collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: I'm more of a newbie than I thought  (Read 626 times)

Muir

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 3
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:00:28 am »
Ok, so I've said a number of times that I'm new to all of this, though I do have a number of gemstones (great-grandfather got me started collecting them when I was very young, actually), and some decent books available, mostly on symbols, herbs, stones, and oils. However, again as I'm new to this sort of lifestyle, I suppose my main question is this: what exactly should I do? Not necessarily on a daily thing (mostly because I'm too dang lazy to keep up with things every day, to be honest <.<;;; that and sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to do much else), but just in general, what would be recommended? I've tried meditating, but unfortunately I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be focusing on when I do so, and I typically wind up just blanking out for half an hour or so.
~The only thing constant is change.~

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10165
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 253
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:12 am »
Quote from: Muir;124497
However, again as I'm new to this sort of lifestyle, I suppose my main question is this: what exactly should I do? Not necessarily on a daily thing (mostly because I'm too dang lazy to keep up with things every day, to be honest <.<;;; that and sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to do much else), but just in general, what would be recommended?

What you need to do would vary with what Pagan religion you are following/interested in following. Pagan religions tend to be more about doing the correct practices as opposed to having the correct beliefs.

Quote
I've tried meditating, but unfortunately I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be focusing on when I do so, and I typically wind up just blanking out for half an hour or so.

Unfortunatelty the word "meditation" covers a large variety of similar practices. What you are doing sounds like one form of meditation (where one is trying to clear one's mind of all thought).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Viv

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 210
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:49 pm »
Quote from: Muir;124497
Ok, so I've said a number of times that I'm new to all of this, though I do have a number of gemstones (great-grandfather got me started collecting them when I was very young, actually), and some decent books available, mostly on symbols, herbs, stones, and oils. However, again as I'm new to this sort of lifestyle, I suppose my main question is this: what exactly should I do? Not necessarily on a daily thing (mostly because I'm too dang lazy to keep up with things every day, to be honest <.<;;; that and sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to do much else), but just in general, what would be recommended? I've tried meditating, but unfortunately I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be focusing on when I do so, and I typically wind up just blanking out for half an hour or so.

 
I'd recommend that you continue reading about the different aspects of Paganism and try to find what resonates with you. I know that for some people, being told to read, read, and read some more doesn't seem like a very helpful answer but it really is a great first step.

Here are a few Cauldron links that might help you get started: Pagan Primer; Articles; Books and Reviews
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

pennylane

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 12
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »
Quote from: Muir;124497
I've tried meditating, but unfortunately I don't really know exactly what I'm supposed to be focusing on when I do so, and I typically wind up just blanking out for half an hour or so.

 
As a beginner myself, I've had the best luck with guided meditations. You can find tons for free via podcast, and other sources on the web. My favorites are from the Meditation Oasis podcast (Mary and Richard Maddux). Hope this helps! I know how overwhelming it all can be staring out. Good luck!

Muir

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 3
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:52:09 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;124504
What you need to do would vary with what Pagan religion you are following/interested in following. Pagan religions tend to be more about doing the correct practices as opposed to having the correct beliefs.

 
Ah, sorry, I should've clarified. ^^; I'm starting out in Celtic Reconstructionalism, I didn't even know about it until recently and (that I'm aware of) nobody else in my area follows that, so it's a bit of a challenge to find my way, so to speak.

As for reading, I have been doing that, heh. I actually have some books at home, and I've been checking out things on this website and others, and occasionally pop over to the local book store or curiosity shop (which is actually where I got a few of my books) to read more. Thank you for the links, and thanks for the info on guided meditation!
~The only thing constant is change.~

Carla

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 59
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »
Quote from: Muir;124954
Ah, sorry, I should've clarified. ^^; I'm starting out in Celtic Reconstructionalism, I didn't even know about it until recently and (that I'm aware of) nobody else in my area follows that, so it's a bit of a challenge to find my way, so to speak.

As for reading, I have been doing that, heh. I actually have some books at home, and I've been checking out things on this website and others, and occasionally pop over to the local book store or curiosity shop (which is actually where I got a few of my books) to read more. Thank you for the links, and thanks for the info on guided meditation!

It sounds like we are in similar places. I went in search of something that resonated because something felt missing. I researched and followed all kinds of rabbit trails and just basically followed what felt natural to who I am and how my life is. I stumbled upon Heathenry and have since felt like it was what I have been looking for. I have been practically living as a Heathen (minus the formal recognition of the gods) for several years now and just started digging deeper.
I am now at the "now what" stage as I also don't have anyone nearby who shares my beliefs and am not sure exactly what to do next. I am just learning all I can and trying to trust the gods to guide me where I need to be. I feel the strongest pull toward Frigg (I am a wife and mother) and have just been trying to do things in my daily life that she might find pleasing. I think it is working, and I am just going to take it slow and let her be my guide.
I hope this helps a little. Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:27:35 pm by Carla »

Schuyler

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 52
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I'm more of a newbie than I thought
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »
Quote from: Muir;124954
Ah, sorry, I should've clarified. ^^; I'm starting out in Celtic Reconstructionalism, I didn't even know about it until recently and (that I'm aware of) nobody else in my area follows that, so it's a bit of a challenge to find my way, so to speak.

 
Even if you are not intending on following the Irish tradition, this is a great blog post for beginners, laying out a study program. The CR FAQ is also a great resource.

Good luck on your journey!

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
1423 Views
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:16:16 pm
by Arcadia
11 Replies
2895 Views
Last post March 12, 2012, 07:05:43 pm
by theistgal
8 Replies
1202 Views
Last post July 24, 2012, 10:58:02 pm
by RandallS
2 Replies
2281 Views
Last post May 21, 2014, 07:45:04 am
by RandallS
4 Replies
1317 Views
Last post February 01, 2015, 04:35:18 pm
by Gitana

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall