Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Altair
[Yesterday at 09:27:38 am]

Re: Foods of the gods by Ashmire
[January 18, 2021, 07:50:34 pm]

Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[January 18, 2021, 07:44:26 pm]

Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[January 18, 2021, 07:23:41 pm]

Author Topic: Learning More About Odin  (Read 3821 times)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Learning More About Odin
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:55 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;89935
Any good idea for food offerings to Odin? I wanted to ask instead of starting a new topic.

You could try to offer bread. Get something nice (but not so nice you break the bank). If you've got a little meat or cheese to offer, that might be okay, too. I think in most forms of heathenry offerings are reverted--or at least the majority of the offerings are reverted--so it's not like you'll end up wasting a lot of food, if that's a concern. Even if reversion doesn't happen in heathenry, you could probably negotiate with Odin on that one. The gods seem to understand how life works when we mortals are short on funds.

Hope that helps. :)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:27 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;89946
If you are truly suffering, it's the thought that counts... if you can't afford anything fancy, water would be fine. And if you do get your hands on something fancy, just a little bit would be fine.

And yes, I've offered milk and orange juice before. Both seemed to be accepted! (They weren't specifically for Odin, though.)

Aren't we all suffering in one form or the other. I'm starting to do outdoor rituals, which is great because the weather isn't as bad down here as it was up North. The only time that I can't do rituals is when its raining. Thanks for the ideas.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »
Quote from: Shine;89952
You could try to offer bread. Get something nice (but not so nice you break the bank). If you've got a little meat or cheese to offer, that might be okay, too. I think in most forms of heathenry offerings are reverted--or at least the majority of the offerings are reverted--so it's not like you'll end up wasting a lot of food, if that's a concern. Even if reversion doesn't happen in heathenry, you could probably negotiate with Odin on that one. The gods seem to understand how life works when we mortals are short on funds.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks. Down here I can bake biscuits that the only thing that you have to do is take them out of the package, put them in the oven, and bake it for several minutes. It comes out like you made it yourself. I also like to put sugar free jam, because I'm a diabetic. I'm going to give that a try as well.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:08 am »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;89983
Thanks. Down here I can bake biscuits that the only thing that you have to do is take them out of the package, put them in the oven, and bake it for several minutes. It comes out like you made it yourself. I also like to put sugar free jam, because I'm a diabetic. I'm going to give that a try as well.

Ooooo, stuff hot out of the oven goes over well with quite a few deities. Sweet things usually go over well, too, although I don't know how much Odin likes 'em. It's worth a try!

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:30 am »
Quote from: Shine;90000
Ooooo, stuff hot out of the oven goes over well with quite a few deities. Sweet things usually go over well, too, although I don't know how much Odin likes 'em. It's worth a try!

Thanks. I'm going to try them plain and then work on the sweetness. I was thinking about giving some of the bread, with jam, to Freya or Frigg.

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 04:56:01 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;89259
For some reason that just cracks me up. Cause I kinda understand it.

Me too; I respect Odin but I don't particularly like him. He always struck me as a darker, crueler God than Thor.

To be brutally honest, I trust Odin about as far as I could throw Mjolnir.

SadieSkye

• View Profile
Learning More About Odin
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 06:57:30 pm »
Quote from: Jack;88331
You don't have to drink it, necessarily - I'm unable to drink alcohol, but I'll offer the good stuff to Odin and pour the offering out.

The best place to start is reading - the Havamal, the Eddas in general, etc. Once you've gotten to know him in the lore, you'll probably have a better sense of what he values.

I found a free app on google play called Daily Asatru. Everyday you can read a passage from Hamaval and Valuspa both in two different translations and then you also have a rune for the day. It also will tell you when an important day is coming up and about it. I like it.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Learning More About Odin
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 12:16:46 am »
Quote from: Thorson;104229
Me too; I respect Odin but I don't particularly like him. He always struck me as a darker, crueler God than Thor.

Odin is one of the gods I honor most, and frankly I feel the same way. He never claims to be more than that, though, at least with me. IME, he's pretty unapologetic about doing what he considers necessary for his plans, or the gods, etc, even if it's not exactly nice.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 05:22:34 am »
Quote from: Jack;104247
Odin is one of the gods I honor most, and frankly I feel the same way. He never claims to be more than that, though, at least with me. IME, he's pretty unapologetic about doing what he considers necessary for his plans, or the gods, etc, even if it's not exactly nice.

Exactly. Odin may help and/or protect you, but only because it fits into His plans. Odin is, of course, the god of the elite, the Jarls. Thor is the god of the working man; with Thor, what you see is what you get.

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 05:25:46 am »
Exactly. Odin may help and/or protect you, but only because it fits into His plans. Odin is, of course, the god of the elite, the Jarls. Thor is the god of the working man; with Thor, what you see is what you get.

In fairness, it's only since he appeared in Marvel Comics that some people have started to view Odin as a stern but kind Sky Father; pretty much a Pagan version of the New Testament God. The Norsemen themselves had no illusions about the Wanderer and, as you say, Old One Eye himself never claimed to be nice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:26:27 am by Thorson »

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:01 am »
Quote from: Thorson;104229

I've never worked with Thor, but from experience, Odin is definitely darker. Definitely more severe, too. For whatever reason, I always got the "gallows god" side of him.

I'm not sure I would distrust Odin if I worked with him, but I'd keep in mind his personality. That's important to do with any god, though, IMO.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
Quote from: Thorson;104265
Last edited by Thorson; Today at 03:26 AM. Reason: quoted my own post

A Reminder:
Hi, Thorson,

Since quoting - and including the quote code, for trackbacks - is required by our rules, you don't want to edit that out!

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Learning More About Odin
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:09 pm »
Quote from: Shine;104297
I've never worked with Thor, but from experience, Odin is definitely darker. Definitely more severe, too. For whatever reason, I always got the "gallows god" side of him.

I'm not sure I would distrust Odin if I worked with him, but I'd keep in mind his personality. That's important to do with any god, though, IMO.

I can trust Odin... To do what he thinks is right in every situation. In the long term, working with him requires feeling like your larger goals are shared by him, so that even if $currentthing doesn't seem to be what you asked for, you know it's something he's working on. Somehow.

Which... I guess I can see the appeal of a Christian-god-type interpretation of that. I mean, when I "let go and let gods" It's usually Odin I'm intending to hand it over to. I realize there are some risks inherent to that; this is a guy who makes sure his favored heroes die in battle so he gets dibs.

But at the same time, on the rare occasions he promises me something, he comes through 100 percent. Mostly I go to him for advice, though - storyteller Woden, rather than the gallows-god or the god of kings.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:29 pm »
Quote from: Jack;104313
I can trust Odin... To do what he thinks is right in every situation. In the long term, working with him requires feeling like your larger goals are shared by him, so that even if $currentthing doesn't seem to be what you asked for, you know it's something he's working on. Somehow.

I guess it depends on the worshipper's personality. Odin and his work can be pretty intense, from what I understand. I didn't work with Odin long enough to be sure either way.

But it's hard to just trust a god who looks that far ahead. XD Human nature.

Which... I guess I can see the appeal of a Christian-god-type interpretation of that. I mean, when I "let go and let gods" It's usually Odin I'm intending to hand it over to. I realize there are some risks inherent to that; this is a guy who makes sure his favored heroes die in battle so he gets dibs.

There's an inherent risk in letting go for any deity. Some deities seem to be especially risky in this regard, though.

I've often had a "let go and let gods" attitude with Bast. It usually involves me walking into a proverbial wall that wasn't there before. -__-'

Tags: