Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pantheism, Panentheism and all about it  (Read 1825 times)

Kodi R.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Pantheism, Panentheism and all about it
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
So, while looking at the Pagan Primer and the Teen Pagan 101 thing, I saw the section about Pantheism and Panentheism. I really thought it resonated with me, but I was wondering if someone here could explain it to me a little clearer or, perhaps, tell me a little more about it? Maybe even show me some more good resources if they could?

If so, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you very much.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Pantheism, Panentheism and all about it
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »
Quote from: Kodi R.;117481
So, while looking at the Pagan Primer and the Teen Pagan 101 thing, I saw the section about Pantheism and Panentheism. I really thought it resonated with me, but I was wondering if someone here could explain it to me a little clearer

I;m not sure what you are looking for, but Pantheism is the belierf that the divine and the universe (or reality) are one and the same thing. The universe is all of God and God is all of the universe. There is nothing that is not God.

Panentheism on the other hand believes that the universe is just a part of, while all of the universe is God, God is bigger than the universe and extends "beyond" it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Kodi R.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:53 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;117492
I;m not sure what you are looking for, but Pantheism is the belierf that the divine and the universe (or reality) are one and the same thing. The universe is all of God and God is all of the universe. There is nothing that is not God.

Panentheism on the other hand believes that the universe is just a part of, while all of the universe is God, God is bigger than the universe and extends "beyond" it.

I was just looking for a clearer explanation, and perhaps some more stuff to look at about it.

Some of which you helped with. Thank you.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Pantheism, Panentheism and all about it
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:26:56 pm »
Quote from: Kodi R.;117481
So, while looking at the Pagan Primer and the Teen Pagan 101 thing, I saw the section about Pantheism and Panentheism. I really thought it resonated with me, but I was wondering if someone here could explain it to me a little clearer or, perhaps, tell me a little more about it? Maybe even show me some more good resources if they could?

If so, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you very much.

It's not a religion in itself.  It's a worldview which holds some religions.

FlameKeeping, for example, is a pantheistic philosophy.  But it's not the only one.

Kodi R.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:49 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;117511
It's not a religion in itself.  It's a worldview which holds some religions.

FlameKeeping, for example, is a pantheistic philosophy.  But it's not the only one.

So, it's more of a philosophy? What are some common ones? (Common, as in most followed)

Thank you.

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »
Quote from: Kodi R.;117512
So, it's more of a philosophy? What are some common ones? (Common, as in most followed)

Thank you.

There are definitely religions that are explicitly pantheistic --- Taoism, unless I'm mistaken, is one --- but mostly it's a theological position that's compatible with a lot of different religions.  For instance, I'm a Kemetic and panentheist, and Kemeticism is compatible with panentheism . . . but that doesn't mean that all Kemetics are panentheists.  (As far as I know, I'm in the minority.)  

There are people who identify solely as pantheists, but as far as I know, no one identifies solely as a panentheist.  I assume it's because if you say, "Everything exists inside of God," it does sort of raise the question of "Which God?"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:04:36 pm »
Quote from: Kodi R.;117512

I'd say it's more a characteristic-- or a descriptor-- of belief rather than a belief unto itself.  
You know, some belief systems are mono- or polytheistic; some are also pan- or panentheistic.  
And it might not apply across an entire belief system.  For instance, a good fried of mine is an ordained Christian minister; he also believes God is immanent and transcendent, making him (technically) a panentheist, but still a (very non-traditional) Christian.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:59:25 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;117517
I'd say it's more a characteristic-- or a descriptor-- of belief rather than a belief unto itself.   You know, some belief systems are mono- or polytheistic; some are also pan- or panentheistic. And it might not apply across an entire belief system.

Definitely this. The terms aren't names of religions, they are descriptions of beliefs which some religions and some philosophies hold.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: