collapse

Author Topic: Merry Meet and Blessed Be  (Read 12953 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Merry Meet and Blessed Be
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;112590
None that I'm aware of.

Though I suppose if you mashed this thread up with the Christmas bill one you get the hilarious mental image of Texan witches whispering "blessed be" and "happy Yule" to each other while Our God-Fearing Overlords Of Jesus look on.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 01:16:05 am »
Quote from: RandallS;112590
None that I'm aware of.

Same, also it's not like it's *that* uncommon, at least, not to the point where it would be a reasonably safe code phrase for someone in that situation.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 12:48:06 am »
Quote from: OtakuJolyn;4080
...and I thought, 'that sounds so strange in public', Like it doesn't fit with these times...

A lot of the wording in the poetry and liturgy written when Wicca was first starting out was deliberately archaic. It sounded older and thus "more authentic" in their minds.

I feel that Merry Meet and Blessed Be, they feel kind of like a inner circles code-words or made-up lingo...
any thoughts about this?

Kinda, kinda not. They're kind of an in-group thing, since they come from written works that Wiccans and other Neopagans would know the most about. But it's not exactly secret or hidden; the information is publicly available, just not well-known.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 01:11:00 am »
Quote from: Tx_Ghost;112548
Ok first I do Not Always Know who is Pagan in a Semi Social group and Who is Not, One of the Ways I Might Find out is using the Blessed Be or Merry Meet, Not all who wear pentacles(or other Pagan Jewelry  )  are Wiccan, witches , etc. so That being Said. It Is a Greeting to Identify You To Others ( Possibly of like minds) who May or May Not understand them as a Greeting. Myself Being a Large "Bubba,Long Haired, Biker, Redneck, Texan" many would never Know that I am Pagan, Wiccan, Etc. If I did Not occasionally use such greetings as Blessed Be and Merry Meet, so While I may Seem strange or weird or Uncomfortable it has it's uses, In Part it allows other to Identify  your belief or faith and vice a versa. I personally do not wear any jewelry, or any clothing Items that Might signal to anyone what my beliefs or faith are, so the greetings are my opening to find people of similar belief or faith or not. Some of these have been used for ages, When Wicca and Witchcraft were Unlawful in Many Counties to find others, Kind of like a code of acknowledgement. Hopefully this may help some Understand why they are sometimes used still.

Okay, ignoring the dubious history thing there... I understand the reasoning behind saying it, but like... can't you just flat-out ask "hey, are you pagan?" if you're curious?

I can't be the only person who would prefer an honest question, can I?

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 02:57:57 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;113289
Okay, ignoring the dubious history thing there... I understand the reasoning behind saying it, but like... can't you just flat-out ask "hey, are you pagan?" if you're curious?

I can't be the only person who would prefer an honest question, can I?

I wouldn't mind asking or being asked flat out. But if your using a greeting to determine if there is anyone who recognizes it, isn't that just as much a give away as wearing a necklace or having a key chain with a symbol?
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:17 pm »
Quote from: Nekomata;113300
I wouldn't mind asking or being asked flat out. But if your using a greeting to determine if there is anyone who recognizes it, isn't that just as much a give away as wearing a necklace or having a key chain with a symbol?

Point.

...god, it really is sort of a weird way to say 'hi' outside of a ritual/pagan gathering sort of setting.

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;4111
My take is that it's a piece of ritual language that is not a good fit for general public use. My basic rule of thumb is that I use it only with people I'm willing and interested in being in shared ritual space with - which is not most people. And not even most Pagan people. (Plus, it being a Wiccan-derived phrase, I consider it sort of rude to use on Pagans from other paths unless we're all using the relevant phrase from our own paths.)

I'v also found it very awkward. However, here in South Carolina a VERY common ending to conversations is 'Have a blessed day' in the Christian sense.

But I have found that I can say 'have a blessed day' and be more comfortable with it. Probably because I can mean it one way and the recipient can perceive it another. It's not that I hide my paganism, I just don't broadcast it.

Tags: