collapse

Author Topic: Celtic: Practicing while on anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medication  (Read 4158 times)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Witch (Very Wiccan-based)
Practicing while on anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medication
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:19:30 am »
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

I've decided to transition my eclectic path to a Celtic one and I'm beginning by doing as much studying as possible.
I'm reading multiple books on Celtic mythology, the Avalonian tradition, the path of the Druid, as well as a few other Celtic books on history and general practice.

One book in particular that I'm reading, "Magic of the Celtic Otherworld: Irish History, Lore & Rituals" specifically states that one can not practice, or will have no growth in their practice, if they are on medication.
I feel so downtrodden.

If I go off my medications I CAN feel psychic energy better and visualize more clearly. I also have daily crying fits, panic attacks, and fits of paranoid delusion that someone is after me.

My spirituality means so much to me that I'm tempted to go off my medication...
But if I do that I'll loose myself again. I'll likely loose my job as well.

I just don't know what to do and would love the thoughts and opinions of you lovely folk.
Thank you so much
Take Care!
"There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing while on anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medication
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:39:02 am »
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

I've decided to transition my eclectic path to a Celtic one and I'm beginning by doing as much studying as possible.
I'm reading multiple books on Celtic mythology, the Avalonian tradition, the path of the Druid, as well as a few other Celtic books on history and general practice.

One book in particular that I'm reading, "Magic of the Celtic Otherworld: Irish History, Lore & Rituals" specifically states that one can not practice, or will have no growth in their practice, if they are on medication.
I feel so downtrodden.

If I go off my medications I CAN feel psychic energy better and visualize more clearly. I also have daily crying fits, panic attacks, and fits of paranoid delusion that someone is after me.

But if I do that I'll loose myself again. I'll likely loose my job as well.

I just don't know what to do and would love the thoughts and opinions of you lovely folk.
Thank you so much
Take Care!
Stay on your meds. Please.

I say this as someone who is also heavily medicated. I too am more "open" without certain meds, but I find that this openness just isn't worth it. I also find that people who sneer at those of us who need medication aren't the best informed about the topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:36:43 pm »
Stay on your meds. Please.

I say this as someone who is also heavily medicated. I too am more "open" without certain meds, but I find that this openness just isn't worth it. I also find that people who sneer at those of us who need medication aren't the best informed about the topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thank you very much <3
I spoke with my husband last night and he asked me to stay on them as well.
I guess I'll just have to try and see what I'm capable of with the medication.

Thanks again  :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:42:11 pm »

There's a lot of that sort of horrible out there. (Though, I note, that book is from 2005, and a lot of people have gotten more aware of the realities of mental health meds and other medication issues in the past 14 years...)

The reality is that there are a lot of variables at play, and you're the person with the most expertise in figuring out how that works for you.

(But, at the same time, if working with other people, they may get to set their own boundaries about what they're okay dealing with - just like they might about any number of other things not related to mental health or meds. Some groups or people do have limits around medication, but many don't.) 

I don't have mental health issues (except a couple that have been set up by meds. weirdly...) but I do have medical issues that affect my practice, and require medication. What I do is focus on doing the stuff I need to do to keep my life going (in my case, that means working, have enough energy for keeping house and home working for me, etc.) and then design the ritual practice from there.

When I add a new ritual practice or technique, I do it in a very controlled setting first, and with lots of safeguards, and only gradually build it out from there. Basically, I aim to change one variable at a time: adding a new thing, longer duration, greater intensity, larger risk. That helps me figure out where any issues might be before they get huge. 

I wrote a post up for my website last summer, talking about the mental health implications for practice, and specific practices that might be more of a concern for particular conditions (and some ideas on how to adjust for that), the same way that you might make adjustments for physical practices if you had specific physical limitations. (I am never going to do the 'dance wildly around a bonfire for hours to raise energy', y'know?)

All of that said, there may also be combinations of practices that are either going to be much more difficult to reach, or never be a viable option for you. That's okay! There's usually other options, and people with experience can help you figure out what they might be.

(I've had serious issues with guided meditation since getting a hypothyroid diagnosis, even though I'm reasonably stable on meds. Friends told me that that might happen, so I didn't panic, and over a period of years, parts of it have gotten enough easier I can do the things I really care about. But I apparently needed nearly 5 years of not pushing at it to let my brain figure out how to do that thing with the current physical reality...)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »
But if I do that I'll loose myself again.
Your health is more important. You shouldn't stop the medication. your health is more valuable than spirituality. I also take medication and it helps me.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 02:41:23 pm »

I personally am not on any kind of medication (beyond allergy pills and over the counter pain meds), but I really dislike when books/people suggest that someone's medication or health status means they shouldn't be practicing their faith.

I agree with what other people have said:  your medication might change how you experience things, and you may have to make adjustments.  But, on a lesser level, that is true about so many other things that rarely get listed as prohibitions to practice.

I have days, especially at certain points in my personal cycle, where it's a struggle to do anything.  I have done ritual on those days, and it looks very different from what I might do on a normal day.  Sometimes, it means me sitting down, or visualizing a ritual instead of going through all the physical motions.

No book's author knows YOU.  They can't suggest anything about how you should or should not handle your own health.  You have to start with what is right for you, and go from there.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:03 pm »
There's a lot of that sort of horrible out there. (Though, I note, that book is from 2005, and a lot of people have gotten more aware of the realities of mental health meds and other medication issues in the past 14 years...)

The reality is that there are a lot of variables at play, and you're the person with the most expertise in figuring out how that works for you.

(But, at the same time, if working with other people, they may get to set their own boundaries about what they're okay dealing with - just like they might about any number of other things not related to mental health or meds. Some groups or people do have limits around medication, but many don't.) 

I don't have mental health issues (except a couple that have been set up by meds. weirdly...) but I do have medical issues that affect my practice, and require medication. What I do is focus on doing the stuff I need to do to keep my life going (in my case, that means working, have enough energy for keeping house and home working for me, etc.) and then design the ritual practice from there.

When I add a new ritual practice or technique, I do it in a very controlled setting first, and with lots of safeguards, and only gradually build it out from there. Basically, I aim to change one variable at a time: adding a new thing, longer duration, greater intensity, larger risk. That helps me figure out where any issues might be before they get huge. 

I wrote a post up for my website last summer, talking about the mental health implications for practice, and specific practices that might be more of a concern for particular conditions (and some ideas on how to adjust for that), the same way that you might make adjustments for physical practices if you had specific physical limitations. (I am never going to do the 'dance wildly around a bonfire for hours to raise energy', y'know?)

All of that said, there may also be combinations of practices that are either going to be much more difficult to reach, or never be a viable option for you. That's okay! There's usually other options, and people with experience can help you figure out what they might be.

(I've had serious issues with guided meditation since getting a hypothyroid diagnosis, even though I'm reasonably stable on meds. Friends told me that that might happen, so I didn't panic, and over a period of years, parts of it have gotten enough easier I can do the things I really care about. But I apparently needed nearly 5 years of not pushing at it to let my brain figure out how to do that thing with the current physical reality...)

Thank you so much.
It's true that the opinions on mental health from 2005-2018 have changed dramatically. I'm hoping that I'm still able to practice in the way I long to.

I really liked your blog post on mental health! Thank you for sharing that :) Everything you said is very true and very good to keep in mind.

If being medicated limits my practice I suppose I need to put the issues of the mundane world first. It is where we live, after all.
I really appreciate you saying that it's okay if I can't get as far as others. I really needed to hear that <3

Thank you
Take care :)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »
Your health is more important. You shouldn't stop the medication. your health is more valuable than spirituality. I also take medication and it helps me.
Thank you.
I've decided not to stop my medication :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 02:50:50 pm »
I really appreciate you saying that it's okay if I can't get as far as others. I really needed to hear that <3

Oh, I'd go even stronger than that. We all have different ways of practice, and people are always going to have some things they do, and some things they don't do (or can't do). No one can learn every possible method, or practice every possible practice. Your body and mind may have different limits than someone else's (like mine does) but that can often help us narrow down the choices about what we do and how we approach it more easily.

I bet you'll find stuff you're amazing at, and can do well, as you learn more and deepen your practice. It's not a competition about 'how far' or comparing yourself to others. It's about what it does for you, and whether your practice helps celebrate the good times and gets you through the hard times. Everything else is a bonus.

Even in group work, there's a lot of benefit in people having different approaches and strengths (so long as people can do the key things that bring the group together, or figure out solutions that work for everyone.)

And I'm glad the article helped!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »
I personally am not on any kind of medication (beyond allergy pills and over the counter pain meds), but I really dislike when books/people suggest that someone's medication or health status means they shouldn't be practicing their faith.

I agree with what other people have said:  your medication might change how you experience things, and you may have to make adjustments.  But, on a lesser level, that is true about so many other things that rarely get listed as prohibitions to practice.

I have days, especially at certain points in my personal cycle, where it's a struggle to do anything.  I have done ritual on those days, and it looks very different from what I might do on a normal day.  Sometimes, it means me sitting down, or visualizing a ritual instead of going through all the physical motions.

No book's author knows YOU.  They can't suggest anything about how you should or should not handle your own health.  You have to start with what is right for you, and go from there.
Thank you so much
I really needed to hear that it's okay to be medicated.
I really appreciate your words of encouragement.
Just because an author says I can't doesn't mean I shouldn't try :)

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 03:24:31 pm »
Oh, I'd go even stronger than that. We all have different ways of practice, and people are always going to have some things they do, and some things they don't do (or can't do). No one can learn every possible method, or practice every possible practice. Your body and mind may have different limits than someone else's (like mine does) but that can often help us narrow down the choices about what we do and how we approach it more easily.

I bet you'll find stuff you're amazing at, and can do well, as you learn more and deepen your practice. It's not a competition about 'how far' or comparing yourself to others. It's about what it does for you, and whether your practice helps celebrate the good times and gets you through the hard times. Everything else is a bonus.

Even in group work, there's a lot of benefit in people having different approaches and strengths (so long as people can do the key things that bring the group together, or figure out solutions that work for everyone.)

And I'm glad the article helped!

You are absolutely lovely. Everything you said made me feel so much better.

You're too right. It isn't about what someone else says I should be able to do or should try to do. It's about if I enjoy it and if it works for me.

A few online groups I've gone to apply for won't take members with mental health issues. But maybe that's okay. Maybe I'm meant to be solitary.

Thank you so much, Jenett. You always put so much thought into your posts and your blog. I really appreciate hearing from you.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 03:54:27 pm »
A few online groups I've gone to apply for won't take members with mental health issues. But maybe that's okay. Maybe I'm meant to be solitary.

At the very least you deserve better treatment than a group that would have that kind of asshole rule.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Hippie-Witch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »
At the very least you deserve better treatment than a group that would have that kind of asshole rule.

It's out of ignorance. They're afraid that someone will do or say something erratic (or something extreme like self-harm or commit suicide) and they just want to make sure that kind of thing doesn't occur in their group.
But, I mean, you can be mentally well and still be someone to do something erratic, mean, or generally undesirable.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 04:13:09 pm »
It's out of ignorance. They're afraid that someone will do or say something erratic (or something extreme like self-harm or commit suicide) and they just want to make sure that kind of thing doesn't occur in their group.

Reminds me of when they threw me out of college for having the crazies.  The administration didn't seem to give a shit about my well-being, they just wanted to be sure I was out of school before I did something that would make the papers so I didn't sully their good name.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:33 am »

Like the other posters here, I'd encourage you to stay on the meds despite what this book said, too.

I don't really have much of an active practice for various reasons, including stumbling blocks I've encountered whilst learning/experimenting - also, I'm not very spiritually in-tune with any of the things one might wish to be in-tune with to start with, disappointingly.  So I'm already starting at a disadvantage.

I've also literally only just started on anti-depressants this past week, so it's yet to kick in at this stage (though it is the same medication I took for about a year a handful of years ago, or so).

But if this means I have to be even more patient with developing my spiritual practice then so be it - my mental health has reached the stage were it needs some support.  I'm sure that with determination and perseverance I will still get there.

Good luck with it all, and you take care too  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog