[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Gaia  (Read 1723 times)

Faylie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Gaia
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:33:57 am »
Hello,
Since my last post I've been meditating, reading and using my cards and things.  I think I am starting to find my way a little bit.  A name that popped into things recently is Gaia.  I have read the basics about her, but haven't found much to do with her worship, how, if, when etc, only that she was the mother of the Greek pantheon, the titans, giants etc.  Once the golden age began she disappeared except for a brief mention with the birth of Erechtheus I think it was.  So, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of more in depth information?  

I am finding it a bit odd that she has come to mind for me as I have never been drawn to the Greek pantheon, much more the Celtic and Norse, which makes me think it is something important.

Also, a side question, the planets and the deities with the same name, how much of a connection is there between them?  I have a bear spirit guide who I know as Jupiter, I have always made the connection between him and the planet, but now came across the Roman Jupiter through the Greek / Roman crossovers and it just got me wondering if I need to find out more about him too.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Gaia
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:12:29 am »
Quote from: Faylie;37450
Hello,
Since my last post I've been meditating, reading and using my cards and things.  I think I am starting to find my way a little bit.  A name that popped into things recently is Gaia.  I have read the basics about her, but haven't found much to do with her worship, how, if, when etc, only that she was the mother of the Greek pantheon, the titans, giants etc.  Once the golden age began she disappeared except for a brief mention with the birth of Erechtheus I think it was.  So, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of more in depth information?  

Like many such deities, there is no evidence that she was really worshipped. There certainly was no cult of Gaia, or if there was, it left no evidence in history.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

TheGoddessDivine

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:33:16 am »
Hello,

I am finding it a bit odd that she has come to mind for me as I have never been drawn to the Greek pantheon, much more the Celtic and Norse, which makes me think it is something important.

Also, a side question, the planets and the deities with the same name, how much of a connection is there between them?  I have a bear spirit guide who I know as Jupiter, I have always made the connection between him and the planet, but now came across the Roman Jupiter through the Greek / Roman crossovers and it just got me wondering if I need to find out more about him too.

I am new on my journey as well, and also drawn to Gaia, more specifically the Gaia path. I am drawn to both Dianic and Gaia, and I find it interesting because lately what I've learned about Gaiaism and Wicca, I've really felt compelled to delve into more.

Faylie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:32 am »
Quote from: TheGoddessDivine;38159
I am new on my journey as well, and also drawn to Gaia, more specifically the Gaia path. I am drawn to both Dianic and Gaia, and I find it interesting because lately what I've learned about Gaiaism and Wicca, I've really felt compelled to delve into more.

Where have you found information about the Gaia path?  Pretty much all I have found about her is just in relation to the Greek mythos.  The odd blog post here and there but that's about it.

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:38:19 am »
Hello,

So, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of more in depth information?  

Try here, to start: http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Gaia.html

There's a ton of information there.

A book I have found helpful, but has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion of spirituality is: Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth by James Lovelock. It's based on his scientific theory that the earth is alive. However, it's written for people who are not scientists. I like it because it fits my own UPG notion of who/what Gaia is and was worshiped for.

I understand your frustration at a lack of available information. While some gods and goddesses were very well documented, other were or much information about them has been lost.

Also, you could read through Greek myths to do research.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Faylie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;38611
Try here, to start: http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Gaia.html

There's a ton of information there.

A book I have found helpful, but has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion of spirituality is: Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth by James Lovelock. It's based on his scientific theory that the earth is alive. However, it's written for people who are not scientists. I like it because it fits my own UPG notion of who/what Gaia is and was worshiped for.

I understand your frustration at a lack of available information. While some gods and goddesses were very well documented, other were or much information about them has been lost.

Also, you could read through Greek myths to do research.

I am sorry, I thought I had replied to this.  

I have been reading the Greek myths and been quite enjoying them.  I want to read the Illiad and Herodotus.  I have been finding the bits I have read about the Gaia Hypothesis very interesting.  When I first came across it it was doing a search for books about gardening, so I didn't read any more, I am only a very basic gardener and really only wanted info about vegie gardening so dismissed it as related to that and promptly forgot about it, so thank you for posting that link.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »

Um, this scares me...
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Faylie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:43 am »
Quote from: Castus;39179
Um, this scares me...

That's all very helpful, do you care to elaborate why?

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:19 am »

Most modern pagans see Gaia as the earth herself. Not just a Goddess of the Earth, she literally IS the ground beneath your feet. If you want to pursue this kind of path, I would look up the RDNA, they have some rather interesting earth-centred philosophy and liturgy. That's just an idea though, there are plenty of other centred trads out there too.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:12 am »
Quote from: Faylie;39394
That's all very helpful, do you care to elaborate why?

Ouch, sharp of tongue. Anyway I was/am merely uncomfortable with the identification of Jupiter with a 'bear spirit guide' or any astrological conflations. The planet and the deity have very little to do with each other beyond a pretty name for the planet; and I would not recommend looking further into Jupiter if your only interest is the result of your 'spirit guide'. There is simply no connection to be had.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
Hello,

The best I can offer is Theoi which you've probably already been to. We should really discuss with the mods getting XP for redundancy. LOL!

Since you're lacking in concrete information perhaps a good route to go would be to cobble together a daily/semi daily practice. The Neokoroi offer a set of standard rituals you can modify to fit your ideal worship framework. From there, perhaps you can build a small festival calendar for yourself surrounding things you find relevant to her as creator of earth.

Theoi would probably be the best place to start. From there you can get hymns for her praises, learn more about her stories, and figure out where your relationship, as worshiper,is going with you. I wouldn't be afraid to set up a small area where you can perform a libation to her at least once a day.

This is only my opinion, but I believe the best way to find out where a connection with a deity is coming from is to take a few steps back and ignite the spark of the "relationship."

I don't know about spirit guides as I've never had one, but if you're interested in planetary energies or magic in general, Christopher Warnock and John Michael Greer might be a good place to start. I have a few books I can recommend but I don't know where your interests lay.

Bear in mind while a lot of the planets were named after Greco-Roman deities, that doesn't mean there's a connection. If I recall correctly, the modern names we have weren't about until the middle ages or the Renaissance (I haven't had coffee so I'm super fuzzy and I could be hella wrong.)

If you are interested in book titles pop me a PM and I can gladly share. :) I don't want to clog up your thread. Hope I was able to help.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:03:07 am »
Quote from: dionysiandame;39599
Bear in mind while a lot of the planets were named after Greco-Roman deities, that doesn't mean there's a connection. If I recall correctly, the modern names we have weren't about until the middle ages or the Renaissance (I haven't had coffee so I'm super fuzzy and I could be hella wrong.)

Not "hella wrong", but only partly right.  There's definitely some stuff that didn't come up, or didn't take its modern form, until the Renaissance (or even later), but most of the naming-after was done by the Greeks and Romans.

Faylie, that link is mostly for your benefit, since it answers that part of your question so well - it didn't occur to me to check until dionysiandame mentioned it.  So while DD's memory might be fuzzy without coffee, lack of caffeine doesn't interfere with her ability to make productive posts!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: