"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: How to elements  (Read 2209 times)

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
How to elements
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
How do you find out which element you are connected with?  I have done my spiritual journy tarot reading with my faery wicca cards and they mentioned air and water.  Anny suggestions of how to find out?
                                           The spirit in me salutes the spirit in you
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to elements
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »
Quote from: millergrls;86058
How do you find out which element you are connected with?  I have done my spiritual journy tarot reading with my faery wicca cards and they mentioned air and water.  Anny suggestions of how to find out?

I'm not sure what you mean. Some zodiac signs are aligned with different elements, but I thought people were connected to them all.

If you want to get a feel for them each, it would be beneficial to know what kind of path you are on because there are differences between paths. My mother considers metals as a 6th element for example. Once you figure how many elements you want to consider and know what they are, why not try exploring each with as many senses as you can. Observe them in action. Create with them. Meditate on them. Each separately and then together in combos and then together as a whole. Figure out what they mean to you. What thoughts and feelings they evoke in you. Pretend you are each element and see how your reactions change if they do. Maybe interpret their dynamics with physical movements? If you have a specific path and pantheon, researching how the elements are regarded and used within that could be very useful.

Maybe after some time dedicated to this, you will find a preference. There may be traditions where people are connected to one element only, I do not know.

Good luck.

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:51 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;86066
I'm not sure what you mean. Some zodiac signs are aligned with different elements, but I thought people were connected to them all.

If you want to get a feel for them each, it would be beneficial to know what kind of path you are on because there are differences between paths. My mother considers metals as a 6th element for example. Once you figure how many elements you want to consider and know what they are, why not try exploring each with as many senses as you can. Observe them in action. Create with them. Meditate on them. Each separately and then together in combos and then together as a whole. Figure out what they mean to you. What thoughts and feelings they evoke in you. Pretend you are each element and see how your reactions change if they do. Maybe interpret their dynamics with physical movements? If you have a specific path and pantheon, researching how the elements are regarded and used within that could be very useful.

Maybe after some time dedicated to this, you will find a preference. There may be traditions where people are connected to one element only, I do not know.
Good luck.

This is somewhat what I read.

Many Pagans find themselves connecting with one specific element in nature, be it earth, air, fire, or water. But one big question from beginner Pagans is how to "find out your element".

I am trying to find the right path, and figure out where I should begin in my learning and my practice.  I am reading a book right now and I am almost done, and am just trying to grasp  where I should start, what i should try first ect.

I think I will take your advice.   I will meditate on each element and read up on them some more, and I will see which ones pulls to me the most.

Thank you:)
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:54:36 pm »

The idea that people are strongly associated with a particular element (and especially the part that that should be a driving part of their practice) is a really modern thing - the movie The Craft is to blame for a fair bit of it.

A number of witchcraft paths, including many variants of Wicca, feel that you need to have a balance between different elements. My own training suggested that most people have one element (sometimes two) they are particularly at home with - that using that element can be a hook for learning specific techniques, or tailoring approaches. Two elements are usually comfortable, but a bit more work/less intuitive. And often one is a bit harder.

However, to actually develop as a 'mature' practitioner of the path, many paths require you to get over that, and learn how to balance things out. You'll still always have that one element that's a bit easier, but the idea is to bring the others up, until you are nearly as comfortable working with them, calling on their powers, effects, associations, etc. in ritual.

This is not a quick process - for most people, even people working regularly with a group who can set up situations that encourage growth in the elements they have a harder time with (this is a place that a group or teacher can be extremely effective) - it can take a couple of years. My own training, we started early on, but we did a great deal with it in our second degree training, over a period of 6-8 months. (That would have been after a total of a couple of years of regular training and group work.)

So, back to you. Knowing what elements you're more naturally inclined to can be helpful. But it should not - for most paths out there - be a deciding factor. It's more like knowing whether you learn best by reading, or by a lecture or by trying something out - one of those may be true, but you're a better (and more flexible!) learner overall if you can learn from all three of them, not just one.

In terms of learning about paths, many Pagan paths are about shared practices, so a good starting place is "What kinds of things do you wish to do? Ritual? Magic? Daily life stuff? Larger scale stuff?" Lots of paths make use of the same tools, as well (divination, for example).

You might also find my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking to be of use.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;86066

Good luck.

This. We are all tied to every element in different ways. There are certain points in life, certain events, where I've felt more attuned to different elements in their own right, but ultimately connected to all with no real preference over another.

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;86084
The idea that people are strongly associated with a particular element (and especially the part that that should be a driving part of their practice) is a really modern thing - the movie The Craft is to blame for a fair bit of it.

A number of witchcraft paths, including many variants of Wicca, feel that you need to have a balance between different elements. My own training suggested that most people have one element (sometimes two) they are particularly at home with - that using that element can be a hook for learning specific techniques, or tailoring approaches. Two elements are usually comfortable, but a bit more work/less intuitive. And often one is a bit harder.

However, to actually develop as a 'mature' practitioner of the path, many paths require you to get over that, and learn how to balance things out. You'll still always have that one element that's a bit easier, but the idea is to bring the others up, until you are nearly as comfortable working with them, calling on their powers, effects, associations, etc. in ritual.

This is not a quick process - for most people, even people working regularly with a group who can set up situations that encourage growth in the elements they have a harder time with (this is a place that a group or teacher can be extremely effective) - it can take a couple of years. My own training, we started early on, but we did a great deal with it in our second degree training, over a period of 6-8 months. (That would have been after a total of a couple of years of regular training and group work.)

So, back to you. Knowing what elements you're more naturally inclined to can be helpful. But it should not - for most paths out there - be a deciding factor. It's more like knowing whether you learn best by reading, or by a lecture or by trying something out - one of those may be true, but you're a better (and more flexible!) learner overall if you can learn from all three of them, not just one.

In terms of learning about paths, many Pagan paths are about shared practices, so a good starting place is "What kinds of things do you wish to do? Ritual? Magic? Daily life stuff? Larger scale stuff?" Lots of paths make use of the same tools, as well (divination, for example).

You might also find my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking to be of use.

I will definately check out this website.  I definately grasp you post, you need to have balance of the four elements though one might come easier than the others.  I will write down all of the things that I wish to do.  For starters, I love working with crystals, especially during meditation, I believe in god, but I also believe that there is more than just one god.  I love to raise my energies and vibrations and have been connecting with spirits.  I would love to tune into this more so that I could help others.
Any further advice I am open too, than you.  I will work on all you said tomorrow, I actually have the day off.:)
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;86087
This. We are all tied to every element in different ways. There are certain points in life, certain events, where I've felt more attuned to different elements in their own right, but ultimately connected to all with no real preference over another.

Balance.......................................... .....................................:)
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:53 pm »
Quote from: millergrls;86102
Balance...............................................................................:)

Precisely. :)

Mystical Dawn

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:16 pm »

I find it very helpful to study your Zodiac birthdate...If you are an aquarian your sign would be water,Aries fire, etc. Also it will give an idea of your element what your are conected with. Also, yourr color and what planet you are conected with.If you have a candle magic book( I have one by Richard Webster) The book is very helpful in explaining all of these.

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »
Quote from: Mystical Dawn;86363

I find it very helpful to study your Zodiac birthdate...If you are an aquarian your sign would be water,Aries fire, etc. Also it will give an idea of your element what your are conected with. Also, yourr color and what planet you are conected with.If you have a candle magic book( I have one by Richard Webster) The book is very helpful in explaining all of these.

Candle magic book.....I will have to write that down.  I check aries which of course it is what you said fire, but I feel drawn more to mother earth and water.  But I am going to work on balancing it all at first I think and then after that see which one pulls to me the most.  Thank You!!!  So helpfull.:)
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:07:33 pm »

Aquarius is an air sign.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:08:00 pm by Annie Roonie »

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:51:18 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;86383
Aquarius is an air sign.

Beat me to it. Despite being "the water bearer" Aquarius is in fact an air sign. And it's my star sign. ;)

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »

Doing a natal chart can be helpful too. If you have a predominance of say Air signs in the various houses

I am a Scorpio which is water and an abundance of Scorpio, Pisces and with a smattering of Aqurius, Leo and Capricorn.

Very much water, with a little air, fire and earth.

Phouka
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:15:36 pm by Phouka »

millergrls

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:37 am »
Quote from: Phouka;87386
Doing a natal chart can be helpful too. If you have a predominance of say Air signs in the various houses

I am a Scorpio which is water and an abundance of Scorpio, Pisces and with a smattering of Aqurius, Leo and Capricorn.

Very much water, with a little air, fire and earth.

Phouka

I will try that,thank you.
                                                                Blessed Be
                                                                     Mary

Tags: