Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: In need of a simple earth-based . . . something.  (Read 2536 times)

Ayla

• View Profile
In need of a simple earth-based . . . something.
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner Pagan, still doing my studies on the history of Witchcraft and Paganism. I haven't done any spellwork yet because personally I like to take things slow and steady, and haven't studied about it yet. However, I find myself in a situation where I believe I need to work a little magick (or is in magic?? Raymond Buckland spells it with a K; I never really learned the difference).

I'm in school for holistic healing and so far after one term I have a 4.0 GPA. Right now we're learning about rhythmic compressions for body massage. I'm having a little trouble with it, and rhythm and pacing are an earth-centered thing, correct? What would be a good, simple earth-spell I could use to help myself become more comfortable and at home while learning and doing this?

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: In need of a simple earth-based . . . something.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:56:11 pm »
Quote from: Ayla;20922
I'm in school for holistic healing and so far after one term I have a 4.0 GPA. Right now we're learning about rhythmic compressions for body massage. I'm having a little trouble with it, and rhythm and pacing are an earth-centered thing, correct? What would be a good, simple earth-spell I could use to help myself become more comfortable and at home while learning and doing this?

I'm going to be completely honest: a spell isn't the way to go here. At least, not in the way you're thinking of it. By working a spell, your hands and mind won't suddenly be able to connect with one another even though they had failed to do so previously. When it comes to school things, doing a spell to impart the knowledge directly into your brain is a bad idea and probably won't work.

If you're not comfortable with the subject matter, you won't be. No matter what type of spell you cast, you just won't be. You can't force your very self to make a wide-sweeping change just because you think you should. And muttering a bunch of words isn't going to force it to happen in a snap of the fingers. Changing who you are and what you feel is a long-term kind of a thing.

However. If you really are dead set on casting a spell, then you should probably think about a spell to aid in studying/focus.

And let's keep in mind that you don't have to be perfect at everything, okay? ;)
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Ayla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:39:19 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;20994
I'm going to be completely honest: a spell isn't the way to go here. At least, not in the way you're thinking of it. By working a spell, your hands and mind won't suddenly be able to connect with one another even though they had failed to do so previously. When it comes to school things, doing a spell to impart the knowledge directly into your brain is a bad idea and probably won't work.

If you're not comfortable with the subject matter, you won't be. No matter what type of spell you cast, you just won't be. You can't force your very self to make a wide-sweeping change just because you think you should. And muttering a bunch of words isn't going to force it to happen in a snap of the fingers. Changing who you are and what you feel is a long-term kind of a thing.

However. If you really are dead set on casting a spell, then you should probably think about a spell to aid in studying/focus.

And let's keep in mind that you don't have to be perfect at everything, okay? ;)

Hmm, maybe I should have been more clear. I will try again.

I go to school for massage therapy. Right now we're learning rhythmic compressions. It takes a while to get comfortable doing it, for me and for everyone else in my class. I'm not necessarily UNcomfortable with it, but I need to get into the groove. Studying out of a book won't help, only practice will. I've never done rhythmic compressions before; it's something new. I was wondering if there are any earth-centered suggestions someone might have for me. If you think I should just give up, please keep that to yourself, if that's not asking too much. :)

I hope that's more clear.

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:46 am »
Quote from: Ayla;21472
If you think I should just give up, please keep that to yourself, if that's not asking too much. :)

I don't think SatSekhem was suggesting anything of the kind. But I agree that magic won't be much of a help in this situation. I'd suggest instead doing meditations or some other kind of centering technique to help you focus and calm before practicing your rhythmic compressions.

That said, if you really feel you need to do something with magic, do a blessing spell around your practice.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner Pagan, still doing my studies on the history of Witchcraft and Paganism. I haven't done any spellwork yet because personally I like to take things slow and steady, and haven't studied about it yet. However, I find myself in a situation where I believe I need to work a little magick (or is in magic?? Raymond Buckland spells it with a K; I never really learned the difference).

Correct me if I'm wrong -it's been a few years- but rhythmic compression is just a technique used to soften the muscle tissue before beginning a more specific therapy (usually according to the injury) deeper in the muscle, right? Try music...find a beat that is appropriate for the rhythm you want to use. (Different muscle masses need different speeds if I remember correctly)

You can try grounding before you start, if you are set on something magical/spiritual.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Ayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:16:26 am »
Quote from: hufflee;21515
Try music...find a beat that is appropriate for the rhythm you want to use. (Different muscle masses need different speeds if I remember correctly)

You can try grounding before you start, if you are set on something magical/spiritual.

Hmm. I might just have to try that. I think some drumming music (not too loud, of course, for the sake of my guinea-pig) could do wonders for me. Thanks for the advice. :)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:45 pm »
Quote from: Ayla;38686
Hmm. I might just have to try that. I think some drumming music (not too loud, of course, for the sake of my guinea-pig) could do wonders for me. Thanks for the advice. :)

I was going to suggest music too,and breathing,or using your own bodies beats as a starting place rhythm.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Ayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:34:24 am »
Quote from: spoOk;38843
I was going to suggest music too,and breathing,or using your own bodies beats as a starting place rhythm.

Thanks spoOk!

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:42 am »

Maybe it would help to look for a guide - a deity, animal or plant which could help you connect better to rhythmic work and inspire you. You could try to meditate on the subject and see if anything comes up, or you could draw an oracle or tarot card and look if you find any helpful message there.

You could also try to find a symbol or image for rhythmic compression and display it on your altar (if you have one) as a reminder of the wisdom behind this technique. If you work with it for a while you might find out what rhythmic compression means to you and how you can use your own strengths to find your own style.

Or you could research more about the tradition of rhythmic compression and try to understand it better.

I think any kind of meaningful connection you can find to it could open the door.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:15 am »
Quote from: Ayla;21472
Hmm, maybe I should have been more clear. I will try again.

I was wondering if there are any earth-centered suggestions someone might have for me. If you think I should just give up, please keep that to yourself, if that's not asking too much. :)

I hope that's more clear.

She wasn't telling you to give up.  SatSekhem was just suggesting a different route for your studies.  A spell to help you focus and study.  

My suggestion?  Do you have any Essential Oils?  Here's some good ones to simmer (or bottle some with a carrier oil and dab on your wrists when studying) while you are studying.  Rosemary, Lemon, Peppermint, Basil or Cypress. (3 drops of Rosemary and 2 drops of Lemon; 2 drops of Peppermint and 3 drops of Lemon; or 1 drop of Basil and 2 drops each of Rosemary and Cypress)

Personally, I would go with the essential oils.  It helped my daughter with her studies. :)

Tags: