collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Weird question: help me with finding a myth for drama?  (Read 2229 times)

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Weird question: help me with finding a myth for drama?
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:57:43 pm »
So my drama group are devising a piece to act out at the end of term, and - to cut a very long discussion short - we are planning on doing something based on the story of a Greek myth, and hopefully one involving a shipwreck. Does anyone know of a good Greek myth in which a shipwreck features prominently?

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Weird question: help me with finding a myth for drama?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »
Quote from: PlaceboArtist;51190
So my drama group are devising a piece to act out at the end of term, and - to cut a very long discussion short - we are planning on doing something based on the story of a Greek myth, and hopefully one involving a shipwreck. Does anyone know of a good Greek myth in which a shipwreck features prominently?

Off the top of my head, there are parts of the Odyssey.  I can't recall any others at the moment, though.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:46 pm »

The Argonautica has two ship wreck scenes in it.  Though for me the most explicit is the scene where the ship is pretty well wrecked by Talos due to thier disurbing of the sacred site.  HOwever, one might also build it about the scene where the Argo is beat up pretty good at the clashing rock though Medas ship if I recall correctly is sunk in the same scene.

Been a while since i read it so double check the specifics.  But as to a tale of story specifically about a ship wreck nothing comes to mind.

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;51207
The Argonautica has two ship wreck scenes in it.  Though for me the most explicit is the scene where the ship is pretty well wrecked by Talos due to thier disurbing of the sacred site.  HOwever, one might also build it about the scene where the Argo is beat up pretty good at the clashing rock though Medas ship if I recall correctly is sunk in the same scene.

Been a while since i read it so double check the specifics.  But as to a tale of story specifically about a ship wreck nothing comes to mind.

Thanks, I will look into it and see which will be better. :)

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;51193
Off the top of my head, there are parts of the Odyssey.  I can't recall any others at the moment, though.

Ooh. *goes and gets children's book of Odyssey from spare room* I will have a look at the plot.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »
The Argonautica has two ship wreck scenes in it.

Probably the best source, especially as this is a myth than many people will at least be familiar with.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »
The Argonautica ..

Perhaps presumptious on my part but I probably should state the the story of the Argonautica is the story of Jason and the Argonauts and their search for the golden fleece.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:25 pm »

This might be a stretch, but the myth of Dionysus involves him filling the whole thing with ivy and driving the sailors mad with music, so they leaped from the boat and turned into dolphins. Presumably, the ivy and lack of crew would lead to a shipwreck.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;51253
This might be a stretch, but the myth of Dionysus involves him filling the whole thing with ivy and driving the sailors mad with music, so they leaped from the boat and turned into dolphins. Presumably, the ivy and lack of crew would lead to a shipwreck.

Not quite the same but that would make the scene where Ulysses ties his men to the beams and rails to keep them from diving into the sea due to the Siren's song a shipwreck.  The Siren's song driving them mad and making them abandon the ship as it is driven upon the rocks to be wrecked and sunk.   If I recall correctly Ulyssess stuffed his ears with cloth and/or wax and tied himself to the wheel and even then he was still subject to their call and song.  Eventually distancing his ship from their song and saving it.

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:29:18 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;51253

Quote from: monsnoleedra;51257
Not quite the same but that would make the scene where Ulysses ties his men to the beams and rails to keep them from diving into the sea due to the Siren's song a shipwreck.  The Siren's song driving them mad and making them abandon the ship as it is driven upon the rocks to be wrecked and sunk.   If I recall correctly Ulyssess stuffed his ears with cloth and/or wax and tied himself to the wheel and even then he was still subject to their call and song.  Eventually distancing his ship from their song and saving it.

Thanks for both of these.

Tags: