Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: New to Asatru, but still converting also getting married  (Read 4273 times)

kratos264

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: New to Asatru, but still converting also getting married
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »
Quote from: Scales;183565
As well as actual reassuring, I think just, you know, keeping up being yourself will help. Doing things that make her think, if subliminally, 'yep, that's you.'

It'll take time until she is fully comfortable with my switch. I'll most likely put of fully converting until she is comfortable with my change and after I've done enough research and read the stories.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
Quote from: kratos264;183524
Great news, I talked with my fiance and things went very well. I think there may even be a chance to convert her to Asatru as well.

!!!Great to hear it went well!!!

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 02:05:06 am »
Quote from: kratos264;183560
Yeah, I'm going to have to take it slowly. Things got a little more complicated last night after she'd had a few hours to think about it. I think she's just worried in going to be a different person now, but I just need to keep reassuring her that I'm not going to change.

...Except that you are changing? The thing is, people are constantly changing. She's scared that you'll change into someone she doesn't love.

And the fact is, you're changing your religion. You're intentionally changing your viewpoints. You are no longer the person she met. How different and similar will you be from the person on her first date with you to the person she's now marrying?
Wazhazhe

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 02:07:04 am »
Quote from: kratos264;183580
It'll take time until she is fully comfortable with my switch. I'll most likely put of fully converting until she is comfortable with my change and after I've done enough research and read the stories.

I'm also rather concerned here. Why are you so eager to change her? Why are you marrying someone with the intent to change them? This seems unhealthy.

EDIT: My apologies. Wrong quote and misread post. I had thought you were referring to the post where I believe you said you had full intention of converting her. I need to stop replying once it hits midnight.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:11:08 am by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

kratos264

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 12:03:42 pm »
Quote from: Aubren;183638
...Except that you are changing? The thing is, people are constantly changing. She's scared that you'll change into someone she doesn't love.

And the fact is, you're changing your religion. You're intentionally changing your viewpoints. You are no longer the person she met. How different and similar will you be from the person on her first date with you to the person she's now marrying?

My belief is that I've held these viewpoints my whole life and am just now realizing that they have never been christian ones. The biggest changes that she is concerned with are what are we going to do on holidays, and how we are going to raise children, and her views on an after life. We are working through it though, and I don't want try change her, she is perfect to me the way she is, no matter what she believes.

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 05:59:55 pm »
Quote from: kratos264;183646
My belief is that I've held these viewpoints my whole life and am just now realizing that they have never been christian ones. The biggest changes that she is concerned with are what are we going to do on holidays, and how we are going to raise children, and her views on an after life.

Oh, alright then.

Just throwing a bone out there, Yulemas/Christyule sounds pretty compatible. I mean, Christmas incorporates a lot of yule anyways, doesn't it?

We are working through it though, and I don't want try change her, she is perfect to me the way she is, no matter what she believes.

Once again, apologies for my misunderstanding.
Wazhazhe

kratos264

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 07:42:41 am »
Quote from: Aubren;183678
Oh, alright then.

Just throwing a bone out there, Yulemas/Christyule sounds pretty compatible. I mean, Christmas incorporates a lot of yule anyways, doesn't it?

Once again, apologies for my misunderstanding.

It's OK, I probably hadn't done a good job of explaining it. I think I finally explained it to her in a way that she will accept, but I might look into that. It will probably help keep the peace if nothing else.

Tags: