quartz in there presently, but the two longest residents are a rose quartz mouse and a red jasper wolf, both of which I do daily workings with.

There's usually a small notebook in one of the outer pockets too, with whichever gel pen wanted to come with me for the day. Lately, it's been the purple one.

Sundries include: Altoids, a tin of various medications, keys, wallet, hairbrush, gloves, two external batteries, all charging cords for all devices on me, the charging cord for the external batteries, pads and tampons, pens and pencils, a headband, fingerless gloves.  iPod.  Phone.  I have a water bottle attached via carabiner pretty much all year.  I'm sure there's more.

Self: I wear a lot of my magic, and the everyday kit has various rings dedicated to deities and entities I have working relationships with. 

I've got a silver, copper, and brass bracelet I use for energy workings with a deity I call Creator (different than God, it's my mostly anonymous nickname for the one who literally saved my life). 

Right now, a citrine wrapped in sterling silver I use in workings with Apollo and Artemis is the daily wear pendant. 

I have a Dominican blue amber pendant dedicated to a very close friendship of mine. 

Earcuffs, one that tunes in my internal frequencies and one that tunes out distractions. 

One of the many rings essentially never comes off, unless I'm handling meat or paint.  It's been on that finger since 2011, and the total time that it's been off of me probably comes in around three days worth of time total since then.  It's for Creator and Poet (another mostly anonymous nickname for one of my close deities), as they have a very dual (complicated) relationship, and I wanted as permanent as a commitment as I could make without basically getting a tattoo (I am so scared of needles).
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:16 pm »

Self: I wear a lot of my magic, and the everyday kit has various rings dedicated to deities and entities I have working relationships with. 

I sometimes forget to note wearables! 

It's funny, I got my ears pierced decades ago (as an adult) with the specific purpose of being able to match earrings to my needs for the day, and I've bought tons of earrings since then...but most days, I just leave in the locking hoops that were my first earring purchase (not counting the ones they used to pierce my ears).  Mostly, I'm lazy and don't leave the house regularly, but hubby is also on a weird work/sleep schedule, so I don't always have access to my jewelry.

Of course, there is my wedding band (I don't wear the engagement ring...it isn't big, but still gets caught on things).  Every year, my wedding band is part of a 'back to the routine' working I do after the holidays, to help me settle back into regular life, and to remind me that my routines are great and help me get through my days/weeks/months.  This ring stays on...always.  I don't think I've taken it off in years.

On my other hand, ring finger, there is a pentacle ring.  This one I take off at night (most nights, sometimes I forget) and for showers (its a bit bigger, so can get things stuck under it, but it also fits well enough that if I forget to take it off to shower, it's no big deal).  I mostly only take it off when working with dough (which could get stuck in it and be hard to clean).  I use it for protection, and for security (as a connection to the elements, to balance and just to feeling safe).

Several months ago, hubby bought me a bracelet cuff, that has also become a daily wear.  It has a triple moon, six Goddess images (all the same, just a repeated motif).  Inside the cuff it says, "Inspired Strong Abundant Serine."  It's actually a pretty feminine piece (not my usual..) but it definitely makes me feel like a warrior.  It lives on my desk when I'm sleeping, but is on pretty much otherwise (minus showers).

I will swap out the cuff for prayer cords if I am doing something that the cuff might be problematic for (mainly recently helping some friends move...I didn't want to get it caught on stuff), or if I need to wear sunscreen (I've had bad things happen to jewelry before when I was wearing sunscreen, so I'm more cautious now).  My main prayer cords are cord I braided, in five sections, and then knotted and dedicated to the Norse deities.  I wear them wrapped around my left wrist (they wrap 13 times, and end up looking like they have tassels, because of the way they are knotted together).  I also wear these when I really am feeling insecure and need more backup.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:08 pm »

Shirt pocket or left pants pocket if no shirt pocket: wooden beard comb, small tube of 'stache wax, small pill box with my meds.
Right pants pocket: phone.
Back right pants pocket: wallet.
Back left pants pocket: handkerchief.
On my belt, right hip: keys.
Around my neck: Thor's Hammer and Sanskrit pranava (OM) pendants, both in silver.

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 05:16:43 pm »

Wallet, keys. I bring my traveler's notebook with me more often than my phone these days - you could sooner part it from me than my paper and fountain pens.

I'm not very good at jewelry unless it's body jewelry that I don't mess with, so tattoos are preferable devotional decoration. Obviously I don't mess with those either!

I do plan on carrying some glamorbombing supplies with me when I go out from now on to use as offerings or to help nudge a space a little further into high strangeness.
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Tags: edc