Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: HELP!!  (Read 3253 times)

IdiotPagan

• View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
HELP!!
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:46:30 am »
Hello!
I have a Deity calling out to me, but I have no clue Who it is. All I know is that They have a strong connection to hyenas and a less strong one to foxes. I already am working with Artemis, but I believe in Hellenistic, Egyptian, and some others. I have done LOTS of research but nothing is coming up. All I can find is something from DeviantArt which isn't an actual Deity.

Please help, thanks!
Blessed be   :)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 04:06:17 am »
Hello!
I have a Deity calling out to me, but I have no clue Who it is. All I know is that They have a strong connection to hyenas and a less strong one to foxes. I already am working with Artemis, but I believe in Hellenistic, Egyptian, and some others. I have done LOTS of research but nothing is coming up. All I can find is something from DeviantArt which isn't an actual Deity.

Please help, thanks!

Is there some particular reason that you must know who is calling you? And, if there is, how would you verify that identity? (You can hardly check their photo ID...)

I'm a Christian, not a pagan, but I have been around this board long enough to learn that quite a number of those who report fulfilling divine relationships also report that the entities in question were and in some cases still are very reticent about sharing their actual identities. I myself was completely in the dark about a very real contact with my God for five full years...and this was after a face to face encounter.

Are you ready to pledge this entity your undying devotion and love? Might be a bit premature...you'd hardly be that easy if we were talking mutual attraction between humans, would you? (And, if you were, you might well scare that special someone off!) Suggestion: Just go with it and see where it leads. Enjoy the mystery while it lasts...think of it as divine "flirting."
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

IdiotPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 04:41:44 am »
Is there some particular reason that you must know who is calling you? And, if there is, how would you verify that identity? (You can hardly check their photo ID...)

I'm a Christian, not a pagan, but I have been around this board long enough to learn that quite a number of those who report fulfilling divine relationships also report that the entities in question were and in some cases still are very reticent about sharing their actual identities. I myself was completely in the dark about a very real contact with my God for five full years...and this was after a face to face encounter.

Are you ready to pledge this entity your undying devotion and love? Might be a bit premature...you'd hardly be that easy if we were talking mutual attraction between humans, would you? (And, if you were, you might well scare that special someone off!) Suggestion: Just go with it and see where it leads. Enjoy the mystery while it lasts...think of it as divine "flirting."

I would love to know because then I could hopefully worship Them and work with Them correctly. Another reason is that They reached out to me, not the other way around. I could verify with my pendulum.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:24:45 am »
I would love to know because then I could hopefully worship Them and work with Them correctly. Another reason is that They reached out to me, not the other way around. I could verify with my pendulum.

How can you be certain that the worship and service you would offer is really what they want NOW? For the Greek pantheon, as an example, our "best" and most accessible information could be two or three thousand years out of date! Things do change over time, you know. It's possible that this personality is less than forthcoming specifically because he or she wishes to make a fresh start, without the encumbrances of the past or your established expectations.

If this truly is a deity calling to you then he or she should be quite capable of communicating clearly once the time is right. Mine did.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:14:02 am »

Hello there.

I think you've been given some stuff to think about already in the previous posts.  My immediate thoughts are as follows:

You're already working with Artemis, and can probably assume that Artemis is aware you're being contacted by another deity (or if you've any doubts about that, then you might want to bring it up in your interactions with Artemis). 

So if it were me, I'd say to continue with what you're already doing, and then alongside that explore practices such as meditation, for example, to work on getting closer to figuring out who the new deity is.  You might even approach Artemis for some help with working this out.  As mentioned to you previously, take your time with it and enjoy the journey.  The relationship with the new deity will likely be more fulfilling if you work toward it rather than getting your answers immediately without much in the way of effort.

You might also try some browsing and even some searches around here, as there are almost certainly some ideas and possibly even resources to be found in previous similar threads.

Good luck with it.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 10:46:22 am »

Sometimes research isn't the answer. (And I say this as someone who is a librarian...)

One of my primary deity commitments is with a goddess I've been honouring and serving and working with for twenty years, and I still do not have a ton of research-friendly information to go on. (A very specific floral scent that's hard to pin down: these days I'm pretty sure it's one of the ones that's very hard to do a synthetic for, so identifying it is going to depend on me wandering by that plant in bloom sometime. An image. A few bits from dreams and meditations. Nothing remotely like a name.)

I am pretty sure she's one of the many British goddesses of water, but which one? Does she have a name that survived, even? Who knows.

That does not, however, stop me having a meaningful practice. I took the stuff I did know, and used that when I wanted to create something that honoured her. I can't do the precise scent (because I don't know exactly what it is), but I figured out she also likes white roses, some other scented flowers. Having water on my shrine is often important.

Doing the stuff she wants me to do the world is even more important: through some ongoing ritual work (with some help from other people with different skillsets than mine) helped me figure that part out better, and that's the part that actually matters.

In your case, those two animals give you a way to narrow down geographically a fair bit (hyenas don't exactly live everywhere...) From that, you could figure out generally agreeable offerings that might work (cool water is a common one for that part of the world...) and you could make offerings and see what happened.

Don't make promises or long-term commitments to a deity you're not sure of, but a "Hi, I'm making this offering, I'm interested in learning more about you." and making some regular time in your life (meditation, ritual, art, etc.) where that might happen are often a good starting place. As you have specific questions ("Do you like this thing as an offering? Do you prefer this thing or this thing?") then using divination might give you some guidance, too.

And then give it some time. With any deity, the 'getting to know' process probably shouldn't be super short (some people fall in love with other humans at first meeting, and make things work, but I think we probably all know that the ones that work out long term take a bit more time to be sure, right?) But deities both work on a different time scale than we do, and when we don't have a name or research, the process of getting a feel of what makes sense just generally takes longer. This is a probably a "develop a relationship and learn more over a year or two, and then make some long-term decisions" sort of scale, not a "Decide next month" sort of thing.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 10:47:59 am »
Hello!

Please help, thanks!
Maybe, the Wild Life is calling you? How do you feel about hyenas and foxes? After all, hyenas and foxes could be spirit animals. :)

Maybe, you should connect with the Nature more? :)

Hyenas and foxes are misunderstood animals by modern people, sadly. :(

IdiotPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 07:14:14 pm »
Sometimes research isn't the answer. (And I say this as someone who is a librarian...)

One of my primary deity commitments is with a goddess I've been honouring and serving and working with for twenty years, and I still do not have a ton of research-friendly information to go on. (A very specific floral scent that's hard to pin down: these days I'm pretty sure it's one of the ones that's very hard to do a synthetic for, so identifying it is going to depend on me wandering by that plant in bloom sometime. An image. A few bits from dreams and meditations. Nothing remotely like a name.)

I am pretty sure she's one of the many British goddesses of water, but which one? Does she have a name that survived, even? Who knows.

That does not, however, stop me having a meaningful practice. I took the stuff I did know, and used that when I wanted to create something that honoured her. I can't do the precise scent (because I don't know exactly what it is), but I figured out she also likes white roses, some other scented flowers. Having water on my shrine is often important.

Doing the stuff she wants me to do the world is even more important: through some ongoing ritual work (with some help from other people with different skillsets than mine) helped me figure that part out better, and that's the part that actually matters.

In your case, those two animals give you a way to narrow down geographically a fair bit (hyenas don't exactly live everywhere...) From that, you could figure out generally agreeable offerings that might work (cool water is a common one for that part of the world...) and you could make offerings and see what happened.

Don't make promises or long-term commitments to a deity you're not sure of, but a "Hi, I'm making this offering, I'm interested in learning more about you." and making some regular time in your life (meditation, ritual, art, etc.) where that might happen are often a good starting place. As you have specific questions ("Do you like this thing as an offering? Do you prefer this thing or this thing?") then using divination might give you some guidance, too.

And then give it some time. With any deity, the 'getting to know' process probably shouldn't be super short (some people fall in love with other humans at first meeting, and make things work, but I think we probably all know that the ones that work out long term take a bit more time to be sure, right?) But deities both work on a different time scale than we do, and when we don't have a name or research, the process of getting a feel of what makes sense just generally takes longer. This is a probably a "develop a relationship and learn more over a year or two, and then make some long-term decisions" sort of scale, not a "Decide next month" sort of thing.

Huh, I didn't think of it like that. Thanks! I'll probably give Them something tonight.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:15:50 pm by IdiotPagan »

IdiotPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:18:09 pm »
Maybe, the Wild Life is calling you? How do you feel about hyenas and foxes? After all, hyenas and foxes could be spirit animals. :)

Maybe, you should connect with the Nature more? :)

Hyenas and foxes are misunderstood animals by modern people, sadly. :(
I really like hyenas, they're like vultures (eating leftover food/meat) but nicer and less threatining. Foxes are sweet but I don't have as strong an appreciation for them as I do for hyenas.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »
I really like hyenas, they're like vultures (eating leftover food/meat) but nicer and less threatining. Foxes are sweet but I don't have as strong an appreciation for them as I do for hyenas.
There is an Aesop's Fable, ''The hyena and the fox''. Maybe it can help you. :)

Brangwen

• View Profile
  • Religion: Learning
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 09:56:00 am »

Enjoy the mystery while it lasts...think of it as divine "flirting."

Best. Response. Ever!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mooneclipse

• View Profile
  • Religion: Paganism
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 12:06:52 pm »
Hello!

Please help, thanks!

Did you find an answer by now?
I am a beginner too, so I don't know for sure, but I think that a Deity would first make a cautionary approach without revealing herself totally so that you have more time so to speak to decide if this Deity is the right one for you. As somebody else said, it is "flirting" at first.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 12:14:59 pm »
Did you find an answer by now?
I am a beginner too, so I don't know for sure, but I think that a Deity would first make a cautionary approach without revealing herself totally so that you have more time so to speak to decide if this Deity is the right one for you. As somebody else said, it is "flirting" at first.

Hey, mooneclipse -

We definitely don't mind people reviving old posts, but when it's older (this one is from 2020) and the original poster hasn't been around since shortly after posting it (you can see the last login date in their profile - to the left of their post if you're on the web), it's useful to take that info into account when reviving something.

(For example, maybe just asking about what a post made you think about, rather than seeking a response from the original poster.)

We have a post with some best practices for reviving old threads to help with this!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: