collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Patron Goddess: Perhaps Aphrodite?  (Read 11584 times)

EclecticWillow

• View Profile
Patron Goddess: Perhaps Aphrodite?
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:27 am »
I have been praying and attempting to meditate (I tend to be bad at focusing) in an attempt to open myself up to the God and Goddess, truly introduce myself, and find out who my Patron God and Goddess are. I believe my Patron's have always been watching out for me, but I'm not certain who they are. I have a love for Roman and Greek culture, and have had feelings lately that Aphrodite is my Patron Goddess. I just feel like something is pointing me toward her, but how can I know for sure? Are there specific symbols or signs I should look out for?
If you have any meditation tips for a self-proclaimed ADD sufferer, please do not hesitate. I feel this connection is hindering my confidence to do an actual ritual and magick in general.

Thank you very much! :)

Love and Light,
EclecticWillow
"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
- Lao Tzu

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Patron Goddess: Perhaps Aphrodite?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Quote from: EclecticWillow;81413
I have been praying and attempting to meditate (I tend to be bad at focusing) in an attempt to open myself up to the God and Goddess, truly introduce myself, and find out who my Patron God and Goddess are. I believe my Patron's have always been watching out for me, but I'm not certain who they are. I have a love for Roman and Greek culture, and have had feelings lately that Aphrodite is my Patron Goddess. I just feel like something is pointing me toward her, but how can I know for sure? Are there specific symbols or signs I should look out for?

I know some people have patrons, but I find it important to point out that not every pagan or witch has to have patrons or a 'Lord' and a 'Lady'. You can develop a relationship with just one deity or with several. And all those relationships can be different, some more superficial, some very deep, some just temporal etc.

If you feel drawn towards Aphrodite I'd suggest to research her. I believe this site is a good starting point:

http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Aphrodite.html

I'd try to get a feeling of what interests me most about Aphrodite, why I feel drawn to her and if there's anything I'd like to ask of her.

Then I'd research how to best approach her, what kind of offerings, altars etc. she likes and try to talk to people who have experiences with her.

Then I'd try to slowly approach her by setting up a small shrine for her or give her a corner of my house altar or something, give some offerings, tell her what I hope to get from her, look what happens...

I'm not sure there are any signs to 'know for sure', but I'd simply put some work into it and wait what happens. You might feel her presence when you offer something or pray or you might get a dream or you might get the feeling that she really 'inhabits' a statue or picture you set up on a shrine or your house altar.

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:13 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;81419
I'm not sure there are any signs to 'know for sure', but I'd simply put some work into it and wait what happens. You might feel her presence when you offer something or pray or you might get a dream or you might get the feeling that she really 'inhabits' a statue or picture you set up on a shrine or your house altar.

Pretty much this. I've been drawn to Aphrodite too lately so I devoured as much about her as I could, her myths and specifically her cult history. There are a lot of aspects of the goddess, so including her epithets might help you somewhat.

I set up space on my minuscule window sill shrine for her and gave her some offerings and libations and though I haven't received any clear cut 'thanks for that' sort of message, I believe she's open to further communication. I don't really believe that you can claim a god or goddess straight away and say 'this is my patron', I think that sort of relationship takes a lot of time and effort to develop.

As far as meditation goes, I found that having some rhythmic drumming playing helped me focus on something other than silence.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:03:05 pm by Jezebel »

Nessa

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »
I have a love for Roman and Greek culture, and have had feelings lately that Aphrodite is my Patron Goddess. I just feel like something is pointing me toward her, but how can I know for sure? Are there specific symbols or signs I should look out for?
If you have any meditation tips for a self-proclaimed ADD sufferer, please do not hesitate. I feel this connection is hindering my confidence to do an actual ritual and magick in general.

Thank you very much! :)

Love and Light,
EclecticWillow[/QUOTE]
feelings are a good start, but be very very careful about latching on to Aphrodite too quickly.  I'd start by doing a little library work.  Read myths that have to do with Aphrodite (the Iliad is a good place to start, I suggest the Fagles Translation available from Penguin Classics, do be sure to read all those little notes in the back, they provide lots of information on deities and culture). Find out what sort of cult she had in the Ancient World which will give you some clues as to where and how you might find her today. Learn about Aphrodite in the context of the culture that gave her birth and you will come closer to finding out if she really is your patroness. And be very careful in your research: the true Aphrodite may turn out to be a very different kind of Goddess than you originally thought (I only say this because I know someone who this happened to).  While many people use the name "Aphrodite" to refer to the Tripartite Goddess, or to one of her aspects this is a wrongful usage of the name.  That is not Aphrodite.  The name "Aphrodite" properly refers only to the Greek Goddess. As to meditation techniques: well, try using some kind of mantra, or repeated phrase.  This helps bring that little part of your mind that likes to wander away back to the task at hand.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »
Quote from: Nessa;83000

A Reminder:
Hi, Nessa,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, and to leave the quote code (the parts in square brackets) intact, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules.  The quote code allows a trackback to what you're replying to, which is even more important to us than the text being quoted.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: