collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 13 Sept 2019: $656 donated. $6 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Grounding and Centering?  (Read 836 times)

MeadowRae

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Location: West Virginia
  • Posts: 410
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 26
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Grounding and Centering?
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:40:39 am »
I have been looking at what kind of rituals I would like to incorporate into my path, and one aspect that seems to be included in almost every one is to ground or center yourself before you begin. From my limited research, it seems to mean that you clear your mind and prepare yourself for ritual, which I already do. I usually do some deep breathing and meditate on my intention for a few minutes before I start (I am hoping to extend my meditation time as time goes on!)

So, my question is, is this me "grounding" myself? Are there any techniques out there that have helped you find your center before going into ritual? Am I just overthinking this?
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Gigi Kiersten

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2014
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
Re: Grounding and Centering?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:01:02 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;181767
I have been looking at what kind of rituals I would like to incorporate into my path, and one aspect that seems to be included in almost every one is to ground or center yourself before you begin. From my limited research, it seems to mean that you clear your mind and prepare yourself for ritual, which I already do. I usually do some deep breathing and meditate on my intention for a few minutes before I start (I am hoping to extend my meditation time as time goes on!)

So, my question is, is this me "grounding" myself? Are there any techniques out there that have helped you find your center before going into ritual? Am I just overthinking this?

I think for the most part you got the centering part of the exercise pretty down pat. For me grounding is grounding my own energies in the earth to not only renew my own energy sources, but to help boost the energy of any spell or ritual I might doing. My own method is to imagine that energy is seeping through me, throw the floor, deep into the earth and connecting to the earth's core.

The most common technique is to imagine that yourself as a tree and that your energy are roots sinking deep into the earth. Again, just experiment and go with works best for you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:01:36 am by Gigi Kiersten »

Jenett

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Posts: 3077
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 634
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Grounding and Centering?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:30:50 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;181767

So, my question is, is this me "grounding" myself? Are there any techniques out there that have helped you find your center before going into ritual? Am I just overthinking this?

 
There are different ways people define centering and grounding.

In my training and practice, centering is knowing what's you, and what's external to you, what you're sensing and feeling and what's part of you, and what's coming from outside of you.

It helps you set aside external concerns (like worrying about bills or traffic or whatever else) and it also helps you make energetic preparations that make various kinds of energetic, magical, meditative, or other ritual work easier. (Also a useful skill if you're about to have a complicated conversation with someone, are having a bad day, or lots of other situations!)

Grounding, on the other hand, is about rebalancing energy: both getting rid of excess energy we have and drawing in more when we need it.

How much centering and grounding should be done before ritual is also a good question: some kinds of ritual work actually benefit from you being (deliberately) a bit ungrounded or uncentered (particularly magical workings where you want to create a specific instability and then move the situation along.)

I've got a lot more info on my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/ that you migh find helpful, including some specific exercises and things to try.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MeadowRae

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Location: West Virginia
  • Posts: 410
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 26
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Grounding and Centering?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;181773
There are different ways people define centering and grounding.

In my training and practice, centering is knowing what's you, and what's external to you, what you're sensing and feeling and what's part of you, and what's coming from outside of you.

It helps you set aside external concerns (like worrying about bills or traffic or whatever else) and it also helps you make energetic preparations that make various kinds of energetic, magical, meditative, or other ritual work easier. (Also a useful skill if you're about to have a complicated conversation with someone, are having a bad day, or lots of other situations!)

Grounding, on the other hand, is about rebalancing energy: both getting rid of excess energy we have and drawing in more when we need it.

How much centering and grounding should be done before ritual is also a good question: some kinds of ritual work actually benefit from you being (deliberately) a bit ungrounded or uncentered (particularly magical workings where you want to create a specific instability and then move the situation along.)

I've got a lot more info on my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/ that you migh find helpful, including some specific exercises and things to try.

 
Thank you for the breakdown. It all makes a lot more sense to me now. I also have some more reading to do on your site tonight. :) Jenny Cee, thank you for giving me a technique to try. I will utilize it during my next ritual. (Whenever that is, I definitely don't have a knack for timing yet.)
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Gigi Kiersten

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2014
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
Re: Grounding and Centering?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;181791
Thank you for the breakdown. It all makes a lot more sense to me now. I also have some more reading to do on your site tonight. :) Jenny Cee, thank you for giving me a technique to try. I will utilize it during my next ritual. (Whenever that is, I definitely don't have a knack for timing yet.)


You are very welcomed! I'm glad that you find some use for my advice. ;)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
2271 Views
Last post August 09, 2011, 04:49:34 pm
by benvarry
29 Replies
8244 Views
Last post November 16, 2011, 12:39:47 pm
by SatSekhem
0 Replies
8311 Views
Last post January 09, 2012, 03:48:10 pm
by GaiaDianne
7 Replies
1311 Views
Last post September 02, 2012, 03:07:13 am
by Naomi J
6 Replies
410 Views
Last post October 22, 2018, 06:50:17 pm
by Jenett

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall