Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Author Topic: My personal beliefs  (Read 1209 times)

windmote

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
My personal beliefs
« on: December 01, 2013, 03:08:02 pm »
So, I'm not sharing my personal beliefs just to "stand out" in the community or anything***.  Rather, I'm excited by having a definite, tangible thread to follow, so that is why I would like to share my personal beliefs--to see what others have to say and offer, and therefore mayhap find the next step in my journey.

Without further ado: I believe the universe is constructed of energy, and the energy manifests itself in different ways.  Especially if many people try to channel that energy into one specific deity, for instance, and then claim a miracle was performed.  AKA I believe that Jesus may have actually performed some miracles, because a significant amount of people believed in him.  

Now, I'm using this term without knowing all the cultural nuances, but knowing what I do know about the term I believe it is most relevant:  Tibetan thought forms.  

I believe the universe operates basically via Tibetan though forms.  You get enough people to believe something, and WHAM! it's real.

But I notice some very obvious flaws with this belief.  What about things like family ghosts that only one or two grandchildren notice?  Surely not *every* personal account wandering on the interwebz is made up or influenced by mental illness.  And then there are miracles that occur despite the lack of belief the viewer may have hold.  I wish I had some solid numbers to reflect the above instances to develop a better understanding, but I'm still a little fledgeling wandering through the dark, so I wouldn't even know where to look.

ANYWAYS:
I have to wonder what is and is not real, considering my worldview.  Believe it or not, I am actually a HUGE sceptic.  But somehow the idea of energy forming itself in different ways makes the most sense to me.  It seems the most logical.  And until the past two years, I never had ANY sort of instance that would strengthen my beliefs in anything beyond the aetheistic "mundane".

Another point:  I find it incredibly intriguing that many people on here have certain gods or goddesses they work with.  The reason being because I have never felt particularly drawn towards any particular culture and it's mythology.  I do find more of a connection with Native American mythology at times, but considering there were probably more Native American tribes than there were actual languages on the Earth (okay, I admit that is an inaccurate hyperbole--just roll with it) I don't want to sit there and automatically claim any sort of connection to Native beliefs.  

So I guess what I'm trying to get at: I feel like I *might* be right for a more shamanistic path, considering my personal beliefs.  However, part of the reason why I came to this forum is because, after reading some threads, I realized a lot of the more prominent/frequent posters on here seemed to be more logical and grounded in their reasoning, while knowing what they were talking about magically.  So they seemed to know what is what, and what really goes on, in issues that are not mundae.  So mayhap they can lead me in more accurate directions for my beliefs.  Which leads me to my ultimate conclusion of this post:

What path would you recommend I pursue?  I feel as if I am more than ready to actually explore what my beliefs really mean and see where I fit in.

Also, I have a rather close friend who grew up pagan, and basically says there is a "right" way to do magic and a "wrong" way.  Can anybody shed some light on that?  Because I'm sort of caught in the middle with my beliefs:  I don't know what to believe:  On the one hand, i believe that the intention behind magical work is what makes a spell/hex/what have you work.  But on the other hand, if enough people believe in a certain mechanism that makes magic work, is that really a "wrong" way?  Could it not possibly work?

As a disclaimer: I haven't really had much practice with magic(k).  Let me know of any and all misconceptions I may hold, please.  I joined this community in the hopes of bettering myself. :)

Rayne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: My personal beliefs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »
Quote from: windmote;131202
So, I'm not sharing my personal beliefs just to "stand out" in the community or anything***.  Rather, I'm excited by having a definite, tangible thread to follow, so that is why I would like to share my personal beliefs--to see what others have to say and offer, and therefore mayhap find the next step in my journey.

(snipped for brevity)

Personally, I agree that the intent behind the magic or magik as well as your focus is more important than any particular form, but there are those who may disagree.

I am not a member or student of any particular tradition, nor am I a recon, but some of them may follow set rituals or steps when performing magic, and such an influence may be where your friend is coming from. Not that one way is right or another is wrong, but there are many different ways. I'd suggest asking your friend to explain what they mean, it may 'click' for you and it may not. But at least you would know.

As for suggesting a path or tradition, that's something we all have to find for ourselves. And many of us alter them as we grow and learn.

Do you have any ancestral ties that you would like to explore further?

Are you interested in a tradition, or a more ecclectic path?

What things in life or the world do you feel drawn to?

Questions like these can help you find your first steps on the path for you. Even if they are nothing like the first steps of anyone else.
For All That I Am..For All That I See
For All I\'m A Part Of..For All That Sees Me

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
Quote from: windmote;131202
What path would you recommend I pursue?  I feel as if I am more than ready to actually explore what my beliefs really mean and see where I fit in.

Also, I have a rather close friend who grew up pagan, and basically says there is a "right" way to do magic and a "wrong" way.  Can anybody shed some light on that?  Because I'm sort of caught in the middle with my beliefs:  I don't know what to believe:  On the one hand, i believe that the intention behind magical work is what makes a spell/hex/what have you work.  But on the other hand, if enough people believe in a certain mechanism that makes magic work, is that really a "wrong" way?  Could it not possibly work?

As a disclaimer: I haven't really had much practice with magic(k).  Let me know of any and all misconceptions I may hold, please.  I joined this community in the hopes of bettering myself. :)

In large part I agree with you regarding the Universe being made up of energy. In my learning we would say, "energy and information."

I'm not sure that I agree when you speak of Tibetan thoughtforms however. (Admittedly I have not done extensive research into Tibetan belief. If you could clarify, that would help.)

You seem to suggest that ghosts are thoughtforms. While I might agree in part, my question to this would be, "Whose thoughtform?" Is it the thoughtform of the person who sees it? Or of the person who died? (IMO the later is more likely, if it's actually a ghost.) OR is it the thoughtform of the Universe itself?

In my path we see everything that exists as a "shard" of the All-That-Is, which we call "the Dragon." As such, we could say that everyone and everything that exists -- you, me, the computers we're reading/writing this on, the puppy asleep next to me and the  plastic bag that some idiot dumped in the swamp outside my window are all thoughtforms of the Dragon.

On the subject of magick, Intent is certainly foremost. I'd say that while there isn't ONE RIGHT WAY to do it (or to do most anything) there are several more EFFECTIVE ways to do it. Various traditions teach various methods. Many of those traditions have certain methods in common.

As for which path you should follow, only you can make that decision, and what's the hurry? Instead, I recommend you explore as many different paths as interest you, and not commit to any one path until you find something that "sings" to you.

Personally, I've always known I was a Witch, but I tried out several flavors of witchcraft and Wicca until I found one that felt right to me.

As for choosing a pantheon, much the same answer. You might find a particular path that works for you and use the pantheon of that path. Or you might be "tapped" by a particular deity and that will lead you toward a particular path.

Or you might find a path that is open to your patron deity, whomever it is and a patron deity that is more interested in working with YOU than worrying about your particular path.

In most cases you don't get to pick your patron deity either (though some paths feel you do). Instead they show up and inform you that you'll be working with them now. Also there's no rush to hunt down your particular patron, they'll show up at the right time, whenever that is.

So get out there and explore and take your time making a commitment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:48:07 pm by Lionrhod »
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

windmote

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »
Quote from: Lionrhod;131357
In large part I agree with you regarding the Universe being made up of energy. In my learning we would say, "energy and information."

I'm not sure that I agree when you speak of Tibetan thoughtforms however. (Admittedly I have not done extensive research into Tibetan belief. If you could clarify, that would help.)

You seem to suggest that ghosts are thoughtforms. While I might agree in part, my question to this would be, "Whose thoughtform?" Is it the thoughtform of the person who sees it? Or of the person who died? (IMO the later is more likely, if it's actually a ghost.) OR is it the thoughtform of the Universe itself?...

I'm gonna be honest--I may or may not have been trashed when I decided to come on here and grab for ideas. <<  Which is why I may not have made sense.

But since I made the thread I'll go ahead and roll with it. ^^;

Anyways, nah, I wasn't trying to say ghosts are thought forms.  On the contrary, I think they are the complete opposite and poke a hole in my thought of how the universe operates, if that makes sense.

I was just wondering if basically there was a particular path that really strongly emphasized the generalities I laid out.  I don't know if they're just more general pagan beliefs or actually specific to anything. *shrug* It's no biggie if I just have to spend more time exploring, I have my whole life ahead of me.

Also, just an aside, I noticed the way I mentioned Native American mythologies and shaminism close together might suggest I thought they were directly related.  In case anybody takes issue with that thought, rest assured, I don't equate one with the other.

Tags: