Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Spiral Goddess and Spiral Lord  (Read 2389 times)

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Spiral Goddess and Spiral Lord
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »
This may sound like a really silly question but which Pagan path/religion worships the Spiral Goddess and the Spiral Lord as their primary deities?

Amaranth

• View Profile
Re: Spiral Goddess and Spiral Lord
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:12:49 am »
Quote from: Geroth;28307
This may sound like a really silly question but which Pagan path/religion worships the Spiral Goddess and the Spiral Lord as their primary deities?

Hello Geroth,

I looked up Spiral God and Goddess and this is what I first found.  I thought the descriptions of the statuary were pretty elegant.  You can have a look here

http://www.ritualmagick.net/statues.html

I haven't found exactly who they are attributed to yet.

Amaranth 8)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:02:25 am »
Quote from: Amaranth;31188
Hello Geroth,
I haven't found exactly who they are attributed to yet.

The images were created by Abby Willowroot. As far as I know, they aren't exclusive to any one path or tradition.

http://www.spiralgoddess.com/AboutArtist.html

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:57 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;28307

The spiral is universally accepted as a symbol for Goddess, and has been used since paleolithic times as such.

The Spiral goddess, as in the figurine, is a 20th century invention combining an ancient "venus" figure with a spiral on the abdomen to symbolize goddess. I had actually never heard of a spiral god before, until now when I googled it and found a male figurine with a  spiral on it's chest.

This is sort of weird to me as the spiral, being a goddess symbol, is feminine. Sort of like putting a set of horns on a female figure, which is not completely unknown but not normally associated with European goddess lore.

I think someone else pointed out that these are general and generic figures, not specific to any one religion or group.

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:47:24 am »
Quote from: Rowanfox;31510
The spiral is universally accepted as a symbol for Goddess, and has been used since paleolithic times as such.

The Spiral goddess, as in the figurine, is a 20th century invention combining an ancient "venus" figure with a spiral on the abdomen to symbolize goddess. I had actually never heard of a spiral god before, until now when I googled it and found a male figurine with a  spiral on it's chest.

This is sort of weird to me as the spiral, being a goddess symbol, is feminine. Sort of like putting a set of horns on a female figure, which is not completely unknown but not normally associated with European goddess lore.

I think someone else pointed out that these are general and generic figures, not specific to any one religion or group.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just found out about them not too long ago and wasnt really sure if they were part of a specific tradition or not. I actually think they look unique and actually appeal to me. :)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:31 am »
Quote from: Rowanfox;31510

Thank you, Rowanfox - that's been making me twitch for days, but I couldn't pull together a way to express it that wasn't five times as long and half as clear.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;31620
Thank you, Rowanfox - that's been making me twitch for days, but I couldn't pull together a way to express it that wasn't five times as long and half as clear.

Sunflower

I know that there are factions that like to lump God and Goddess into a neat little bundle but this kind of creepy, at least for me. Sort of like when you see a couple wearing the same outfit, his and hers matching jackets or something.

Tags: