Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Is this what it feels like to connect with a god/dess?  (Read 1685 times)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Seeker
Is this what it feels like to connect with a god/dess?
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:18:50 pm »
I hope this is the proper place for this post, it seems to "fit" in several but since I am a beginner I thought perhaps best to start here.

If you read my first post, you may remember that I have been a Christian my entire life but have also been experiencing a draw to pagan practices and have had something of a longing to experience a feminine aspect of Deity.

I thought I would find the answer in folk Catholicism, particularly with St. Brigid and other saints I admire, but I recently read a little comment somewhere here on the forums about Frigga and it struck some sort of chord in me.

I began reading more about her and felt a connection that I frankly never have with the Christian saints. I think this is at least party simple psychology. I am currently a stay at home mom and have struggled with that, as it is not entirely by choice. It is what is best for my family, yet I am always a bit embarrassed when people ask me what I do because it doesn't feel like enough. Yet, here is a goddess of the home. Reading a bit about her changed how I feel about my current role in life. I now think about her often, and I find myself having more energy for keeping my home. I take more pride in my daily tasks instead of just getting through them. I am happier. I am more content. My family is running more smoothly.

I was also more than a little surprised to read on one article that her name means "Beloved," which of course is my username, chosen before ever knowing anything about her.

Is this what it feels like to start developing a relationship with a god/dess? Or just psychology of finding inspiration in a figure who gives purpose to my current situation?

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Is this what it feels like to connect with a god/dess?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:42:35 pm »
I hope this is the proper place for this post, it seems to "fit" in several but since I am a beginner I thought perhaps best to start here.

If you read my first post, you may remember that I have been a Christian my entire life but have also been experiencing a draw to pagan practices and have had something of a longing to experience a feminine aspect of Deity.

I thought I would find the answer in folk Catholicism, particularly with St. Brigid and other saints I admire, but I recently read a little comment somewhere here on the forums about Frigga and it struck some sort of chord in me.

I began reading more about her and felt a connection that I frankly never have with the Christian saints. I think this is at least party simple psychology. I am currently a stay at home mom and have struggled with that, as it is not entirely by choice. It is what is best for my family, yet I am always a bit embarrassed when people ask me what I do because it doesn't feel like enough. Yet, here is a goddess of the home. Reading a bit about her changed how I feel about my current role in life. I now think about her often, and I find myself having more energy for keeping my home. I take more pride in my daily tasks instead of just getting through them. I am happier. I am more content. My family is running more smoothly.

I was also more than a little surprised to read on one article that her name means "Beloved," which of course is my username, chosen before ever knowing anything about her.

Is this what it feels like to start developing a relationship with a god/dess? Or just psychology of finding inspiration in a figure who gives purpose to my current situation?

I guess it could be either one depending on what you believe, but I think what you are describing is often considered a deity “reaching out”. I personally believe that an unexplained, seemingly random interest in a god or goddess is not always a call from that particular deity but sometimes “what you need or they need from you at this time”. However, I think you probably won’t know the true meaning or intent until you get to know her better. For example, I have had a longer relationship with Brigid; however, I have felt calling to different deities at different times (particularly other goddesses). Some were temporary and some I felt we just to push me back to Brigid. Which sounds like maybe something similar has happened to you only with Frigga.

I also believe that the psychology  part is relative, it doesn’t make your experience any less real. The change you feel is real, your actions are real, and that’s all that matters to me.

But yes, I do think this is the beginning of a relationship; however, to what extent may not be clear right now. Keep working on getting to know her! :)
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:15:49 am »

Sounds about right. I was under very different circumstances when I first had contact with the divine, but it was a similar feeling of support and meaning.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:20:55 pm »

In my experience, those two options are not mutually exclusive. It makes sense that if a compatible Power should reach out to you (or if you should happen to find a Power who fits you), you'd feel a sense of inspiration that can be explained by "just psychology." Certainly much of my own joy in God comes from indulgent feelings about there being Someone Out There who connects with me just right.

But none of that means there isn't a real spiritual component to it--or, even if you haven't been tapped on the head by Frigga wielding a fairy wand just yet, that you can't develop a real relationship as time goes on.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:24 am »

Yes and yes. It could be either, given what you've said here - and that's fine! You can do some more exploration and see what happens.

A lot of times, deities will, as others have said, reach out at particular times. And just like making connections with other humans, that can happen in lots of different ways. Sometimes it's a really sudden obvious connection. Sometimes it's something that builds more slowly. Sometimes there's a steady progression of intimacy and depth in the relationship, sometimes it's more back and forth.

If you're interested in exploring, doing something like making a simple home shrine in your kitchen or somewhere else central in your home (where you spend a bunch of time) might be a good thing. Candle, bowl of water, suitable small items of offering (depending on your space and the deity), maybe a few images or a piece of jewelery or some beads or stones - it all depends! And then see what happens.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:45:58 pm »

Is this what it feels like to start developing a relationship with a god/dess? Or just psychology of finding inspiration in a figure who gives purpose to my current situati
on?
It's definitely a relationship with the Goddess! She brings out the best side of you! In my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:50:44 pm by arete »

crystalshop

• Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: him
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:16:11 pm »
Really so interesting!!! Yes!!! Keep knowing her!!

[Spam Sig Removed]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:30:59 am by RandallS »

Tags: