Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: help finding a religio like  (Read 1655 times)

wormgiy

• View Profile
help finding a religio like
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:47 am »
hello all, I am looking for a religion that has the things listed .A original being that started it all. Has many spirits or beings. nothing is set in stone because stuff can change. Good can come from chaos because chaos is neither good or evil. A afterlife. Science is real. Men and women are equal. humans have souls .Skin color does not matter.
pls help
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:09:11 am by wormgiy »

wormgiy

• View Profile
Re: help finding a religio like.....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:57:22 am »
Quote from: wormgiy;198610
humans have souls .

However animals having souls is very unlikely.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:58:44 am by wormgiy »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:24:03 am »
hello all, I am looking for a religion that has the things listed .A original being that started it all. Has many spirits or beings. nothing is set in stone because stuff can change. Good can come from chaos because chaos is neither good or evil. A afterlife. Science is real. Men and women are equal. humans have souls .Skin color does not matter.
pls help

Welcome!

Most Pagan religions are about shared practices more than shared beliefs (it's entirely possible to have people doing ritual together who believe different things about how the world works, the nature of deity, what happens after you die, and so on.) So it might help people if you can suggest kinds of practices that interest you or don't interest you.

It's also possible that there's no one out there with a religion exactly like what you want - that's true for a lot of people who identify as Pagan. If you read through the forum, you'll see lots of different ways people deal with this in their own practice.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:33:00 am »
hello all, I am looking for a religion that has the things listed .A original being that started it all. Has many spirits or beings. nothing is set in stone because stuff can change. Good can come from chaos because chaos is neither good or evil. A afterlife. Science is real. Men and women are equal. humans have souls .
pls help

Well, I'm going to be biased here, and tell you about my favourite pantheon. Norse mythology - because I feel it fits with what you want. Note that this is a very, VERY VERY rough explanation. (note the disclaimer at the end though). Also note, that most pagan religions sing the same sort of tune.
(also a liiiitttle bit of prior knowledge is required for my explanation. Nothing a 15 minute Google study sesh can't fix.)

An original being that started it all:
The Jotun (frost giant) Yimir was the start off the universe. He was floating around in the void, until he created his own children, the first Jotuns - who eventually killed him and created the world with his body.

Many spirits/beings:
Norse mythology has the AEsir - the main Gods and the Vanir, a sect of fertility Gods. They also have giants, elves, dark elves/dwarves, the sea serpent Jormungandr, Fenrir-wolf, Hel and Valkyries, who - along with the human race, live within Yggdrasil - the world tree.
I dont think there's any evidence to suggest the old Norse actually worshiped anyone but the Gods and ancestors (and possibly deceased Kings).      

Nothing set in stone:
The Norse were very realistic people. I dont think they believed anything about human life was set in stone (the God's however, eventually meet their expected demise - as prophecy foretells)
There are also 3 "Norns" who know everyone's past, present and future. They weave a tapestry with each thread being every life on Earth - every thread had a beginning and an end. However the Norse people were not overly superstitious or tired to read into such things.

Good can come from chaos:
Before the Jotun trickster, Loki succumbs to more devious behaviour, he is often the one who starts the sagas of the Edda's (staple Norse texts - stories of the Gods). They normally start off with him doing something stupid and chaotic - gets the rest of the Gods in deep shit - and manages to save the day. Think of him as Jack Sparrow, first you're like "you are the worst trickster I ever heard of" and 10 minutes later you're like "you are the best trickster I ever heard of!".
It's because of Loki-induced chaos that Thor gets his hammer!

Afterlife:
Well. There's much debate on this. Many sources will tell you that the ones who die honourable deaths, go to Valhalla (Odin's hall) and fight each other every day in preparation for Ragnarok (the war that ends the world). The remaining souls go to Hel (the underworld).
However, this isn't the case. Odin only claims half the honourable dead as his - the other half go to the goddess Freja in the meadows of Folkvangr and do... pretty much the same thing.

There is also talk of Nilhel - a torturous afterlife, along the likes of the Christian Hell.
There is ALSO talk of Helgafjel (holy mountain), where it is assumed the dead go to to eat and drink with their ancestors and carry on living eternally without any threats.
There are also sagas which suggested the belief of the "undead". Corpses who live on in their tombs.

But according to my studies, the Norse people were more about the "here and now" and didn't devote too much time pondering on the afterlife like Christians typically do.

Science:
As all pagans, the Norse used their Gods to explain things that science explains for us now. Neo-pagans obviously know this truth (though some individuals you'll find are a bit clouded), and work their beliefs around science, and see things like lightning, rainbows etc, as a natural occurrence rather than a supernatural occurrence.
If prayers, rituals/worship doesn't tickle your scientific fancy - there are many people called "pantheist pagans" who see the universe as purely scientific - but practice paganism for psychological or ancestral reasons, and as a way to worship the Earth simply for what it is. Having said that, many pantheists still work with rituals etc, but their reasons for that may vary from your traditional pagans.

Neo-Norse Pagans, typically call their religion "Asatru". Some people view their Gods as physical entities from another dimension, some other's see the God's only as symbols of either nature or the human mind.
You will also find that many Norse Re-constructionist group or some members of the "Asatru" are quite elitist in their beliefs, in that anyone interested in the religion without Northern European ancestry have their motives questioned. I've seen a comment on the Asatru forum that anyone attempting to practice Asatru without the intent to reconstruct are pagans using "less history - more patchouli".

But on this forum you will find people are more relaxed about that kinda stuff, and will help you mold your own beliefs with or without such a cut-out structure.

The disclaimer: You will find most pagan paths will more-or-less cover all the elements you want. In the end, it's going to be about what YOU feel comfortable with - whether you stick to one pantheon or pick and chose.
I've known my comfort zone since a very young age, I personally would never delve into another pantheon. I recommend you do some basic research on the Norse/Hellenic/Kemetic/Celtic/Shaman/Wiccan/whatever beliefs, and work your way up from there. This forum is a good place to see just how diverse people's belief's are.

If you want any references to my explanations, or more info, let me know.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:36:23 am »
Quote from: wormgiy;198614
However animals having souls is very unlikely.

You've got to either expand your mind or how you explain things.
Just because you believe it's unlikely doesn't mean it is or isn't. There's no hard, scientific evidence of souls existing in animals OR people. Therefore the concept of the soul is subjective.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Tags: