collapse

Author Topic: Kemetic: Learning About Kemeticism  (Read 1649 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Learning About Kemeticism
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:56:22 pm »
So my focus has been on Celtic materials mostly, and I am fairly familiar and well-versed in that topic. Like most people, I have a basic familiarity with Greek and Roman pantheons. I could maybe do to learn some more about Northern Traditions.

That said, Egyptian Gods and Goddesses seem a bit foreign to me, kind of exotic. I don't know much about Kemeticism, but it seems that it is a pretty active type of paganism. I looked briefly at the SIG below in the Cauldron Message Boards. I am interested in learning more about it as a beginner.

Does anyone recommend a main book for beginners? Or a main web site? I do not anticipate that I will use the information for religious practice, but rather to edify myself intellectually and learn about a new topic.

I would also ask those who practice this sort of religion: What drew you to it in the first place? What is the flavor and the meaning of the religion to you? I am interested in subjective and personal ideas about this topic. I just want to get the "feel" of the religion. Thanks.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Learning About Kemeticism
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:12:04 pm »
So my focus has been on Celtic materials mostly, and I am fairly familiar and well-versed in that topic. Like most people, I have a basic familiarity with Greek and Roman pantheons. I could maybe do to learn some more about Northern Traditions.

That said, Egyptian Gods and Goddesses seem a bit foreign to me, kind of exotic. I don't know much about Kemeticism, but it seems that it is a pretty active type of paganism. I looked briefly at the SIG below in the Cauldron Message Boards. I am interested in learning more about it as a beginner.

Does anyone recommend a main book for beginners? Or a main web site? I do not anticipate that I will use the information for religious practice, but rather to edify myself intellectually and learn about a new topic.

I would also ask those who practice this sort of religion: What drew you to it in the first place? What is the flavor and the meaning of the religion to you? I am interested in subjective and personal ideas about this topic. I just want to get the "feel" of the religion. Thanks.

I just found "The Complete Gods And Goddesses Of Ancient Egypt" by Richard H.Wilkinson, in my Public Library System and ordered it through Interlibrary Loan. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:42:28 pm »
I just found "The Complete Gods And Goddesses Of Ancient Egypt" by Richard H.Wilkinson, in my Public Library System and ordered it through Interlibrary Loan. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I am just going to sort through the Kemetic SIG lists of resources when I get some time. I saw that some of the wed site links are defunct.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »

My standard book recs for beginners are the ones that I started with:  Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Hornung, and Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods by Meeks and Favard-Meeks.  These are both works by Egyptologists, and they do not agree on a number of things, which is one of the reasons I recommend them in tandem.

I also recommend Naydler's Temple of the Cosmos, though he is also worth disagreeing with on a number of points. ;)  That might be the best overview in terms of cosmological viewpoint.

The abbreviated story is that I started reading about Kemeticism on one of the temple forums, now defunct, and discovered that it had a vocabulary and established logic for things I had been trying to articulate all my life about ethics and social behaviour; after that I decided to try out some basic ritual and discovered that unlike most every other ritual procedure I had ever tried since becoming pagan, it actually was effective for me.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »
My standard book recs for beginners are the ones that I started with:  Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Hornung, and Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods by Meeks and Favard-Meeks.  These are both works by Egyptologists, and they do not agree on a number of things, which is one of the reasons I recommend them in tandem.

I also recommend Naydler's Temple of the Cosmos, though he is also worth disagreeing with on a number of points. ;)  That might be the best overview in terms of cosmological viewpoint.

The abbreviated story is that I started reading about Kemeticism on one of the temple forums, now defunct, and discovered that it had a vocabulary and established logic for things I had been trying to articulate all my life about ethics and social behaviour; after that I decided to try out some basic ritual and discovered that unlike most every other ritual procedure I had ever tried since becoming pagan, it actually was effective for me.

Thank you kindly for the response. I will look up the book recommendations. The more time I spend here on this Forum, the more that I realize that I am a Student. So, I guess I better get studying. Thanks again.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:47:10 pm »

That is a great book on the Gods and Goddesses.  It is very academic and it is more a dictionary than anything else.  If you are looking for a book on some ancient Egyptian goddesses,  I'd recommend The Great Goddesses of Egypt by Barbara Lesko.  There are chapters for Hathor, Neith, Mut, Isis (Aset), and some others. 
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:04 pm »
That is a great book on the Gods and Goddesses.  It is very academic and it is more a dictionary than anything else.  If you are looking for a book on some ancient Egyptian goddesses,  I'd recommend The Great Goddesses of Egypt by Barbara Lesko.  There are chapters for Hathor, Neith, Mut, Isis (Aset), and some others.

Yes, thanks for the book reference. I will look it up.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:42 pm »

The main beginner academic books I'd recommend would be
The Conception of God of Ancient Egypt by Erik Hornung
The Great Goddesses of Egypt by Barbara Lesko
Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch

For religious books by practitioners, I'd recommend
Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara L. Siuda 
Circle of Isis: Ancient Egyptian Magic for Modern Witches by Ellen Cannon Reed  (This is Wicca based)

I came to Kemetic religion because of Aset (Isis).  I love the mythology and the worldview. 
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

crystalshop

• Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: him
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:13 pm »
Yes!!! I am looking for one also!!

[Spam Sig Removed]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:30:12 am by RandallS »

Tags: