Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: The Morrigan? Or Something Else?  (Read 2873 times)

Marmoset

• View Profile
The Morrigan? Or Something Else?
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »
I've considered myself a Celtic Polytheist since the beginning of this year.  I have always felt drawn to the Morrigan.  Anyway, I was wondering what it's like to be "thwapped" by a deity?  I need to know if this was really Her or not.  
This is what happened.

I've seen a lot of crows lately, but since it's autumn, I figured it was normal.  When I went to bed a few nights ago, I couldn't sleep.  I was exhausted, but I felt like there was something blocking me from falling asleep, I can't really describe it.  Anyway, I drifted into a sort of half-doze around midnight.  I saw (or dreamt about) a mature woman with long black hair in a deep red cloak standing in a dark forest clearing next to a small waterfall.  She said she was the Morrigan, then told me to stay awake and she would reveal something important.  I tried to stay up the rest of the night.  Whenever I dozed off I would hear a sharp command to stay awake.  I've tried meditating on this, but I'm not that good at it.  

Can anyone tell me whether this was actually the Morrigan, and if so, what should I do?
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -Albert Camus

Marmoset

• View Profile
Re: The Morrigan? Or Something Else?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:37 pm »
Quote from: Marmoset;74962
I've considered myself a Celtic Polytheist since the beginning of this year.  I have always felt drawn to the Morrigan.  Anyway, I was wondering what it's like to be "thwapped" by a deity?  I need to know if this was really Her or not.  
This is what happened.

I've seen a lot of crows lately, but since it's autumn, I figured it was normal.  When I went to bed a few nights ago, I couldn't sleep.  I was exhausted, but I felt like there was something blocking me from falling asleep, I can't really describe it.  Anyway, I drifted into a sort of half-doze around midnight.  I saw (or dreamt about) a mature woman with long black hair in a deep red cloak standing in a dark forest clearing next to a small waterfall.  She said she was the Morrigan, then told me to stay awake and she would reveal something important.  I tried to stay up the rest of the night.  Whenever I dozed off I would hear a sharp command to stay awake.  I've tried meditating on this, but I'm not that good at it.  

Can anyone tell me whether this was actually the Morrigan, and if so, what should I do?

Am I crazy?
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -Albert Camus

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:37 pm »
Quote from: Marmoset;74972
Am I crazy?

Hi Marmoset. Not being familiar with this pantheon, I can't say anything for sure other than you're a better judge of your sanity than any of us are. ;) As to whether or not this vision was about the Morrigan, that's also ultimately up to you. . . and her.

Someone more versed in the topic will come along fairly soon, I imagine.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »

The Morrigan's been my patron for years, and she has appeared to me as a woman in her thirties with long black hair. VERY long--at least to her hips. Red would definitely be one of her colors; not only is it the color of blood, red is the Celtic color of death.

She's not one to mince around--if she said she's the Morrigan, she is.

Given that she made you stay awake as long as you could, maybe you need to "wake up" and confront something in your life. However, there's no harm in asking what she wants from you.

I'd advise you not to wait around for her to come again--she values taking initiative quite highly.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:28 am »
This is what happened.

It sounds like it might be a genuine experience, but as with the most of thwaps, you don't know for certain unless you respond to the thwap giving the deity extra attention and see what happens.

Personally, back to the time, The Morrigan was working on me more closely, I was going to see crows, in groups of threes and or of one hooded crow, every time a message of sorts came by.

You might try giving Her offerings/prayers daily and see if She returns. Or just get more informed on Her, giving Her attention on more consistent basis and staying open to further comunication.

If She makes herself known again in response, you will know it wasn't a fluke.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Marmoset

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:21:50 am »

Thanks, everybody.  I'll definitely do some prayers, etc every day.  What would you suggest as an offering?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:52:01 pm by SunflowerP »

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:25 am »
Quote from: Marmoset;75010
Thanks, everybody.  I'll definitely do some prayers, etc every day.  What would you suggest as an offering?

In a pinch, anything you have available, but in my workings with her - occasional as she's not one of my Patrons - I've found a splash of Jameson's to be well received

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:01 am »

I don't have experiences with TM, but I second the suggestion to research her. You'll find information what kind of offerings she likes and you most likely will also come across bits of the myths about her which might highlight your own experiences. Be patient, it can take a while to understand the symbols in a dream/vision/meditation especially if those are grounded in the myth of a deity you don't know yet much about.

You could also talk with her while offering, ask specific questions of why she is there.

It's not necessarily a thwap (but it could be), it can also be that TM has a answer for one of your questions or is interested in working with you for some reason for a while. I've made the experience that it's easier to find out about why the deity is there if I don't wonder all the time if he/she is my patron or things like that. (Even if they were, the reason why they communicate with you has some important content.)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:29:39 am »
Quote from: Marmoset;74972
Am I crazy?

I don't think you're crazy. The Morrigan has been in out of my life for over 20 years now and your description does fit one of the ways She presents Herself  to me.

She usually shows up when there's some kind of work for me to do that's within Her areas of interest and influence. One thing I've noticed about Her, when She shows up with black hair, it usually has something to do with issues of sovereignty and personal power. Sometimes, the black hair means that big changes are on the way. Other times, She has very dark, auburn hair. That normally signals some kind of fight or battle. The dark red hair seems to indicate Her fiery, warrior aspect. YMMV, though.

I would recommend keeping things simple. let her know you've heard Her, and you're open to more communication. She'll find a way to let you know what she wants from you, though asking outright can't hurt.

For offerings, I second Rhyshadow's recommendation of Jameson's. If you can't get that, I've found that She enjoys dark chocolate and cinnamon together.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:36:32 am »

Shared Personal Gnosis suggests She is fond of whiskey, dragon's blood incense and earl grey tea. I recall giving Her red wine too, but you may probably find more on offerings in our specific thread for The Morrigan.:)

I worked with Her rather intensely for a time, and although I still honor Her, once She taught me what She meant to, Her presence in my life got more limited. So, I agree with Whaldexe that a twap is not necessarily the beginning of a patronage but, it's useful to behave like it might be, because even short-timed relationships with divine end up having a profound effect if you are 'all in'.

:)

Also TM is awesome and despite her aggressive reputation, I found Her to be a very encouraging influence, if the situation requires it.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:30 am »
I saw (or dreamt about) a mature woman with long black hair in a deep red cloak standing in a dark forest clearing next to a small waterfall.  

The Morrigan is described as being red or as being clothed in red several times in Irish lore, so it fits.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »
She said she was the Morrigan, then told me to stay awake and she would reveal something important.

So did she reveal something important?  If she didn't I would think it was just another way for your brain to keep you awake.  Maybe you should try to figure out why you couldn't sleep to begin with.

I would expect thwaps to be more substantial, personally.  Stupid God Tricks (like keeping you awake with a false promise of something significant as a reward) are far more likely to be your own subconscious, IMO.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
The Morrigan? Or Something Else?
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;75035
So did she reveal something important?  If she didn't I would think it was just another way for your brain to keep you awake.  Maybe you should try to figure out why you couldn't sleep to begin with.

I would expect thwaps to be more substantial, personally.  Stupid God Tricks (like keeping you awake with a false promise of something significant as a reward) are far more likely to be your own subconscious, IMO.

Absent

This makes sense. I don't know how common dream communication from the gods is for most people, but for me it's very rare. I think time can be a good indicator of whether it was a real 'message' or not. I had a dream of a deity about two years ago that I think might have been a real message, and I'm only just now starting to realise its significance. All the other dreams I've had that featured characters who may or may not have been gods were, on later reflection, probably just my brain working through a prayer I said before bed or an idea about a god that I'd been reading about.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Marmoset

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;75035

Absent

You may be right.  Nothing big happened after that.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
Quote from: Marmoset;75044
You may be right.  Nothing big happened after that.

You can never be too sure though. Whether you had some kind of mystic gnosis, or an experience from your subconscious, both can be pretty revealing.
Semper Fidelis

Tags: