Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Plastic or glass?  (Read 4103 times)

Jnw78666

• View Profile
Plastic or glass?
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:00:37 pm »
...to hold your salt, sand, water and other elemental items?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Plastic or glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:25:16 pm »

Neither, usually. I prefer ceramic for practical reasons, though I'm fine with either ceramic or glass for ritual reasons.

I strongly prefer not plastic on an altar unless there's some specific reason for something to be plastic. I'll use polymer clay for ritual icons/small statues, because it's something I can work myself at home , and that wins out for some items. Folks I know who do pop culture magic often have commercially made figures or whatever.

But if I've got a choice? Materials where I can understand clearly how they were made, and could theoretically learn how to make for myself if I wanted to invest the time and energy and resources. (Which is a lot more true for ceramic than glass, and more true for glass than plastics. I do the same thing with ritual foods.) 

Why ceramic?  Practical reason, mostly. Medical issues mean I run more clumsy than average, and I drop and shatter a couple of things every six months usually. If I do that with ceramic it makes bigger pieces, usually more visible, and I am less likely to step on shards than with glass.

Beyond that, I tend to like the artistic options for ceramics more than for glass, most of the time (or rather, I adore cobalt blue glass, but it is not ritually suitable for all the things I might want a container for.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jnw78666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:26:46 pm »
Thank you! That's do helpful! :)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »
Thank you! That's do helpful! :)

A Reminder:
Hi Jnw78666,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Morag
TC Forum Staff

Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »

I use a lot of mason jars for general storage, but on my altar I've got glass, ceramic, metal, wood, plastic (some of my candle holders) some kind of presumably imitation ivory. XD

I really like Jenett's thoughts on preferring things that could be made relatively easily. I acquire most of my altar stuff secondhand so it's mostly just a matter of what turns up that fits my aesthetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 08:51:49 am »

Glass, stone, ceramic or wood for me. I have a deep dislike for the resin that manufacturers of pagan aimed products seem so fond off.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 12:00:00 pm »

While I'm not opposed to using plastic, I prefer the feel of glass/ceramic.  I have some resin figures that I like, and right now I have this weird foam mold (I hate the material...but it's a cast of my cat's food that passed this past year, so the meaning of it is way more important than the material)

And that's pretty much how I make my choices.  I'll go for meaning first, then try to find the best material I can find.  If plastic is my choice, then that is okay.

Energetically speaking, I haven't ever found plastic to be a hindrance personally.  I worked with a blade for many years that had a plastic handle and sheath.  I did eventually replace it with one I liked better, but it was never a problem working with it.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

I use glass, ceramic, or I have some small pewter bowls and decorative items from my grandmother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
I have a deep dislike for the resin that manufacturers of pagan aimed products seem so fond off.

If you're talking about the stuff I think you are (what's used in those dark grey 'goth'-style figurines?) I'd like to point out that it takes acrylic paint really well. So it's possible to vastly improve its appearance.

That said, I don't use it for ritual purposes either. A lot of what I have is stone, wood and ceramic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:09 pm »
If you're talking about the stuff I think you are (what's used in those dark grey 'goth'-style figurines?) I'd like to point out that it takes acrylic paint really well. So it's possible to vastly improve its appearance.

That said, I don't use it for ritual purposes either. A lot of what I have is stone, wood and ceramic.

Probably - it's used a lot for fancy cast tealight holders, wands, book of shadows covers and numerous other stuff.  Yes usually gothic!  I didn't know you could paint it but it's the material itself I dislike.  I prefer to use natural materials than polyester based resins which are not the least bit environmentally friendly

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 12:21:42 am »
For mostly sentimental reasons, I avoid plastic in favour of glass jar, ceramic bowls, or wood boxes. To a certain extent, glass and ceramic can be easy to clean, so there is that. Easier than cleaning plastic, in my experience.

But I have to give a bit of a second thought to the whole thing: I think that "we" tend to prefer glass and stuff like that because of some inexplicable feeling  of antiquity to it. People have been using glass and ceramic for thousands of years, while plastic is very recent. But if ancient people had the ability to reliably manufacture plastic containers, I'm sure they would have. For the same reason we do now--it's highly durable, it's cheap to make and to purchase, and it can be shaped into a variety of forms.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 01:32:21 am »

Glass, stone, or metal.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 07:33:54 am »
For mostly sentimental reasons, I avoid plastic in favour of glass jar, ceramic bowls, or wood boxes. To a certain extent, glass and ceramic can be easy to clean, so there is that. Easier than cleaning plastic, in my experience.

But I have to give a bit of a second thought to the whole thing: I think that "we" tend to prefer glass and stuff like that because of some inexplicable feeling  of antiquity to it. People have been using glass and ceramic for thousands of years, while plastic is very recent. But if ancient people had the ability to reliably manufacture plastic containers, I'm sure they would have. For the same reason we do now--it's highly durable, it's cheap to make and to purchase, and it can be shaped into a variety of forms.
I try to avoid plastic as well, not only because of the "antiquity" feeling, but the quality aspect as well. Plastic tends to feel very cheap to me, even though I get most of my stuff secondhand and it's all cheap :p.

But if I have to buy something new and just can't afford to go the glass/ceramic/metal route, I'll get plastic. That's the problem with being broke, I guess.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Lovelorn

• Eternally seeking
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Modern Paganism; Semi-Celtic Wicca, Tapped by An Morrighan.
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:22 am »

Plastic.  I would prefer to use glass or ceramic.  But I have an 8 week old kitten and a 6 year old son with autism and ADHD.  Durability is needed.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 01:05:37 pm »
Probably - it's used a lot for fancy cast tealight holders, wands, book of shadows covers and numerous other stuff.  Yes usually gothic!  I didn't know you could paint it but it's the material itself I dislike.  I prefer to use natural materials than polyester based resins which are not the least bit environmentally friendly

This (environmental sustainability) is the reason I try to avoid plastic (for everything,  not just for ritual & etc) - I know there's issues with glass, ceramic & other materials too but I really hate to use plastic if I can help it.

I also just prefer more  'natural' materials for aesthetic reasons, and I find most plastics perish before very long (and yet don't totally biodegrade well, some not ever).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 193
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal