collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: some questions about a shrine for Hermes and Persephone?  (Read 4583 times)

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
some questions about a shrine for Hermes and Persephone?
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »
I'm new here, but I have been exploring various aspects of paganism for some time.  I feel now however the time has come to make my decisions based on the feelings I have had.  I am uncertain however as to how to properly design a shrine and altar devoted to both my Deitys. (Hermes, and recently Persephone)
Hermes I have felt connected with for the longest time, and I have been worshiping him for a while now.   I recently have had an experience with Persephone, however, and have decided to redesign my altar in order to honor her as well. And I would appreciate any help in this matter.
Hermes seems okay with the idea so far, (nothing negative) but nothing really positive either.  And Persephone, well, it's  just that she has been trying to get my attention a lot lately, and I get the feeling I should listen.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:57:29 pm by RandallS »

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: some questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:15 pm »
Quote from: oldman;59545
And Persephone, well, it's  just that she has been trying to get my attention a lot lately, and I get the feeling I should listen.

I don't follow the Hellenic gods, but being American I've read boatloads of Classical Mythology.

How has Persephone been trying to get your attention? Sometimes the way gods communicate with people is a key aspect in understanding their message.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:56 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;59546
I don't follow the Hellenic gods, but being American I've read boatloads of Classical Mythology.

How has Persephone been trying to get your attention? Sometimes the way gods communicate with people is a key aspect in understanding their message.

To start with she didn't do anything too extreme. I just noticed an odd floral scent when there should not have been one present.  But recently she is being more persuasive, making it difficult to concentrate at times.  I do not want to seem like I am ignoring her, but I also do not want Hermes to be displeased with me.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
I'm new here, but I have been exploring various aspects of paganism for some time.  I feel now however the time has come to make my decisions based on the feelings I have had.  I am uncertain however as to how to properly design a shrine and altar devoted to both my Deitys. (Hermes, and recently Persephone)
Hermes I have felt connected with for the longest time, and I have been worshiping him for a while now.   I recently have had an experience with Persephone, however, and have decided to redesign my altar in order to honor her as well. And I would appreciate any help in this matter.
Hermes seems okay with the idea so far, (nothing negative) but nothing really positive either.  And Persephone, well, it's  just that she has been trying to get my attention a lot lately, and I get the feeling I should listen.

There's no real "right" answer to this. Altars vary from person to person, some keep theirs hidden, and other display them boldly. Some like it cluttered, and others keep it simple.

I am getting ready to set up my second one to my newest found Goddess. I like to keep things separate, its easier that way, and in my personal opinion more respectful to the individual gods/esses.

When I design mine, I include elements that I connect with the easiest. Candles, stones, little icons.
 EX.)  In honor of Gaia I have a large stone I found while walking along the river, upon which I set two candles to represent the current season. I have my sage set out there as well, and a quartz I found and fell in love with. I also have candles to represent the five elements.
I'm a simple altar kind of girl :)

I'm not familiar with Persephone or Hermes so I can't give you any help in that regards. Sorry.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
some questions about a shrine for Hermes and Persephone?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »
Quote from: oldman;59547
To start with she didn't do anything too extreme. I just noticed an odd floral scent when there should not have been one present.  But recently she is being more persuasive, making it difficult to concentrate at times.  I do not want to seem like I am ignoring her, but I also do not want Hermes to be displeased with me.

Have you considered asking Her what She wants?

You could also ask Hermes how He feels about sharing you and/or an altar.  Or you could set up separate altars.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:49 pm »

Well, mythologically speaking, you can safely worship both at the same altar. Hermes is one of the few Gods who can safely traverse the road to and out of Hades and Persephone quite enjoys His company. Hermes isn't a threat for Hades (or Demeter), so worshipping them together won't get you twapped upside the head by an angry spouse or mother.

As for actual practice; try to find items that represent Hermes and Persephone and put them on the same flat surface. It's polite to announce to Hermes that you will be opening your altar to Persephone and that His items might need to be replaced by some of Hers or that He may simply loose some space. Assure Him that you will not worship Him less than Her and you should be fine. Then invite Persephone with the items you have gathered for Her and you should be set.

Good luck! :)
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:21 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;59548
There's no real "right" answer to this. Altars vary from person to person, some keep theirs hidden, and other display them boldly. Some like it cluttered, and others keep it simple.

I am getting ready to set up my second one to my newest found Goddess. I like to keep things separate, its easier that way, and in my personal opinion more respectful to the individual gods/esses.

I'm not familiar with Persephone or Hermes so I can't give you any help in that regards. Sorry.

Thanks.  That was one of the things I was really unsure about. My ritual space is a nice 10x12 ft room so I have plenty of space for seperate altars.  I was unsure about if this was necessary. Thanks for clarifying that.

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;59550
Well, mythologically speaking, you can safely worship both at the same altar. Hermes is one of the few Gods who can safely traverse the road to and out of Hades and Persephone quite enjoys His company. Hermes isn't a threat for Hades (or Demeter), so worshipping them together won't get you twapped upside the head by an angry spouse or mother.

As for actual practice; try to find items that represent Hermes and Persephone and put them on the same flat surface. It's polite to announce to Hermes that you will be opening your altar to Persephone and that His items might need to be replaced by some of Hers or that He may simply loose some space. Assure Him that you will not worship Him less than Her and you should be fine. Then invite Persephone with the items you have gathered for Her and you should be set.

Good luck! :)

Okay :) Thanks for taking the time to eplain how to go about it in detail.
I will follow your advice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:01:51 pm by oldman »

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »
Quote from: oldman;59553
Okay :) Thanks for taking the time to eplain how to go about it in detail.
I will follow your advice.

Persephone's fabulous. I've worked with her on and off in the past, usually reserving the spring and autumn equinoxes for her worship. I see them as celebrations of her ascent from and descent to the Underworld, respectively - this is personal UPG, and I in no way resemble a Hellenic reconstructionist, just so you know. I'm in the middle of making dinner right now so I'll type up a longer response later about my experiences with Persephone.

Echoing what others have said - Hermes and Persephone don't have any mythological basis for fighting (that I know of) so a shared worship space with them shouldn't be an issue. Still, be sure to ask first and stay aware of any feedback you might be getting. Even if the two deities get along, they may want to approach you on an individual basis. Also, I personally haven't worked with Hermes but several friends have, and he's known for his sense of humor. One of my friends routinely offers terrible puns to him, and apparently he loves it. Expect the unexpected when he's around!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:29:30 pm by Sage »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:47 am »
Quote from: Sage;59557
Persephone's fabulous. I've worked with her on and off in the past, usually reserving the spring and autumn equinoxes for her worship. I see them as celebrations of her ascent from and descent to the Underworld, respectively - this is personal UPG, and I in no way resemble a Hellenic reconstructionist, just so you know. I'm in the middle of making dinner right now so I'll type up a longer response later about my experiences with Persephone.

Echoing what others have said - Hermes and Persephone don't have any mythological basis for fighting (that I know of) so a shared worship space with them shouldn't be an issue. Still, be sure to ask first and stay aware of any feedback you might be getting. Even if the two deities get along, they may want to approach you on an individual basis. Also, I personally haven't worked with Hermes but several friends have, and he's known for his sense of humor. One of my friends routinely offers terrible puns to him, and apparently he loves it. Expect the unexpected when he's around!

Thanks, and I have to agree, Hermes has a great sense of humor.  
As to why I worship him, well he sort of chose me.
Recently the same has happened with Persephone.  
So far Hermes is okay with me worshiping Persephone as well.   The feeling I get is that Hermes understands Persephone is asking for my attention, and so long as that does not interfere with the time I have devoted to him, it is fine.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: some questions about a shrine for Hermes and Persephone?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:20:42 am »

A few Hermes devotees reported his request and love for feathers and pennies on His altar space- mine for Him includes a pidgeon feather, a wood tortoise and old coins.

As for Persephone, I've no personal experience but I would think a pomegranate representation of some kind and narcissus or crocus flowers would be appropriate 'decorations' ...
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:34:12 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;59688
A few Hermes devotees reported his request and love for feathers and pennies on His altar space- mine for Him includes a pidgeon feather, a wood tortoise and old coins.

As for Persephone, I've no personal experience but I would think a pomegranate representation of some kind and narcissus or crocus flowers would be appropriate 'decorations' ...

Thank you.  
I will be offering him pennies before I go to bed (shortly).  I will have to pay more attention during my walks to look for feathers though.

I have statues of Hermes, but I have been unable to locate one of Persephone.  Does anyone know where I might be able to aquire one?  and in the meantime I am using a printed image of her I found online.  She understands that I am trying, but I get the feeling she wants more.
I took your suggestion and offered her a Pomegranate, which she appreciated, though.  I feel she understands I'm still learning, and appreciates the effort, but is not really satisfied with just the printed image.  which is not surprising considering I have four Hermes statues.  One on the altar, and three more as decorations within my shrine.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:55 am »
Quote from: oldman;60006
Thank you.  
I will be offering him pennies before I go to bed (shortly).  I will have to pay more attention during my walks to look for feathers though.

I have statues of Hermes, but I have been unable to locate one of Persephone.  Does anyone know where I might be able to aquire one?  and in the meantime I am using a printed image of her I found online.  She understands that I am trying, but I get the feeling she wants more.
I took your suggestion and offered her a Pomegranate, which she appreciated, though.  I feel she understands I'm still learning, and appreciates the effort, but is not really satisfied with just the printed image.  which is not surprising considering I have four Hermes statues.  One on the altar, and three more as decorations within my shrine.

This is not where I usually get my sacred statues but it's the only place where I remember seeing something like a Persephone statue: http://www.goddessgift.net/page128.html

Tough, the one piece I would reccommend about the above link is the Persephone/Hades plaque. I know it's a reproduction -very precise at that- of plaque they found at Persephone's sanctuary of Locri Epizefiri.
If nothing of the above appeals you or it is out  of your badget, you might consider finding figurines that represent for you Her dual aspects of Queen Of Underworld and Kore.
For exemple this figurine always made me to think of Persephone in Her maiden of Spring aspect, even if it isn't Persephone in a strict sense:   http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-6420-tao-of-goddess-statue-be-sheila-wolk.aspx

I also rec the 'Mysteries Of Demeter' book by Jennifer Reif because it's split in two sections, one for Demeter and one for Persephone and includes a lot of studies/ rituals based on constructing a wheel of year around the cult of Demeter and Persephone.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:16:08 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;60008
This is not where I usually get my sacred statues but it's the only place where I remember seeing something like a Persephone statue: http://www.goddessgift.net/page128.html

Tough, the one piece I would reccommend about the above link is the Persephone/Hades plaque. I know it's a reproduction -very precise at that- of plaque they found at Persephone's sanctuary of Locri Epizefiri.
If nothing of the above appeals you or it is out  of your badget, you might consider finding figurines that represent for you Her dual aspects of Queen Of Underworld and Kore.
For exemple this figurine always made me to think of Persephone in Her maiden of Spring aspect, even if it isn't Persephone in a strict sense:   http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-6420-tao-of-goddess-statue-be-sheila-wolk.aspx

I also rec the 'Mysteries Of Demeter' book by Jennifer Reif because it's split in two sections, one for Demeter and one for Persephone and includes a lot of studies/ rituals based on constructing a wheel of year around the cult of Demeter and Persephone.

Thank you.  That is exactly what I was looking for, and reasonably priced too. :)
I will also get the book you suggested, as it sounds like an interesting read, with some good much needed information too. :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:01 am »
Quote from: oldman;60010
Thank you.  That is exactly what I was looking for, and reasonably priced too. :)
I will also get the book you suggested, as it sounds like an interesting read, with some good much needed information too. :)

You are welcome.Happy building of your sacred space. :)
Icon by jewelotus

Tags: