collapse

Author Topic: Patron Gods  (Read 4184 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Patron Gods
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 04:30:56 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;76856
I honestly don't know.  I feel that 'patron' already has a meaning, and don't like seeing it stretched out of shape, but I don't know if there is a more precise word.  It may be that that sort of relationship has become part of the words meaning at this point and I am simply behind the times.

I think that may be so.  I've even seen it said (here on TC!) that "patron" is only accurate if the deity has clearly indicated that s/he accepts that follower - I've gritted my teeth every time, because I really can;t get behind something that so completely ignores historic usage.

I've sometimes used "thwap-patron" to distinguish the personal/reciprocal kind of relationship, but that's dependent on actual thwappage, so it doesn't cover all modern usage.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sparrow

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:10 am »
Quote from: Exequiae;76217
How do you know who is your patron god?  For example, there are more than 200 Celtic deities - how do you know that one of them will be yours?

Also, on a more Judeo-Christian footing (don't shoot me down on this one, I am not a Christian, but I've been thinking . . .) how do you know it really is the god and not (as a Christian may say) Satan?

I'm a devotee of Epona, and she came to me and encouraged me down that path. I haven't met many people who planned which god would be theirs. I don't believe in Satan so that isn't a big concern. :)

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:32 am »
Quote from: Exequiae;76217
How do you know who is your patron god?  For example, there are more than 200 Celtic deities - how do you know that one of them will be yours?

Until it happens, if it happens, you really have no way of knowing. But when it does happen, you know without question. A deity entering your life in that kind of intimate fashion has a tendency to shake things up. Once they have your attention, things start to make sense and run a little more smoothly again.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53:36 am »
Quote from: Vitkyng;77877
Once they have your attention, things start to make sense and run a little more smoothly again.

Except for when it doesn't. Some deities can really shake things up. ;)

Tags: