Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Signs from dieties, how to recognize and where to look  (Read 2061 times)

LuciusW

• View Profile
  • Religion: Lutheran
Signs from dieties, how to recognize and where to look
« on: November 21, 2018, 04:33:02 pm »
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to pagan practice and I'm feel myself being pulled in the direction of Wicca. My main question for the group is how to tell when dieties are sending you signs and in what facet  do they reach out to you?

In the past few weeks I have seen an increased amount of deer in my area (central Pennsylvania). It's the middle of hunting seasons around me so I know that they are on the move but my sightings don't feel like a normal movement.

The other night I was driving home from work in a bad snow storm and I started to verbally pray to the good and goddess to guide my hands, head and heart for safe travel and in that moment I saw three doe cross in front of me. Then again about 3 weeks back I was driving into work and within I would say a mile to two miles I saw to buck cross with one stopping and looking at me.

I know this has the potential to be a sign but sometimes I'm to blinded to see any specific pattern or determine if what I'm seeing is a pattern.

Can any of you help me understand all of this?

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Signs from dieties, how to recognize and where to look
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 07:47:05 am »
I'm fairly new to pagan practice and I'm feel myself being pulled in the direction of Wicca. My main question for the group is how to tell when dieties are sending you signs and in what facet  do they reach out to you?

In the past few weeks I have seen an increased amount of deer in my area (central Pennsylvania). It's the middle of hunting seasons around me so I know that they are on the move but my sightings don't feel like a normal movement.

If you are seeing something over and over and over again and it feels suspiciously like someone is trying to get your attention; do some research. The Horned God might be likely to reach out with deer, start there? I just typed "deity associated with deer" into the Great and Mighty Google Machine and got a few god hits right off the bat :) A lot are "_____ of the Hunt" which is kinda cool.

Just scroll through and read until something feels right, or sounds familiar when you haven't heard it before, or even just has something you associate with. The connection and/or communication with your deity is often as mundane as "I saw it and liked it" or a specific thing showing up in dreams all the time or even crazy amounts of coincidence. Communication from them could even come from inside yourself, you are part of the Divine after all.

My advice is to trust your instincts and treat the deer as a sign. Not every message from a god is suited for a movies script :) I looked for big signs like that for years, ignoring the smaller more everyday signs that were right in front of me. Praying for some spiritual "awakening" where everything would suddenly fit together and whatever deity it was would communicate in clear messages either through mental images or signs in the real world. In fictional literature that is exactly what would have happened, instead I burnt myself and my faith out.

tl;dr
Every deity reaches out in different ways, the best thing to do is research. Don't put a lot of weight on finding some big Practical Magic type sign, look for the Divine in the Mundane. Like your deer sightings during this time where you are searching. :)

LuciusW

• View Profile
  • Religion: Lutheran
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:57:59 pm »
If you are seeing something over and over and over again and it feels suspiciously like someone is trying to get your attention; do some research. The Horned God might be likely to reach out with deer, start there? I just typed "deity associated with deer" into the Great and Mighty Google Machine and got a few god hits right off the bat :) A lot are "_____ of the Hunt" which is kinda cool.

Just scroll through and read until something feels right, or sounds familiar when you haven't heard it before, or even just has something you associate with. The connection and/or communication with your deity is often as mundane as "I saw it and liked it" or a specific thing showing up in dreams all the time or even crazy amounts of coincidence. Communication from them could even come from inside yourself, you are part of the Divine after all.

My advice is to trust your instincts and treat the deer as a sign. Not every message from a god is suited for a movies script :) I looked for big signs like that for years, ignoring the smaller more everyday signs that were right in front of me. Praying for some spiritual "awakening" where everything would suddenly fit together and whatever deity it was would communicate in clear messages either through mental images or signs in the real world. In fictional literature that is exactly what would have happened, instead I burnt myself and my faith out.

tl;dr
Every deity reaches out in different ways, the best thing to do is research. Don't put a lot of weight on finding some big Practical Magic type sign, look for the Divine in the Mundane. Like your deer sightings during this time where you are searching. :)

Thank you for the advice.
I will keep every thing you said in mind.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:42:28 pm »
My main question for the group is how to tell when dieties are sending you signs and in what facet  do they reach out to you?
When our mind is clouded, the Gods send us moments of clarity. That clarity is their reach out. In my opinion  :)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:01:19 pm »
When our mind is clouded, the Gods send us moments of clarity. That clarity is their reach out. In my opinion  :)

Not a bad way to look at it. For an illustration from the physical realm: I used to drive 18-wheelers. When I was going to school, I was taught a night-driving trick, especially for narrow 2-lane roads and such which might be a bit hard to follow. You don't want to leave your high beams on all the time because it might blind oncoming traffic and cause an accident. However, if you don't see a bend or jog in the road in time to react, particularly when driving a tractor-trailer, you might also cause an even more serious accident. But what you can do is "flash" your high beams on for a second, or less...your brain takes a "snapshot" of what you see, and it helps you to negotiate that tight entrance to that 2-lane bridge even after your lights are back on low beams.

Those of us who live in this world probably couldn't deal with the "high beams" of divine knowledge without being blinded to more immediate concerns. But now and then someone out there may give us a "flash" of what lies ahead, in the hopes that we then will be able to successfully negotiate it.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:30:26 pm »
Can any of you help me understand all of this?

Have a look at Evaluating Your Gnosis.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: