collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 17 September 2020: $535 donated. Only $175 more need! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: How does a deity know you made a shrine/altar/offering to them?  (Read 1659 times)

Raini

• View Profile
How does a deity know you made a shrine/altar/offering to them?
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »
Hi!

So, today is pretty much day one for me.

So, I woke up this morning, and - not knowing what else to do - placed some cool water as an offering while I basically said "Good morning".

Lucky for me, the pillars I placed have candle holders at the top, and since I don't really have any candles at the moment, I just poured it in there. I'm thinking of putting some chocochips as an offering as well.

Anyhow! Does Aphrodite even know I've made something for her? I read somewhere that you need to light a candle otherwise it's like the shrine/altar/offering doesn't exist, is that true? Because I won't have any candles until thursday ._.

Also, I heard that vanilla scented things are liked by Aphrodite. Could I maybe give her a vanilla bean as an offering?

Thanks in advance <3

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: How does a deity know you made a shrine/altar/offering to them?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:45:28 pm »
Quote from: Raini;137812
Anyhow! Does Aphrodite even know I've made something for her?

I think deities definitely notice when we dedicate things to them, whether it's short prayer or cool water or even just a passing thought. They notice these things; that's why a lot of newbies may get encouraged to start a relationship with a deity by making offerings.

I read somewhere that you need to light a candle otherwise it's like the shrine/altar/offering doesn't exist, is that true? Because I won't have any candles until thursday ._.

I'm calling bs on that. It may be that certain traditions have rules about candles and what constitutes a "real" offering, but to say in general that "you need fire to make a shrine" is very... dismissive and silly, in my opinion. Fire is an offering. So is water. So are cookies. So is prayer.

Also, I heard that vanilla scented things are liked by Aphrodite. Could I maybe give her a vanilla bean as an offering?

With startling few exceptions, I think that most deities will accept almost anything as an offering, if it's given sincerely and in good faith. Particularly if it's being offered by a newbie trying to figure out this whole religion thing. :) A vanilla bean is a precious commodity (have you seen the prices on that thing???) and is used to make things that are pleasurable and bring joy, so I think that would definitely be a good Aphrodite offering.

Some traditions "revert" the offerings (meaning after placing them on the altar for a period of time, the offerings are consumed if edible) while others do not. I don't know if there's a "Greek" way of doing things, but you can use the vanilla bean later in baking, or to make really delicious vanilla sugar. (It takes a long time, but you're left with vanilla flavored sugar!!!!) That can also be part of the offering process too. I've offered deities the ingredients of bread before going to bake it and then offer that to them as well... and then eaten the bread and offered my joy and full belly.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
How does a deity know you made a shrine/altar/offering to them?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »
Hi!

So, today is pretty much day one for me.

So, I woke up this morning, and - not knowing what else to do - placed some cool water as an offering while I basically said "Good morning".

Lucky for me, the pillars I placed have candle holders at the top, and since I don't really have any candles at the moment, I just poured it in there. I'm thinking of putting some chocochips as an offering as well.

Anyhow! Does Aphrodite even know I've made something for her? I read somewhere that you need to light a candle otherwise it's like the shrine/altar/offering doesn't exist, is that true? Because I won't have any candles until thursday ._.

Thanks in advance <3

My own experience has been that Deities take notice when you begin focusing your thoughts on setting up a space for them. Gradually finding the right items and setting up the space can be just as much a part of the ritual as sitting down and lighting a candle and chanting or offering prayers.

Why not consider sitting in your quiet safe space and asking Aphrodite to guide you to what She would like on Her altar. Then allow yourself to explore. It's probable you won't get a flashing neon message listing out exactly what you need,   but thoughts and feelings may come, and you may find the items She wants start showing up where you can access them.

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
Re: How does a deity know you made a shrine/altar/offering to them?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:28 pm »

Other people have already covered most of your questions, so I'll just add in my own thoughts...

If I'm unsure if a god or spirit has noticed I'm reaching out by setting up a shrine, I'll usually speak aloud. Actually, I've gotten so used to it now that most of my prayers are aloud, and when I make a new shrine or space I just identify who it is for and why I've made it. Sometimes I'll add other details - how long it'll be up, if it's for a specific holy day, etc. Speaking aloud also helps me feel more obligation to take care of the space than if I just set it up and wandered off, but YMMV. It also helps me feel more sure a god or spirit has noticed that I'm reaching out.

Tags: