collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 25 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by SunflowerP
[Today at 06:51:33 pm]

Re: Crazy thought by Sefiru
[Today at 06:18:59 pm]

Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by Delphinium
[Today at 04:55:01 pm]

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 04:09:16 pm]

Re: Recently Blogged by Kylara
[Today at 01:34:16 pm]

Author Topic: Folk tradition with Elemental creatures resources?  (Read 741 times)

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Folk tradition with Elemental creatures resources?
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:58 am »
Hello everyone!

I am new in the forum and I would like to ask you for some information. but first, I'm going to try to be as specific as I can on what am I looking for. (please, forgive if my denominations are not accurate such as : folk, elementals etc)

At the moment, I am very interested in folk tradition; particularly, the interaction with the elementals. I'm going to put some examples of what I mean:

• The grandmother of a girl I know used to leave dishes with honey and milk on her garden for the faeries.
  • In my country (south america) "Duendes" (goblins?) are very common house creatures, and to get rid of them you have to do something "disgusting" such as eating on the toilet.

I found this type of "oral tradition" on how to interact with elemental creatures (or, this sort of creatures) fascinating, and I am looking for more information about this type of "interaction". In particular, with creatures bounded to the geographic zone I am currently living (Alps)

I have started reading "Teutonic Mythology" by Grimm and it seems like a very vast complex book about Heathenism in general and I am loving it, but I am also looking for this more simple oral folk traditions. Any ideas? resources?

Thank you!

Mariea

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Folk tradition with Elemental creatures resources?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:40:11 am »
Quote from: sally_neuf;121018
Hello everyone!

I am new in the forum and I would like to ask you for some information. but first, I'm going to try to be as specific as I can on what am I looking for. (please, forgive if my denominations are not accurate such as : folk, elementals etc)

At the moment, I am very interested in folk tradition; particularly, the interaction with the elementals. I'm going to put some examples of what I mean:

• The grandmother of a girl I know used to leave dishes with honey and milk on her garden for the faeries.
  • In my country (south america) "Duendes" (goblins?) are very common house creatures, and to get rid of them you have to do something "disgusting" such as eating on the toilet.

I found this type of "oral tradition" on how to interact with elemental creatures (or, this sort of creatures) fascinating, and I am looking for more information about this type of "interaction". In particular, with creatures bounded to the geographic zone I am currently living (Alps)

I have started reading "Teutonic Mythology" by Grimm and it seems like a very vast complex book about Heathenism in general and I am loving it, but I am also looking for this more simple oral folk traditions. Any ideas? resources?

Thank you!

Some of the things you are interested in have been cropping up in some of the areas I've been reading lately, lots of Welsh and Northern English Folklore and Mythology. I've found tonnes of great reading at the Sacred Text place. It's worth checking out some famous books' bibliographies, see where the authors were going to for their info.

I loved reading about how you get rid of your goblins! One of my favourite hobbies is trying to discover/guess how these things come about in the first place. So fascinating.

This might start you off in a fun direction.

British Goblins
Welsh Folk-lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions
by Wirt Sikes
[1880]

Good luck!

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:28:02 am »
Quote from: Mariea;121100

British Goblins
Welsh Folk-lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions
by Wirt Sikes
[1880]

Good luck!

Thank you! I'll check it :D  Apart from that, Paracelsus also wrote a bit about elemental creatures... but then, it is more on their description than any interaction

Mariea

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47:34 am »
Quote from: sally_neuf;121106
Thank you! I'll check it :D  Apart from that, Paracelsus also wrote a bit about elemental creatures... but then, it is more on their description than any interaction

Paracelsus sounds like an interesting chap! I've just had a little read around him, gonna start the afternoon with him and see where I end up, thank you back heh.

Tags: