Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Ideas about repurposing images for altars and shrines?  (Read 4898 times)

stellamaris777

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas about repurposing images for altars and shrines?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:20 am »
Quote from: Scales;142891
I haven't read the whole thread (yet) so I'm just going off this and first impressions.

If they are yours, and they're not passed down from the family, and it has that significance in the kitchen and stuff, I think the Madonna>Hestia would work (though I don't know Hestia). An icon of a lady with certain symbols could be any lady associated with those, in my book. If it was passed down, I'd say no, since it would be 'charged' as who it belonged as (and I would definitely respect that object both as a religious object and an heirloom).

ETA- Seeing your last post, I don't really have a problem with the items being used that way. As has been said, the idols don't contain the deities.

On the bit about your husband and incognito (this is assuming he doesn't know you're pagan at all)- you guys really need to have a talk. If you were just starting to research paganism I could let secrets and lies slide, since it could be starting a fight over something that ended up not actually interesting you, but if you already have two shrines, I'm assuming your beliefs are pagan already. If you can't tell him, you should probably be in marriage counselling, because something is wrong if half of a couple can't talk to the other about religion (either out of fear or embarrassment).

It's not that I have breached it and he just says he doesn't like the idea of everyone persecuting me for it and to please do what I want just don't wear it on my sleeve to keep his judgmental family from saying snide remarks. But I know it makes him kinda uncomfortable so I try to keep it all low key and out of sight if need be to spare his feelings, the most he's ever said is "why do you have to have flowers here or candles burning here, or that incense hurts my eyes" and I understand why he could be uncomfortable he was raised catholic. And I just try to avoid showing my beliefs due to the way this country is very unaccepting and being a gringa I get enough judgement and discrimination here already.

Tags: