Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Quick Questions about Wicca  (Read 1668 times)

PaganGeek

• View Profile
Quick Questions about Wicca
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
Well, I've heard from some people that Wicca has it's own set of Gods and Goddesses to follow. I was wondering if one could follow a different god/goddess, like Celtic ones?

Also, I've heard many different things about Solitary witches, for instance that "they aren't real wiccans." What are your opinions?

One last thing: I live in a Christian household. They don't go to church, but I know my mother is not happy with me not believing in Christianity, so I want to keep my practices a secret. What things can I do without my parents knowing?

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Quick Questions about Wicca
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
Quote from: PaganGeek;103851
Well, I've heard from some people that Wicca has it's own set of Gods and Goddesses to follow. I was wondering if one could follow a different god/goddess, like Celtic ones?

Also, I've heard many different things about Solitary witches, for instance that "they aren't real wiccans." What are your opinions?

One last thing: I live in a Christian household. They don't go to church, but I know my mother is not happy with me not believing in Christianity, so I want to keep my practices a secret. What things can I do without my parents knowing?

As far as I'm aware Traditional Wicca does, but I've heard of many who worship other gods alongside it :)

In terms of solitary witches, not everyone would consider them 'real wiccans', it really depends on whether you mean in the traditional sense or not. It's usually something which depends on the person. Also there are many traditional wiccans who are solitary by choice or just because there is no coven nearby to them :)
Witches aren't all Wiccan, Wicca is a religion in itself that involves witchcraft but there are many non-wiccan witches. :)

While I don't advocate keeping secrets (I was in your position several years ago myself) maybe you could use this time to research and read before you begin to practice? Then you have a good strong base for the future, and also to make sure it's really suited to you :)
If you feel the need to have an altar, a simple candle and perhaps a nice plant or a few seashells would work just as well as an elaborate set-up with loads of tools. :) It wouldn't look suspicious either to most :)
Maybe you could practice meditation? You could always pray too, pray in your head and who will know? :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:23:42 am »

Yes Wicca has its own set of deities referred to by certain names, but Wicca is an orthopraxic system where interpretation of the divine is personal, therefore if you want to worship Celtic deities or connect with the 'Goddess' through that current that's entirely up to you.

Anybody can be a witch, but that argument occurs because (Traditional)Wiccan practice is an initiatory mystery tradition where initiation is required as one of its core practices. The term 'Wicca' (Eclectic, Solitary, Neo)has been adopted as a catchphrase by many to stand for many Pagan Witchcraft traditions, however it isn't an orthodox religion. It's defined by your practices, and not what you 'believe.'

That can be problematic for those that lack some form of independence. As long as you have some amount of privacy, either at home, or somewhere else, you should be able to do as you please. Wiccan practises don't have to be very elaborate at all. They can be fairly simple.
Semper Fidelis

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:30:36 am »

What Micheál said.  If you choose to follow deities of your choice within a Wiccan framework you can certainly do so.  

In my own experience the best approach was just to not bring it up.  Let it be a topic you just don't discuss.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:48:22 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;103871
In my own experience the best approach was just to not bring it up.  Let it be a topic you just don't discuss.

Aye, this is how I do things when it comes to my family (especially my Christian father). At the end of the day, your beliefs are yours :) When you move out you can do whatever you wish in terms of spirituality- I waited until I moved to college to begin a regular practice and even until then to set up an altar (I waited a good few years too!). :)
They don't need to be broadcasted to all for them to be 'legitimate'. ;) :)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quick Questions about Wicca
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »

I agree with most everything said here. Actually the arguments against being a solitary or eclectic wiccan are partly the reason I am not wiccan. I got away from Christianity for being told how to believe, only one of many reasons I left Christianity though.

On the part of secrecy,  I have very limited people who know. I live in a city with a population less than 30k in the bible belt. For the most part people here are small minded. My stepfather would probably call it horse shit,  he's not very religious but I'm not sure where he stands on this but he doesn't believe in demons, ghosts, etc.  My brother I'm not sure about. My sister is ok with it. My husband tolerates it. My mother would have a cow. She is a jehovaha witness. She believes watching scary movies invites demons in your home. Everything bad,  all addictions,  etc are all because of demons. She will probably never know. I understand your need for secrecy but there needs to be someone you can talk to in person that you trust. Trust me,  it's hard if you don't. You always feel a bursting need to tell someone something and when you can't, the frustration builds. But it also has to be someone who will not talk down to you about it or make fun of you or spend their time trying to convince you that you are wrong. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:42:19 pm by Aspiria »

PaganGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:29:04 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;103876
Just my opinion.

Well thank you all for your opinions, they really have helped me. Also, what type of candle would I need to set up an alter? I have yankee candle candles, would those work for the time being?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »
Quote from: PaganGeek;103950
Well thank you all for your opinions, they really have helped me. Also, what type of candle would I need to set up an alter? I have yankee candle candles, would those work for the time being?

That's going to depend on your practice, but in general, the better candles for altar use are either strongly neutral (white or neutral colours, unscented) or very specifically chosen for their properties.

In general, I'd look for better long-term solutions than Yankee Candles for a couple of reasons. Probably most importantly, the colours and scents may not line up with what you want for your ritual work. (And if you want to have more than one candle going at once, you may find the scents clash or become overwhelming.)

Beyond that, too, there's a question of materials: a number of people (me included) prefer beeswax for magical or ritual work. It's more expensive, but it's also got very clear magical associations with useful things, which is not as true of the cheap petroleum wax, or soy wax (which is probably a better choice for people who don't want to use beeswax for reasons of cost or vegetarian/vegan commitments.)

I tend not to light candles very often (I have a cat. Enough said.) so a single set of votives + a pillar candle can easily last me six months.

All of that said, if what you want is a candle to focus your attention, say, for meditation, then using something that's pleasing to you (and if relevant, acceptable to any Gods or other beings you're inviting when you do it) is probably fine, especially if you can pick scents that are less overwhelmingly "LOOK IT IS A SCENTED CANDLE"

(From what you've said, I suspect that this may not be helpful to you directly, but just in case it's useful to someone else reading the thread: You can get unscented tealights very inexpensively at a number of places (Ikea, Pier One, various online sources), grocery stores in places with a larger Hispanic or African-American community often have 7 day candles inexpensively (those are the ones in the big glass jars), or your grocery store may have some very neutral unscented votives or pillar candles, too. There are now LED candles that can work very effectively if you want the light source, but for some reason want to avoid an open flame.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:44 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;103954
... grocery stores in places with a larger Hispanic or African-American community often have 7 day candles inexpensively ...

Yeah, heavy Hispanic population here, and we have the 7 day candles in just about every store-- about $2 each.  In fact I need to go get one for tonight.  
You can do ritual tools on the cheap if you love to improvise.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »

Yankee candles would be grand I think if you wanted a candle and have those on hand but normally I would use inexpensive unscented tea-lights or small white pillars :) You can get nice holders for them too :)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »

When I was a teenager, we used cheap-ass dollar store candles. (And the grossest, fakest, most foul smelling oils ever concocted, blech.) You can get them in assorted colours, although they do tend to burn fast and can be messy.

I'm going to second Jenett's suggestion of white tealights or 7-day candles if you're strapped for cash. Where I live we don't have a large Hispanic community, but every dollar store ever seems to have them anyway and they are cheap and last a nice long time. You can also paste images to the glass with a glue stick if you like.

That all said, you can always work with what you've got.

Tags: