Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: It’s been a while...  (Read 842 times)

Krow

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
It’s been a while...
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:21:08 am »
Recently, the topic of spirit guides has come up, and it’s a place where I’m wildly out of my depth. That being said, I’m wondering if anyone has heard of someone not having spirit guides (other than deity affiliation) because they are a spirit guide. Or in this case, had a past life as a familiar spirit (animal shaped) to another. I don’t know how else to explain this, so I hope it makes sense.
"If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm."
C | A | S | P | J

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
Re: It’s been a while...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
Recently, the topic of spirit guides has come up, and it’s a place where I’m wildly out of my depth. That being said, I’m wondering if anyone has heard of someone not having spirit guides (other than deity affiliation) because they are a spirit guide. Or in this case, had a past life as a familiar spirit (animal shaped) to another. I don’t know how else to explain this, so I hope it makes sense.

Could you explain what you mean by 'spirit guide' exactly? You mean a real, mortal human person who serves a tutelary spiritual role to someone else? Or are you talking about like astral stuff, 'faring forth'? Or are you talking about mediumship/spirit work? Or...?
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:03:14 pm »
I don’t know how else to explain this, so I hope it makes sense.

It made sense to me, but I can't really help much. Not having a spirit guide isn't unusual - many paths don't include the concept, for one thing. I haven't heard of someone being unable to have a spirit guide, or to be an incarnated spirit guide, but I don't see why either of those circumstances couldn't happen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Krow

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:23:46 am »
Could you explain what you mean by 'spirit guide' exactly? You mean a real, mortal human person who serves a tutelary spiritual role to someone else? Or are you talking about like astral stuff, 'faring forth'? Or are you talking about mediumship/spirit work? Or...?

A friend of mine works with his spirit guides all the time and for him they’re spirits that were assigned to him to help him through life. At least that’s how I understood when he explained it. He also doesn’t ascribe to deities, so that throws my understanding off even more because I very much do. I’ve seen “spirit guide” interchanged with “patron deity,” “animal totem,” and “guardian angel, but it’s not a concept I know a lot about, short of talking to him and his insistence that everyone has at least one assigned to them over the course of their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm."
C | A | S | P | J

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 94
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal