Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: How long did it take  (Read 3385 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: How long did it take...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »
Quote from: SweetVanity;70381
truth! It was such incredible culture shock.  I mean back home, I went to Mass, drum circles, yoga, Reiki shares, moon ceremonies, and still celebrated the holidays in the Roman Catholic tradition.  Nobody that I ever met -- either in my pagan circles or Catholic ones-- ever really batted an eyelash.  

Here, I'm not allowed in one of my husband's coworkers houses anymore because her husband freaked out when I brought her valerian root extract and lavender chamomile tea because she'd been in a car accident and was having anxiety and trouble sleeping.

For me, the shock came when there were a few people willing to be open-minded. Turns out one of my friends who is now reborn actually has a Wiccan tattoo. That's terrible, to be not allowed to visit a house just because you wanted to help. That's one of the things I liked about the pagan community, they're willing to look outside of modern medicine for help.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

randomheathen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 02:27:34 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;70238
For you to move to your chosen pagan path? When did you know that you had let go of whatever religion you had prior to your current one?

I know that spirituality is a personal and continuous journey, what I wanted to know long did it take for you to admit (at least to yourself) that you were pagan (substitute what you would like)?

I've been reading, thinking and doing a lot of mediating for two years now. But when someone asks me what I believe in, I don't say anything or if they really press, I say God. I've come to realise I am afraid. My friends are all Christians and some of them are very close-minded. I guess I'm afraid to admit that I don't believe what they believe.

Is this a common feeling to have?

Separating myself from a previous religion wasn't the hard part for me, since I declared myself atheist when I was 5 (which led to some... unhappy times in elementary school, to to put it delicately). My biggest problem was being able to actually have some semblance of faith in something, simply because of the bad connotations my subconscious had associated with religion.
Once I had realized that my problems were with organized religion rather than theism, I think the switch to heathenry came pretty quickly.

I live in the bible belt, but in a fairly tolerant area, so I don't really feel the need to hide. I don't shout it from the rooftops, but I do wear my hammer openly on the outside of my shirt, even at work. Nobody bats an eyelash, because they either don't recognize it or aren't bothered by it. If religion comes up in a conversation, I can usually state that I'm not atheist and let people assume what they will. Half of my coworkers had me pegged as Catholic before they were informed otherwise, funnily enough.
That awkward moment when someone calls you a godless heathen. :hdsk:

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »
Quote from: Vale;70258
Many years.

A whole decade, to be more precise.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
For you to move to your chosen pagan path?

It's taken me almost two years to be comfortable enough with "witch" to use that as a descriptor, but so far eclectic and maybe hedge is about it. I figure it will change one day too. I am not in a rush.

When did you know that you had let go of whatever religion you had prior to your current one?

I formally left the Catholic church in the 5th grade by refusing to be confirmed. There was a bit of a scandal about it and we had a meeting with a priest at our house. But I felt that if god were real he would know that I had my doubts and I didn't want to offend him, so I stuck to my guns. It was all adults and me. Luckily my mother asked the priest to leave when I started crying with all the badgering.

I know that spirituality is a personal and continuous journey, what I wanted to know long did it take for you to admit (at least to yourself) that you were pagan (substitute what you would like)?

Back then anybody that wasn't Catholic the nuns called heathens. So I figured I was a heathen in about the 4th grade. I didn't know from pagan then.

Just in the last couple of years I have known what to call myself, but have known what I was for many years.

I've come to realise I am afraid. My friends are all Christians and some of them are very close-minded. I guess I'm afraid to admit that I don't believe what they believe.

This has to be common. That fear. I have it at work sometimes, but since I don't bring my faith into conversations, the fear is limited. The few friends I have are all of different faiths and philosophies, so it just fascinates us all when someone talks about something new or some self discovery etc. The new friends I make seem to be cool with all sorts of ideas. I am very lucky.

I understand where you are coming from and I think things will change for you comfort wise. I hope it anyway!

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 07:10:09 pm »
For you to move to your chosen pagan path? When did you know that you had let go of whatever religion you had prior to your current one?

I've been reading, thinking and doing a lot of mediating for two years now. But when someone asks me what I believe in, I don't say anything or if they really press, I say God. I've come to realise I am afraid. My friends are all Christians and some of them are very close-minded. I guess I'm afraid to admit that I don't believe what they believe.

I think I kind of knew I wasn't really Christian al along.  I didn't even know of any othr religion than Christianity til around d6th grade when a few new kids came to school (Muslim and HIndu)! My curiosity started from there...  I think it's hard to completely ignore Christianity in Norh America, I think, as it's the main religion in this continent!  I still have a fascination to rosaries and recite one to feel a connection to my maternal grandmother!  I don't think (for me) I'd have to give that part of me up, as it's a positive aspect.  I think it's when I was in the spiritualist church (in my 20's) that I knew that christianity didn't fit anymore.  I left that church as it was an 'almost, but not quite' feeling...  

I don't think you'd have to dump the christian friends just yet!  They could still be a support system for you, even though the religion won't/isn't the same.  You won't have to let anyone know your beliefs (that's between you and your own god/goddeess/whatever you'll be calling it).  I think that every peace loving religion has something to learn and teach others, so why not learn about your new religion and express to others what you're new perspective is?  

I've felt a bit closed in  about telling others that are more closed minded at first.  I just kept my viewpoints to myself and some of them find were surpised that I was celtic reconstructionist when they did find out (I didn't think about my Bridhid altar in my living room when I invited them to my apt on the spur of the moment).  As they knew me for over 10 years, they knew me as a person and got over the shock.  They're mature and have still kept the friendship with me with no change in the negative.  They just won't come to my apt again...  Obviously it's something they're not comfortable with but that's fine.  We just stay off the topic of religion.  Hope this rambling helps!

ashleyzelda

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:53 pm »

I'm still in the broom closet too! I think it's a really common feeling to have.
I broke away from my family's standard Catholicism when I was young, maybe about 12, and considered myself agnostic for a few years before I found Wicca.
When people ask what religion I am, I shy away from the question, but end up answering that I'm Pagan. The word "wicca" has so many negative connotations I'm scared to tell people that's what I believe.

I'd really just recommend talking to others who share your views in real life or online. Even since I joined this forum a bit over a month ago, I feel a lot better taking the path I'm on.

Tags: