Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Taranis and Thor  (Read 3243 times)

Vymir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Taranis and Thor
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:45:17 am »
Are Taranis and Thor considered the same deity? Has anybody ever worked with Taranis? If so, what were your experiences with him like? Is he a nice deity to work with?

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and Thor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:57:23 am »
Quote from: Vymir;50219
Are Taranis and Thor considered the same deity? Has anybody ever worked with Taranis? If so, what were your experiences with him like? Is he a nice deity to work with?
I would go ahead and say no. Taranis is a Gaulish and Brythonic Celtic God, and Thor being Norse. They do share a lot of similarities, but I do not consider them the same. But other Gods from culture to culture do share common things, but that doesn't mean they are the same deity.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Vymir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:31:52 am »
Quote from: Celtag;50221
I would go ahead and say no. Taranis is a Gaulish and Brythonic Celtic God, and Thor being Norse. They do share a lot of similarities, but I do not consider them the same. But other Gods from culture to culture do share common things, but that doesn't mean they are the same deity.

Thanks for clearing it up. I'm intrigued by Taranis, I dont know why. My main god is Thor so thinking the two were the same deity, I was wondering maybe Thor was calling me to call him under the name "Taranis" instead. Thor and Taranis do sound and even look very similar but they do seem to have differences as well. Reading a bit more, Taranis carries a thunderbolt and has associations with a wheel, whilst Thor carries a hammer. Have you ever worked with Taranis?

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:18:03 am »
Quote from: Vymir;50222
Thanks for clearing it up. I'm intrigued by Taranis, I dont know why. My main god is Thor so thinking the two were the same deity, I was wondering maybe Thor was calling me to call him under the name "Taranis" instead. Thor and Taranis do sound and even look very similar but they do seem to have differences as well. Reading a bit more, Taranis carries a thunderbolt and has associations with a wheel, whilst Thor carries a hammer. Have you ever worked with Taranis?
I personaly do not work with Taranis, but I find him very interesting and to be quite powerful. He was one of the first Celtic Deities I came across and have read up on him a bit.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
Quote from: Vymir;50219

Rather OT  but he has a lead role in Katherine Kurtz's novel "The  Adept" ( on the side of the "bad guys" though). How true a picture she paints of him I don't know - he isn't a deity I've ever had any reason to research but she has certainly done some homework on her sidhe and some of the other esoteric practices and rituals in the book.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Taranis and Thor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:07:02 am »
Quote from: Celtag;50221
But other Gods from culture to culture do share common things, but that doesn't mean they are the same deity.

I'm not personally acquainted with either Thor or Taranis, but I did just want to toss out the idea that it's possible some god/desses were and are known to different groups of people by different names.

I'm a hard polytheist, and, therefore, believe that the gods are all distinct, individual beings.  However, I also know that I, myself, have several names -- as do most of us.  F'ex, I'm Aster here on TC, I'm Mom to my kids, my friends call me by a nickname, I use a more formal version of my name professionally, and my husband has a totally different pet name for me.  ;)

I don't see why the gods couldn't do the same thing.

Just something to consider...  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: