Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Have You Ever Made Your Own Pentacle or bought one?  (Read 3479 times)

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Have You Ever Made Your Own Pentacle or bought one?
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:29:47 pm »
I was just wondering have you ever made your own pentacle or bought one? If this is in the wrong section then you can move it. I made my own pentacle with what I had, a piece of paper and ink. I keep it on my altar when I'm doing workings like charging crystals, doing rituals, and charging mojo bags.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103194
I was just wondering have you ever made your own pentacle or bought one? If this is in the wrong section then you can move it. I made my own pentacle with what I had, a piece of paper and ink. I keep it on my altar when I'm doing workings like charging crystals, doing rituals, and charging mojo bags.

That's neat. Did you choose the paper and ink with intention? Most of the handmade pentacles I've seen have been wood or stone.

I don't practice magic that draws on the pentacle, so I've never used one, but I've made other altar pieces. Do you prefer having a homemade one or was it just a matter of convenience?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Have You Ever Made Your Own Pentacle or bought one?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:30:19 pm »
Quote from: Jack;103203
That's neat. Did you choose the paper and ink with intention? Most of the handmade pentacles I've seen have been wood or stone.

This may be a "depends what you use it for" - in my trad, it's sometimes used for the last drop or two of the chalice (turn the chalice upside down when it's been drained), and for that purpose, paper would be a really bad move.

Other practices I've seen sometimes include holding it to someone's forehead (where paper is probably functional, but not ideal) or using it as a physical tool to counterbalance the chalice (where again, the different weight/physicality might be distracting.)

For practices where you're charging something on one, though, paper will likely work quite well.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:19:52 pm »
Quote from: Jack;103203

I don't practice magic that draws on the pentacle, so I've never used one, but I've made other altar pieces. Do you prefer having a homemade one or was it just a matter of convenience?

I only had a piece of lined paper and regular ink but I did pour my intention of protection in it. I do prefer handmade items but if I can't make them then I will go with what is convenient, what I can afford or what's on hand in the house.

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;103210
This may be a "depends what you use it for" - in my trad, it's sometimes used for the last drop or two of the chalice (turn the chalice upside down when it's been drained), and for that purpose, paper would be a really bad move.

Other practices I've seen sometimes include holding it to someone's forehead (where paper is probably functional, but not ideal) or using it as a physical tool to counterbalance the chalice (where again, the different weight/physicality might be distracting.)

For practices where you're charging something on one, though, paper will likely work quite well.

Oh I agree, though I do like to go to a craft store at some point and get a round piece of wood and a wood burning kit. Draw the pentacle out and then burn it into the wood. Now that should be an interesting summer craft project.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:28:41 am »

I've done both. My first one was burned into wood, and then I bought my second. If I ever get handy at acid-etching I'll take another go at it.
Semper Fidelis

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:21 am »

I've sewn one onto a bag that is on my altar. I use it for cleansing crystals if I need to.

I've bought others.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Kokopelli

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:38:50 am »

I have two on my desk at work: one I made out of paper & one out of popsicle sticks.  (it's what I had available)

I do have one that wear around my neck that I bought.

On a side note,  since I am also a gamer, my "emblem" for Black Ops 2 is a pentacle.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:07:00 am »

I've made three. One was a wooden plate I bought at a craft store and painted up into a pentacle. It was the first ritual tool I ever made, back when I first started out as a Pagan, and I still have it, even though I don't use it anymore.

The other two I made out of air-drying clay. One was terracotta, and the other was white clay. I currently use the white clay one, while the terracotta one is now part of my portable altar kit. I use my white one mainly for magic and charging things. I don't have it out all the time, though. I only bring it out when I need it.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:11 am »

I bought a fancy knot-work-y slate one when I was like... nineteen or twenty. It's served me well. The only way I'd buy another one is if Sarah Lawless makes some more of those poisonous plant ones she did a while back. Gorgeous.

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 02:39:33 pm »

I made mine with clay as a pendant, and I put paint and a waterproof sealant on it, as the clay was just air-dry...

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 06:27:52 pm »

When I was 17 and just learning about Wicca trying to set up a small altar with very little money, I took a white paper plate and a black marker and made my own pentacle.  I drew the pentagram in the middle, followed an existing "circle" indent in the plate to circle around the pentagram to make the pentacle. The, I trimmed around the pentacle, cutting off the edge of the plate where it bends upwards and is ripply, so the finished product was totally flat. I still have this! but I don't use it. I'm currently using a small wood one that I purchased, which sits on my altar. And I have a silver pentacle necklace that I bought.
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:52 am »

I have pentacle jewelry I have bought, and for a long time I used a fancy silver-tone coaster as a pentacle (though the only actual pentacle it ever bore was drawn on with blessed water).

Right now, the pentacle on my altar is one I made out of salt dough.  It isn't sealed or painted at the moment, though I have considered painting it in some way.  I made some little statues at the same time, and used nail polish to paint them and they came out really neat looking, so considering that, or just using an old bottle of clear coat to keep it white.  If I don't end up choosing to paint/seal it, I will use it until it begins to degrade then make another!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: