Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Norse / viking but vegan  (Read 2558 times)

AvaLily

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/ them
Norse / viking but vegan
« on: December 01, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »
am looking into Norse/ viking  magic  but at the moment am vegan and i know that viking are about scarfing animals which  i dont believe in doing so  but am drawn to fraya Norse Goddess  i like reading about her and there are some books  that am interested  in Norse viking   but this maybe wrong for me so am unsure  what am meant to feel when drawn to a God or Goddess  but i feel love from her and love for her
is there anyone  here who follow the  same path ? i need to learn a lot 

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Norse / viking but vegan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:49:11 pm »
am looking into Norse/ viking  magic  but at the moment am vegan and i know that viking are about scarfing animals which  i dont believe in doing so  but am drawn to fraya Norse Goddess  i like reading about her and there are some books  that am interested  in Norse viking   but this maybe wrong for me so am unsure  what am meant to feel when drawn to a God or Goddess  but i feel love from her and love for her
is there anyone  here who follow the  same path ? i need to learn a lot

There is no problem with worshipping a Norse deity and being a vegan. The diets of the Viking-Age Scandinavians were impacted significantly by their environment, and as animal protein could be a source of nutrition outside of the limited growing season, it stands to reason that such a diet would be useful for people in such a culture. A person living in a different period is not limited to the diet of early-medieval Scandinavians.

Freya is a very important goddess to me and one of three goddesses whom I worship on a regular basis. There are many aspects to her multi-faceted character - sex, love, death, war, magic, fertility, etc.

There is a lot of writing on Freya, some of it academic, some of it more "personal" in the sense of modern worshippers describing their relationship with this goddess. Both perspectives are valuable, but it is a good idea to be able to differentiate people's modern experiences with what we know of Freya's historical worship. One perspective is not necessarily more important than the other. One example of a modern perspective can be found here:

https://thegoldthread.wordpress.com/

the blog is from a person who is/was dedicated to Freya. It may give you some idea of how a modern person could relate to her. For a perspective more focused on historical worship, you could start with some of the works of Hilda Ellis Davidson. "Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe" and "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe" are great places to start though they tend to look at the whole pantheon rather than just Freya specifically.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

AvaLily

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:28:23 am »
There is no problem with worshipping a Norse deity and being a vegan. The diets of the Viking-Age Scandinavians were impacted significantly by their environment, and as animal protein could be a source of nutrition outside of the limited growing season, it stands to reason that such a diet would be useful for people in such a culture. A person living in a different period is not limited to the diet of early-medieval Scandinavians.

Freya is a very important goddess to me and one of three goddesses whom I worship on a regular basis. There are many aspects to her multi-faceted character - sex, love, death, war, magic, fertility, etc.

There is a lot of writing on Freya, some of it academic, some of it more "personal" in the sense of modern worshippers describing their relationship with this goddess. Both perspectives are valuable, but it is a good idea to be able to differentiate people's modern experiences with what we know of Freya's historical worship. One perspective is not necessarily more important than the other. One example of a modern perspective can be found here:

https://thegoldthread.wordpress.com/

the blog is from a person who is/was dedicated to Freya. It may give you some idea of how a modern person could relate to her. For a perspective more focused on historical worship, you could start with some of the works of Hilda Ellis Davidson. "Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe" and "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe" are great places to start though they tend to look at the whole pantheon rather than just Freya specifically.
   Thank you for getting back to me  and thank you for the link   i managed to order myself a book Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions by Galina Krasskova from amazon  should be getting here by  tuesday or wednesday  looking forward  to it

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »
   Thank you for getting back to me  and thank you for the link   i managed to order myself a book Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions by Galina Krasskova from amazon  should be getting here by  tuesday or wednesday  looking forward  to it

Galiana Krasskova is a very passionate polytheist and a list of her online writings can be found here:

https://krasskova.wordpress.com/

However, she does sometimes veer into pretty hateful territory towards monotheists (excluding her love of traditional forms of Christianity - it's complicated). Her book is...and interesting place to start. The benefits are that she presents both ways to practice alongside information about the religion. The downside is that there is little attempt to distinguish between her own opinions and ideas that are more widely accepted by scholars and modern Heathens. It is a good idea to read widely about the subject and there are numerous disagreements within the academic community and among modern Heathens. A broad perspective on those different viewpoints will allow you to understand the religion in a way that works for you.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 05:23:03 pm »
am looking into Norse/ viking  magic  but at the moment am vegan and i know that viking are about scarfing animals which  i dont believe in doing

Two thoughts;

First, not all Norse rituals involved blood sacrifice. Make no mistake, they did performs such rites, and quite frequently, but there were other forms of worship as well. I am sure you can find rituals that are vegan-friendly if you ask around.

Secondly, most pagans today, even if they aren't vegan, don't actually sacrifice animals! It's illegal in many places to do so, and even when it is legal, most modern folks have ethical or moral objections to doing so, and most communities would frown upon it. Some people do animal sacrifices, but it's hardly the norm in the modern pagan movement!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 06:18:22 pm »
Two thoughts;

First, not all Norse rituals involved blood sacrifice. Make no mistake, they did performs such rites, and quite frequently, but there were other forms of worship as well. I am sure you can find rituals that are vegan-friendly if you ask around.

Secondly, most pagans today, even if they aren't vegan, don't actually sacrifice animals! It's illegal in many places to do so, and even when it is legal, most modern folks have ethical or moral objections to doing so, and most communities would frown upon it. Some people do animal sacrifices, but it's hardly the norm in the modern pagan movement!

I could be mistaken - and please do let me know if I am, WillowLily - but I don't think that was a typo/spello/autocarrot for 'sacrifice', I think WillowLily did mean 'scarfing' (as in, f'ex, 'scarfing pizza': to eat rapidly and/or in large quantities).

Which might also be a good place to mention (I'm quoting or closely paraphrasing someone, and it might even be you, EDF) to WillowLily, 'Viking is a job description, not a culture.' Originally it was a verb - to go viking - not a noun. You'll probably see, in your researches, less bragging about scarfing meat, if you leave 'Viking' out and just search on things like 'Norse' and 'heathen'.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AvaLily

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:50:53 am »
I could be mistaken - and please do let me know if I am, WillowLily - but I don't think that was a typo/spello/autocarrot for 'sacrifice', I think WillowLily did mean 'scarfing' (as in, f'ex, 'scarfing pizza': to eat rapidly and/or in large quantities).

hi am have dsylexica and sometimes there are words that look the same and i dont  notice the mistake  i have a spelling thing on my pc  but there are words  i dont understand  some words  but there are some i have problems with
sorry for the confusion

Tags: