collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Seeking Advice and Information  (Read 646 times)

Argent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2016
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Seeking Advice and Information
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
Hello,

I apologize for the vague title, I'm just unsure how to label what I'm looking for. I've been interested in Paganism for around eight years and have done research off and on throughout that time. Despite this I still consider myself incredibly new and would love any guidance available. I've always been afraid of being judged by the community for my (up to now lack of) practices and joining this forum is my first major step.

I'm 24 years old and since around 2010-2011 have been using pagan as a religious descriptor. I've always been drawn to Bast and Anubis, but it was only recently I really considered doing anything other than passively following them. I had a major wake up call in my life that I won't go into here, but it has prompted me to do more.

My first questions are these: What advice would you give to someone who wants to work with Bast and Anubis? What should I look for when trying to contact them to know what's real versus what is my own thoughts? Are there any items, scents, offerings, etc that they are especially fond of? I've seen a lot about Bast and perfumes, but I've found little for Anubis.

I have attempted to contact them once thus far. While doing so I had an image of a winged serpent flash across my vision, which led me to Wadjet. Before that I was entirely unfamiliar with her so my only assumption is that either Bast and Anubis directed me to her or that she herself contacted me. Does this seem plausible? There doesn't seem to be much information on her so I'm interested in hearing anything I can about her.

On a slightly different note I'm wondering how to revise what I tell my Pagan friends about my path. I've looked into Kemeticism, but it seems much more detailed and structured than my practices are currently or probably ever will be. I've also recently become aware of the term Religious Witchcraft, so perhaps Religious Witchcraft with an Egyptian focus? I know the wording is less important than the practices, but it would still be nice to help with conversations.

-Argent

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4856
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 737
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Seeking Advice and Information
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:39:21 am »
Quote from: Argent;191662
My first questions are these: What advice would you give to someone who wants to work with Bast and Anubis? What should I look for when trying to contact them to know what's real versus what is my own thoughts? Are there any items, scents, offerings, etc that they are especially fond of? I've seen a lot about Bast and perfumes, but I've found little for Anubis.


Those two gods have a reputation in the Kemetic community for being the doorkeepers - powers who find interested people and show them in.  This may mean they don't stick around when you're through the door, so don't be surprised or hurt if that's the case.  It doesn't mean that they will fade out, but I wanted to prepare you for the possibility.

For evaluating what's "real" and not, I can't top what I and other people said in the Evaluating Your Gnosis thread, so I'll just point you there.

All of the Egyptian gods thrive on very basic offerings:  bread, water, light, and incense.  You are welcome to go beyond that if you like, or if you have impulses towards specific things.  When you have made a food offering, give the god time to enjoy it, and then eat it yourself; it is a sort of holy communion (phrase chosen specifically) that can bring you closer to your god.

The best resource out there that I'm aware of for veneration of Anup and other jackal gods is Per Sabu.

Quote
I have attempted to contact them once thus far. While doing so I had an image of a winged serpent flash across my vision, which led me to Wadjet. Before that I was entirely unfamiliar with her so my only assumption is that either Bast and Anubis directed me to her or that she herself contacted me. Does this seem plausible? There doesn't seem to be much information on her so I'm interested in hearing anything I can about her.


Wadjet is best known as the protector of the king (the snake on the forehead of the pharaoh in his fancy hats).  The serpent/winged serpent is also a form that can be taken by any of the goddesses with the title Eye of Ra (which includes Bast), and a number of other powers.  Egyptian gods are tricksy that way.

Quote
On a slightly different note I'm wondering how to revise what I tell my Pagan friends about my path. I've looked into Kemeticism, but it seems much more detailed and structured than my practices are currently or probably ever will be. I've also recently become aware of the term Religious Witchcraft, so perhaps Religious Witchcraft with an Egyptian focus? I know the wording is less important than the practices, but it would still be nice to help with conversations.

 
If you're interested in that - Tameran witchcraft is one of the words for it in specific - I highly recommend Ellen Cannon Reed's Circle of Isis as a resource.  It's the book for her tradition of Isian Craft, and unlike most modern pagan books I (as a Kemetic) actually recognise the gods in it, including the ones who are commonly misinterpreted.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Argent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2016
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Advice and Information
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191801
Those two gods have a reputation in the Kemetic community for being the doorkeepers - powers who find interested people and show them in.  This may mean they don't stick around when you're through the door, so don't be surprised or hurt if that's the case.  It doesn't mean that they will fade out, but I wanted to prepare you for the possibility.


Thank you for letting me know. I likely would have been very hurt if they disappeared without notice. I hope they stay, but at least now I know they might not.

Quote from: Darkhawk;191801
All of the Egyptian gods thrive on very basic offerings:  bread, water, light, and incense.  You are welcome to go beyond that if you like, or if you have impulses towards specific things.  When you have made a food offering, give the god time to enjoy it, and then eat it yourself; it is a sort of holy communion (phrase chosen specifically) that can bring you closer to your god.


Would they be offended if I don't currently have an alter space? I have some health issues that have been getting in my way and currently my apartment is a grand wreck. Things are starting to resolve so my husband and I have been working on getting things sorted, but for the moment I just don't have anywhere for one.

I have plans to turn a large closet into a secluded alter space to keep Them (and me) away from the noise of the house and keep my pets from knocking everything over. Is it a bad idea to have Them tucked away like that? There's also the problem that my husband is atheist and thinks every religion is useless, so I can't really have too much around the house lest it start something between us. Don't get me wrong, he knows I'm pagan and has for a long time. He just thinks it's all in my head.

Quote from: Darkhawk;191801
The best resource out there that I'm aware of for veneration of Anup and other jackal gods is Per Sabu.


Excellent! I'll read through this as soon as I can!

Quote from: Darkhawk;191801
Wadjet is best known as the protector of the king (the snake on the forehead of the pharaoh in his fancy hats).  The serpent/winged serpent is also a form that can be taken by any of the goddesses with the title Eye of Ra (which includes Bast), and a number of other powers.  Egyptian gods are tricksy that way.


Ah, so it might not have been Wadjet at all. I'm going to need to spend a lot more time with them to find what that truly meant. Reading through the thread on Gnosis should give me a good base to work from in determining what is actual contact. That will make it much easier to follow this path.

Quote from: Darkhawk;191801
If you're interested in that - Tameran witchcraft is one of the words for it in specific - I highly recommend Ellen Cannon Reed's Circle of Isis as a resource.  It's the book for her tradition of Isian Craft, and unlike most modern pagan books I (as a Kemetic) actually recognise the gods in it, including the ones who are commonly misinterpreted.


I'll make that my next purchase on my book list. I'm trying to do as much research as I can so it sounds like an excellent next step for me.

Thank you so much for the response, I truly appreciate it.

-Argent

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4856
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 737
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Seeking Advice and Information
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »
Quote from: Argent;191810
Would they be offended if I don't currently have an alter space?


My experience has been that the netjeru (Egyptian gods) are fairly easygoing about such things, really.  And honestly, if you're having a glass of water, you can take a moment and offer a thought to the gods, or you can make a prayer over a meal, or any of a number of other things.

Quote
I have plans to turn a large closet into a secluded alter space to keep Them (and me) away from the noise of the house and keep my pets from knocking everything over. Is it a bad idea to have Them tucked away like that?


Actually!  In ancient temples the icons of the gods resided in cabinets with closeable doors, in the hidden windowless core of the building!  You're good.

Quote
There's also the problem that my husband is atheist and thinks every religion is useless, so I can't really have too much around the house lest it start something between us. Don't get me wrong, he knows I'm pagan and has for a long time. He just thinks it's all in my head.


That sounds like a really tough situation.  I'm sorry.

Quote
Ah, so it might not have been Wadjet at all. I'm going to need to spend a lot more time with them to find what that truly meant. Reading through the thread on Gnosis should give me a good base to work from in determining what is actual contact. That will make it much easier to follow this path.


Belatedly, a book for learning more about the serpent-form power is Hathor Rising: The Power of the Goddess in Ancient Egypt by Alison Roberts.

Quote
Thank you so much for the response, I truly appreciate it.

 
Glad to help!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
2662 Views
Last post May 16, 2014, 11:41:39 am
by Airelinn
1 Replies
642 Views
Last post November 14, 2014, 01:10:39 am
by Mountain Cat
1 Replies
2441 Views
Last post November 05, 2015, 09:02:17 pm
by Faemon
12 Replies
1497 Views
Last post July 28, 2016, 11:46:07 pm
by Kitta
12 Replies
904 Views
Last post February 12, 2019, 11:41:19 am
by arete

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall