collapse

Author Topic: Isis and Ra associated with Yule?  (Read 5752 times)

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Isis and Ra associated with Yule?
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:44 pm »
I was doing some reading about Yule, (here http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/yule.htm ) and saw a section in the reading that mentioned gods and goddesses associated with it.  In that section, Isis and Ra are mentioned.  What exactly is their association with Yule?  What kinds of offerings would be presented to them to honor them on this holiday?  I don't work with them, but I'd like to honor them somehow during Yule.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Isis and Ra associated with Yule?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:04:21 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;32759
I was doing some reading about Yule, (here http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/yule.htm ) and saw a section in the reading that mentioned gods and goddesses associated with it.  In that section, Isis and Ra are mentioned.  What exactly is their association with Yule?  What kinds of offerings would be presented to them to honor them on this holiday?  I don't work with them, but I'd like to honor them somehow during Yule.

I don't do much with Egyptian deities, but Yule is not a universal celebration.  I have always believed it is a Western European based seasonal celebration.  But perhaps they are associated at whatever Egypt did for the winter solstice - assuming they did?
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:34 pm »
What exactly is their association with Yule?

"I know!  If I make something up it will totally sound plausible!  People believe all kinds of made-up nonsense, that's what paganism is all about!"

(In other words, the ancient Egyptians did not celebrate Germanic tribal holidays.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:08:09 pm by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »

To add to what Owl and Darkhawk said, Isis and Ra being associated with Yule sounds like something a single neo-Wiccan does.  Yule was a Northern European holiday so I doubt Kemetic/Hellenistic deities were associated with it.  Although I have to scratch my head in regards to those two deities.  In the Wiccan version of Yule, it would make more sense if it were Isis and Horus.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:29 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;32761
In other words, the ancient Egyptians did not celebrate Germanic tribal holidays.

That's precisely what I was confused about.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »

I would assume one could more than likely offer worship to Isis and Ra during the Yule holy days.

Doesn't mean, however, that They Themselves have any connection to Yule beyond what individual worshippers do with their holy days.

Otherwise, what Darkhawk said. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:21:14 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;32766
That's precisely what I was confused about.

I suggest just honoring the whole "nature is great! Yay! Longest night of the year is KEWL!" kind of a thing for Yule.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:54:50 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;32762
To add to what Owl and Darkhawk said, Isis and Ra being associated with Yule sounds like something a single neo-Wiccan does.  Yule was a Northern European holiday so I doubt Kemetic/Hellenistic deities were associated with it.  Although I have to scratch my head in regards to those two deities.  In the Wiccan version of Yule, it would make more sense if it were Isis and Horus.

Very definitely NeoWiccan, or vaguely-Wiccish neoPagan, as distinct from Wiccan (either BTW or Eclectic), methinks, because, yep, Isis and Horus would fit better with (one of) the Wiccan Yule paradigms - and, indeed, I've seen it applied that way, by EWs and by those BTW who adhered to a more universalist cosmology (i.e., the "known by many names in many cultures" position - it seems to be much less common among BTW now than it once was, the "very specific British tribal deities" position having become more predominant, but I know of a few BTW who still take that view).  (The other Wiccan Yule paradigm would, if Egypticized, probably focus on Set and either Osiris or Horus, but it'd stretch both the Wiccish paradigm and the Kemetic mythology all out of shape - I don't think I've encountered anyone silly enough to do it.)

I think the clue is in this bit from the end of the body of the article (before the bold-headed lists): "Deities of Yule are all Newborn Gods, Sun Gods, Mother Goddesses, and Triple Goddesses."  Basically, the pseudologic is, "Isis is a Mother Goddess!  And Ra is a Sun God!*  Yay, we have our gender-essentialist deity roles filled!"

(* This calls inevitably to mind the humorous chant, "Sun God!  Sun God!  He's a fun god!  Ra, Ra, Ra!")

I didn't bother to read the article more closely than it took to skim for that info; I rolled my eyes as soon as it told me, in the first three words, to pronounce Yule "EWE-elle" - that pronunciation?  AFAIK is a device used to make a few Christmas carols scan.  WTF is it with a certain sort of NeoWiccan that they have to make things Sound Fancy?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 07:42:29 am »

I'll be honest I never really understood trying to fit the Egyptian gods / goddesses into Yule.  Thier whole society to include thier divinities was built about a three quarter calander.  That calander basically marking the nile flood period and planting, harvesting of crops then the bad times when the Nile receeded and left the land foul and marshy.

Then one had to factor in that their calander had to be "Fixed" every couple of years as there was drift in it.  So it becomes difficult to say this phase of their calander would be reflective of Yule.

One of the reason's I frequently see given to explain why Wicca (or any other Northern European inspired religious practice) failed to take hold in that part of the world or area's closer to the equator.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:52:29 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;32762
To add to what Owl and Darkhawk said, Isis and Ra being associated with Yule sounds like something a single neo-Wiccan does.  Yule was a Northern European holiday so I doubt Kemetic/Hellenistic deities were associated with it.

This is certainly true of Hellenic deities. Yule simply was not known in ancient Greece.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 11:46:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;32836
This is certainly true of Hellenic deities. Yule simply was not known in ancient Greece.

WTH?? Why would anyone with half a brain try to fit a square peg (Egyptian deities) into a round hole (Northern European traditions)?

Wait.....I forgot, we're all fluffy-bunny types who make it up as we go along. :hdsk:

Guess this means I can actually have Yoda as Santa?
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Isis and Ra associated with Yule?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 03:57:11 am »
Quote from: victoreia;32929
WTH?? Why would anyone with half a brain try to fit a square peg (Egyptian deities) into a round hole (Northern European traditions)?

Wait.....I forgot, we're all fluffy-bunny types who make it up as we go along. :hdsk:

Guess this means I can actually have Yoda as Santa?

Nope. You gotta have Yogurt instead so he can use the Schwartz.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:41:49 pm »

Personally I'd mistrust every page that offers comfortable 'mix-and-match' lists. ;)
Everything else has been said already.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 03:29:01 pm »

All of this is opinion from a newbie pagan, so take it with a big grain of salt and of course tell me if something I say is way off the mark.

I understand that some pantheons just Do Not Fit with certain holidays, but I don't see any problems with making it fit so long as you're respectful, don't call what you're doing recon, and try to approach the holiday in the context of the culture/pantheon you follow.

To run with the Yule-with-Kemetic-deities example, you could repurpose the holiday so that it fits with the Kemetic paradigm a little more closely. Frankly, I don't know how you'd do it with Yule, though. Other holidays, like Thanksgiving, are a little more universal, so it's easier to make modifications. Heck, even Easter is easier to "use" than Yule!

And of course, if you change things to fit, what you're celebrating is no longer Yule, and what you're doing is certainly not (recon) Kemeticism/whatever your religion is. (And at this point, a question must be raised: why go through with it, then?)

I also don't understand how Ra would fit in with Yule, let alone Aset. Ra's rebirth is daily, and I thought the rebirth referred to in the context of Yule was yearly?

I don't think the gods are overly concerned with our holidays so long as we don't abandon something we were supposed to do for them. I mean, don't neglect offerings or prayers, or whatever else you're obligated to do.

But yeah, mix-n-match is bad, mmm'kay? :ashamed:
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 08:33:05 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;32835
I'll be honest I never really understood trying to fit the Egyptian gods / goddesses into Yule.  Thier whole society to include thier divinities was built about a three quarter calander.  That calander basically marking the nile flood period and planting, harvesting of crops then the bad times when the Nile receeded and left the land foul and marshy.

I mean, for that matter, as far south as Egypt is--that is, as close to the Equator--the seasons are just plain different than they are way up north, and the notion that they'd mark the same evenly-spaced solar milestones with the same assumptions is just plain silly.  It's like Australians putting spray snow on things at Christmas even though it's a couple days after midsummer there.  Yule is a holiday that's not just based in Germanic-and-to-some-degree-Celtic culture, it's based on locality.  Celebrating a holiday that's built around environmental factors (like longer nights, increased cold, increased need to stay indoors with family and find ways to keep warm, reliance on food stores harvested a month or three before that have to be rationed out to make it until spring) just plum doesn't work when mashed up with cultures whose local environments are completely different, whose seasons function differently and at different times, etc.

It's like trying to apply the Chinese directional system to Europe (and vice versa), where the sea and the mountains are in the wrong directions, or a Southeast Asian monsoon-based seasonal system to Arizona.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Tags: