Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic: Spiritual Tear Down  (Read 6906 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Re: Spiritual Tear Down
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 08:34:52 pm »

That's not impossible, though most small community collections are - well, managed by small communities, so figuring out what they have, and whether the copy is where it's supposed to be are a bit more up in the air than a larger library a lot of the time. (Or whether the collection is being developed by any means other than 'this is what people wanted to donate')

This varies vastly - I was at a meeting with a (Pagan) graduate of Harvard Divinity School Friday, and from what he said, the collection was not particularly on the Pagan front. (They have some things, but honestly, chances are pretty good that most people who have been seriously attentive to Pagan reading for more than a couple of years and have even a quite modest grad student type budget probably have a better personal collection on the topic most of the time. At least when it comes to materials centered on practice, rather than say sociological study or history.)

There are a couple of specific Pagan library projects - the New Alexandrian Library project in Delaware is probably the best known (but visits are by appointment only, and you have to visit to use any materials). I believe Ardantane in New Mexico has something of a library, but I think Cherry Hill Seminary's is online only. (And before anyone wonders about that, creating access to ebook versions legally for niche topics is exceedingly complicated for a small library, print is at least three times easier.) There have been other attempts over the years, but they've mostly ended up as boxes of books in people's storage spaces (starting a library is really really hard in ways a lot of people don't realise. Staffing one with volunteers is even harder.)

I will note that for the two books in question, there are two major seminary libraries in the Boston area that attract a number of UUs (i.e. people who are more likely to be interested in the topic than your average seminary). While there are copies of the Mallory book as I noted, the closest copy of the Sither book is New Jersey.

Again, not at all surprising, given the ADF publishing. A lot of academic libraries (and that includes seminaries) have collection development policies that make it unlikely they're going to add many small publisher niche titles unless there is a specific course need, probably driven by a professor, not by a student.

Yes, more good information. I had not heard of Ardantane or the New Alexandrian Library. I was familiar with Cherry Hill. I came across it while looking at UU Theological Schools. I for a long time considered myself a Universalist Monk, a Solitary,  so I have familiarized myself with some of the resources of the UU. Anyway, good stuff. I will be coming back to this topic as it will be an ongoing project of my personal Religious Education. Thanks again for the posts and the good resources.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 01:36:31 pm »
Yes, I have looked at the whole list. Unfortunately, my City Library does not seem to carry any of these books. I might check up at the University Library where I can get Library Privileges because I am an Alum. I really do not have the money to go and buy some of these books. Anyway, thanks for pointing out that book. It looks pretty good. Maybe I will find it up at the University.

Yes, so I had a minor victory. My University Library has "In search of the Indo-Europeans: language, archaeology, and myth", by J.P. Mallory. I think I owe some fees from the last time I took on online Graduate Course at the University. So, there might be a problem getting a Library Card as an Alum until I pay off what I owe. Which is fine. I can just go up to the Library and read the book in the stacks at a desk. So, I had a good result.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
Book the second:
When I search on Deep ancestors : practicing the religion of the proto-Indo-Europeans by Ceisiwr Serith, in contrast, I get 8 results, worldwide in WorldCat across all editions (here's the record)

That means that, probably, few libraries are going to have it anywhere else. And when I look at the publisher info, I can see why - it's published by ADF itself. That doesn't make it a bad book, but it does make it a niche book.
<snip>
However, all of this depends on some library with connections to your library having a copy in the first place. And for Ceisiwr Serith's book, that's not terribly likely (not impossible, but 8 results worldwide is not promising.)

On the plus side, Donal (and Starlight), Serith has a website, on which one can find excerpts from the book (updated, even), and info on how folks in the US can order it directly from him, as well as various other interesting things of varying degrees of relevance.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 02:40:24 pm »
On the plus side, Donal (and Starlight), Serith has a website, on which one can find excerpts from the book (updated, even), and info on how folks in the US can order it directly from him, as well as various other interesting things of varying degrees of relevance.

Sunflower

Oh, thanks Sunflower. Good link. I perused the site and will read more there as time permits. Good resource, though. Thanks again.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Contemplative/Christian/Eclectic
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 04:44:39 am »

Sunflower

Thank you so much for the link! That's very kind of you. :)
What you seek is seeking you. - Rumi

The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. - CG Jung

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 07:44:27 pm »
Yes, so I had a minor victory. My University Library has "In search of the Indo-Europeans: language, archaeology, and myth", by J.P. Mallory. I think I owe some fees from the last time I took on online Graduate Course at the University. So, there might be a problem getting a Library Card as an Alum until I pay off what I owe. Which is fine. I can just go up to the Library and read the book in the stacks at a desk. So, I had a good result.

I have not yet carved out some time to read the Mallory book. I should get to it pretty soon, as the Fall Semester starts next week and the University Library will be open later. I have also been looking at some materials and resources on other web sites. I am still in an early stage, but if I complete a book or finish some readings, I will maybe report back here or on another thread about my progress and what I am learning.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:46:35 pm by Donal2018 »

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 02:50:22 pm »
I have not yet carved out some time to read the Mallory book. I should get to it pretty soon, as the Fall Semester starts next week and the University Library will be open later. I have also been looking at some materials and resources on other web sites. I am still in an early stage, but if I complete a book or finish some readings, I will maybe report back here or on another thread about my progress and what I am learning.

So I hope to get to the Mallory book, "In Search Of The Indo-Europeans", after the holiday. I have a stack of books to read. Last night I read a few chapters of a book called "Create Your Own Religion" by Daniele Bolelli. I have "ChristoPaganism: An Inclusive Path", by Higginbotham on order from Interlibrary loan. I have a bunch of other books out also on Arthuriana, a book on the History of the Ninja (not really pagan or religion related, but interesting). So, the spiritual rebuild continues.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 08:38:18 am »

I'm afraid I've no advice for you (being pretty inexperienced and still formulating my first path myself), but just wanted to say I think this is brave of you and I wish you luck with it.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 02:17:28 pm »
I'm afraid I've no advice for you (being pretty inexperienced and still formulating my first path myself), but just wanted to say I think this is brave of you and I wish you luck with it.

Thanks for the kind words, Perdita. I have always appreciated your posts. I wish you luck on your path.

Tags: