collapse

Author Topic: How to start following one god in particular  (Read 4232 times)

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: How to start following one god in particular
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;69389
A lot of good advice has been given already, especially what Nibblekat said about how you can honour him at doorways and boundaries, not just crossroads. I'd just like to add that a nice way to follow any deity is to just set up a shrine to him/her where you can pray and make offerings. Generally speaking, all you really need is a flame, an incense holder, and an image of the deity (statue, picture, or a symbol of some kind). It can be a simple as you want it to be.

You can leave offerings at thresholds, boundaries, and crossroads, but still have a personal shrine where you commune with him more regularly. Setting up a stone herm at the crossroads is a great idea, and you can go there and make a libation when no one else is around.

Carnelian summed up what I do, pretty much.  I have an altar at the foot of my bed. I've got three statues on it; one I made to Sirona, a clay one someone made for me for Sequana, and then this one for Hermes:  http://www.somaluna.com/prod/hermes_statue.asp

Then I have a glass container filled with sand so that I can feel safe about lighting incense (the wooden boats are a fire hazard), and the container nicely catches the ashes that fall down, so I have less of a dusty, nasty mess to take care of.  

As for a flame, I have three different candles devoted to each god; since I have trouble honoring them all at once, I set aside one day for Hermes, the next for Sirona, the next for Sequana, and then I rotate through the month like that, back to back-- the candles are different colors, each representing the different deities.  Only having Hermes to worry about, you'd only want (obviously) one candle. (Although I do have a tall, blue taper candle for special occasions... er... fertility type occasions. If... you follow my drift.)

Normally, if I do anything for him outside, it's pouring out some sort of drink to him before I take a long trip, or if I'm on the road/in a parking lot, I'll toss out a few coins (folks can find them and "recycle" them that way).  I just don't do a lot of stuff outside for him.  I honor him much, much more inside than I would outside...
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Colloquielle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;69398
Normally, if I do anything for him outside, it's pouring out some sort of drink to him before I take a long trip, or if I'm on the road/in a parking lot, I'll toss out a few coins (folks can find them and "recycle" them that way).  I just don't do a lot of stuff outside for him.  I honor him much, much more inside than I would outside...

All right, I was just asking about crossroads and the like because I enjoy spending time outside.  I live on an island city with lots of parks and a bird sanctuary.

Quote from: NibbleKat;69386
My advice is to do a little more research.  Do a little more asking and listening at the altar.  See what you get from that, and see if you feel like honoring the entire pantheon is what you are called by them to do, or if it's just Hermes for you.

Ah, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I make an altar, and how do I ask gods questions at it?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:17 am »
Quote from: Colloquielle;69839
Ah, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I make an altar, and how do I ask gods questions at it?

This is not a dumb question.  However, before considering making an altar, I'd suggest just speaking (aloud or silently) to the god in question.  You may not need an altar as a tool - some people use them, and some don't.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 11:51:56 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;69928
This is not a dumb question.  However, before considering making an altar, I'd suggest just speaking (aloud or silently) to the god in question.  You may not need an altar as a tool - some people use them, and some don't.

Ditto to this! Just because it's right for me, doesn't mean it's right for you. I just didn't want you to think that you HAVE to do everything outside! :)

I have a friend who does mostly do things outside, however;  it's what's right for you.  Don't feel the need to immediately set up an altar-- but if you do, come and ask again, and folks here will be glad to help!

As for me, my altar is an old telephone stand. :) I like the implied communication it gives from its former function. Heehee.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Tags: